Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn vs No Clean Burn

Options
Does anyone ever take part in a high temp clean burn once in awhile? I have a theory that since BBQ joints do not clean their pits why should I? Is this just me being lazy or should I partake in this said clean burn for some added benefit?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You will get both sides of this equation.  I'm in the "no clean burn camp" as I figure the hot&fast cooks are sufficient.  Others swear by it-
    Wherever you land-if you go the clean burn route, pull your thermo first and you will likely need a new gasket (unless running with a Rutland or Coltronics now) after the event. 
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I've had my egg for more than a year and have yet to do a clean burn. For me this is an issue of pure laziness than anything else. There are some reasonable arguments for doing them but I just haven't bothered. Cooks still turn out great.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    @marcfed ~ there really is no reason for a clean burn unless you are doing baking on your Egg too. You can get the BBQ taste on your breads, pies, cookies, pretzels, etc. I do a fair amount of baking on my XL and do not perform clean burns. I simply try to bake after a HOT cook like pizzas or I will light my Egg for a bake and let it burn for a pretty good time before placing my cook on the grill. Some Eggheads have a seperate Egg dedicated just for baking! No meats allowed.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

@marcfed ~ there really is no reason for a clean burn unless you are doing baking on your Egg too. You can get the BBQ taste on your breads, pies, cookies, pretzels, etc. I do a fair amount of baking on my XL and do not perform clean burns. I simply try to bake after a HOT cook like pizzas or I will light my Egg for a bake and let it burn for a pretty good time before placing my cook on the grill. Some Eggheads have a seperate Egg dedicated just for baking! No meats allowed.

This sums up what I was going to say.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @lousubcap says it best, a mix of low and slows and hot cooks will keep it clean. There is nothing wrong with using a soft nylon brush and just knocking the big lumps off. 
    The residue left after a number of low and slows will flavour a higher temp roast or sear in not always the best way. Does it have to be white like when it was new? No.
    After a multiple pizza cook I sometimes let it burn out, usually in the 600-700ºF range, seems to keep it seasoned yet clean. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    My clean burns now are simply letting it run up to 600 - 700 after a relatively hot & fast cook, and throwing whatever has the most crap on it in there to get cleaned. As long as the firebox area gunk burns off and any drips are taken care of I'm happy. I do this every few weeks if I have the time, usually using it as an excuse for an extra cigar and a few cocktails :))

I don't worry about the inside of the part of the rest of the egg, heck, the inside of my dome looks like a well seasoned wok :)
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    I cracked my fire bowl doing a > 750 clean burn last month. Never again for me.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I do a clean burn after a couple of pork butt cooks in the summer because grease build up seems to promote mold growth when it is warm and humid. I also do like Hapster and let it ride in the 600 degree range after a hot cook when I have already added several times to the charcoal and not cleaned any out.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    no clean burn for me.... but i do frequent pizza cooks at 550+ and that seams to get everything looking nice and clean
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Hankyorke said:
    I cracked my fire bowl doing a > 750 clean burn last month. Never again for me.
    First crack? You just broke your cherry. Take a picture to your dealer and get a new one. Then put it on the shelf until the old one completely falls apart.