Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan on turbo boston butt

I just started my first indirect cook with my XLBGE and while browsing for recipes I saw a note about drip pans burning up. My plan for the 7 lb pork shoulder was 350 degrees with some juice and water in the pan. I am only 3 hours into the cook. Should I worry about the drip pan or do something in the middle of the cook?
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    You'll want to keep an eye on it to make sure you still have liquid in the pan. In my opinion it's not that big of a deal, but if you don't want the drippings in the pan to burn, just watch it.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Thanks. With this being my first indirect I'm trying to weigh not peeking vs the burnt drip pan. Maybe I will peek at 4 hours.
  • I never use a drip pan. More trouble than it is worth, and I am not sure it adds anything anyway.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    I rarely if ever use a drip pan.
  • pretzelb
    I was just trying to keep the plate setter clean but maybe next time I will just use foil.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    That seems to be what most people do for trying to keep the plate setter clean.  It's another thing that I don't bother with I just scrape it off and rinse after.  It seems kind of a waste of foil to me, I've got an XL too and that would be a lot of foil.
  • pretzelb
    I opened it at 4.5 hours and added more water. Forgot to take a quick temp reading or picture. Oh well, it is the first attempt. I should be good until 7 hours when I check it again.
  • pretzelb
    I checked again a 7 hours and was surprised to find it done at 190. Plenty of water left in the pan. I wrapped it in foil and a towel and let it sit in a cooler for another 3 hours before eating. Turned out good for a first try. I was surprised at how much lump it used though. It was nearly all gone. Can't wait to try again.