Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maybe boring BUT SO GOOD!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Last night was my first attempt at re-inventing myself with pizza. I've gotten in the rut of using several cheeses over the years so I asked about what to use that seemed to be popular. I also tried a knock off Papa Murphy thin crust recipe that I found on the net. So here was my new chewy crust, with homemade mozzarella, provolone and a dusting of parmesan regiano as the only cheeses. Man-o-man was this a winner!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    That is far from boring sir!  Nice to see you cut back on the cheeses.  I bet your homemade mozz singed a beautiful song with the provolone.  Well done!  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Boring or not ... looks amazing!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    This looks Great!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    wow, looks great!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    ... just told SWMBO it will be Pizzas on the Egg tonite! :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Man, that looks REALLY good, Ron. Excellent!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Crust recipe please
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Recipe for the crust please
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • RRP
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Papa Murphy Knock Off Dough Recipe from Internet

Ingredients 1 ¼ cups warm water 1 packet active dry yeast 1 ¼ tablespoons sugar 3 ¼ cups flour for bread ½ teaspoon salt Directions Mix together the first three ingredients in a glass container with a two cup or large capacity. Allow to sit for eight to ten minutes. The mixture will froth somewhat. Place flour and salt in a large bowl or in the mixing bowl of a mixer with a dough hook. A bread machine set to manual will also work. Add liquid to flour and mix thoroughly for four to six minutes, adding flour or water if dough is too dry or wet. The end result should be slightly stick and firm. Remove from bowl and place in an airtight bag, draping the bag nearly but not completely closed to allow gases to escape. Leave in a warm place for an hour and a half for proper rising. Do not allow to rise more than two hours. Bread machine users may allow dough to rise inside the bread machine. Place on a fourteen inch pizza sheet for thick crust and a sixteen inch sheet for thin crust. Roll out and prick with fork. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise fifteen to twenty minutes more. Prick with fork again. Top pizza as desired. Preheat oven to 475 to 525 degrees (thicker toppings will require a higher temperature) and bake until crust is golden on the edges and cheese has browned and is bubbly. 

RRP here…I baked at 500 and rolled my crust out on parchment paper. 8 minutes into he bake I removed the paper and by just 10 minutes in total that crust and pizza was perfect!
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2014
    Options

If that is boring then boring looks delicious.

Is that dough toss able or does it need to be rolled out?  Just curious, I have nothing against rolling. 

Also I wonder if "00" flour would work or if bread flour is better for that recipe?

• RRP
    edited January 2014
    Options

If that is boring then boring looks delicious.

Is that dough toss able or does it need to be rolled out?  Just curious, I have nothing against rolling. 

Also I wonder if "00" flour would work or if bread flour is better for that recipe?

Joe, the recipe just specified bread flour and not "general purpose" flour. As for tossable I'd say yes it could be - I even initially spread the ball from the center out with my fingers on the parchment pass underneath. I do prefer uniform thickness so I did roll it. Another trick I used was rather than introduce more flour via the rolling pin I spread Saran Wrap on top of the sticky dough and rolled on it.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I might give that a try this week. I am sort of a toss a little then press out with my fingers guy and I do like a chewy crust. I only asked because the last couple of dough's I made I used '00" flour and it does have a smoother consistency then when I use regular bread flour. I wonder how it freezes.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    yum, bookmarked
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Looks like a home run!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Boring? Hardly! Delicious.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Looks great Ron.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Options
    Nope, nothing boring there. Pizza is one of my favorites on the egg.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH