Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moose!

Options
Have 4lb moose roast, have no idea how to cook!!!! Want to marinade or dry rub, any suggestions? What temp, and time , internal temp so on and so on! Thanks! :D

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    wow, I have never had moose or known anyone who has, lol!  I bet someone on here can help you though.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Cook it like deer or elk. It has no fat like the rest. Marinade or inject it with your choice. Tooth pick some bacon strips on it and cook it like any roast about 3 to 350. I would pull it when the IT hits about 110 or so. It needs to be med rare other wise like deer if you overcook it it will dry out and taste like s&%#.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    @laserdoc85 My marinade calls for 1/4c if Worcestershire sauce, but just seen I have none, u think I ca use some beef broth instead? It also has soy sauce, garlic, onion, salt pepper.
  • marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    Options
    I would use Dales or Moores steak liquid seasoning
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Beef broth should work fine. Mix a bit of soy with the beef broth and do a taste test. I would not inject with dales. I love dales but it is a bit salty. What ever you inject it with rub it down with salt and pepper and wrap it up with bacon. Or head out to get some Worcestershire sauce and the store. Just don't over do it
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    @daffy1909, do you have pictures of this Moose?? I just got back from Wyoming and saw some Moose for the first time. It was really something to see!
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    My advice for what it's worth having never cooked moose, cut off any fat. Wild game fat is no bueno.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Moose is so much like beef that I'm sure anyway you do a very lean beef roast will be fine. I've cooked lots of moose but only in the oven, moist heat. Never egged but I agree that med rare at most would be best. Moose fat is nothing like deer fat which is much more tallow like. I wouldn't worry as much about removing fat as I would with deer.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You should find out where the roast is cut from. If it's rump or chuck you need to braise or moist cook somehow. If it's loin you can cook hot and fast to med-rare max.

Steve 

Caledon, ON