Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tailgating with BGE

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you tailgaters out there do with your EGGs while your watching the game? Hot coals? Hot egg inside an suv? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.[p]Leaving Mr. Green out for someone to take or damage doesn't sound good either.[p]Any suggestions?[p]Roll Tide.[p]B~F

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]A mini is no problem and I have used it alot for shore lunches while guiding. Check out the post below from the archive for additional information.[p]Z

[ul][li]Traveling Mini[/ul]
  • Zip
    Options
    Zip,[p]I forgot to say that I just dump it out in a water filled pan and throw away. The key is to put the minimum charcoal in it as you will need for the cook you are doing. The welding gloves are a must as well.[p]I hope this helps and I'm sure others will add to this as well.[p]Zip

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Zip,
    Thanks for the prompt reply![p]How long will it take the egg to cool after you empty out the hot coals if you leave it open?[p]B~F

• Zip
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]I would guess about a good hour or so. I usually dump out the embers as soon as I get finished cooking and leave the top open until I have to leave. Then in the bucket it goes and I put the lid on it and place it in the Blazer. It is not cool, but it is not hot enough to start a fire either. If I had to say how long it cooled before it goes in the truck, I'd say about 20 minutes. [p]Zip - a misplaced Bama fan in Florida, but not far from Lake Butler the home of Zow.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Probably a dumb idea, but you could turn a metal trash can over it and put the lid on, thereby disguising it. Or disguise it as a big avocado. Or....heck, I'm really tired. I'd better head on home now! Sorry.
    Cheers,
    G.
    (I guess the Nittany Lions don't play the Crimson Tide any more, do we? Bear Bryant was JoePa's big nemesis for years!)

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]ST and I tailgate at Jets games. We start cooking at about 9 and try and shut the Egg down by noonish. We remove all the coals and chain the Egg to ST's truck and attend the game which starts at 1pm. By the end of the game (usu a little after 4), the Egg is cool.[p]Now I just gotta fit the small in the mustang...[p]the bge and tailgating - perfect together.
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Just reread your post and to clarify, we chain the Egg to ST's truck and leave it between his truck and my car since we park next to each other since we get there so early. This way, we don't have to worry about people hitting it with their cars. Also, don't know how long it takes to cool. just know that it cools at some point during the length of a normal pro football game.[p]July 29th is the first preseason game. man am i psyched!!![p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]One more clarification, we usually remove the hot coals with tongs and submerge them in water to cool before putting them in a trash bag with our other garbage. The biggest threat at that point is some drunken person damaging the Egg (not by car since it's between two cars, not stealing it since it's chained). I don't know how you can prevent someone from random destruction like that. Thankfully, it never happened to us last year (knock on wood).[p]Cornfed
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    I take my mini to the games in Athens,i only have one thing to say.....Goooooooooooooo Dawgs..Sicum..woof woof woof.
    YB

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I had kinda worked through the chain thing in my head -- I just fifure out how to keep the random drunkass destruction from occurring. Maybe it's covered by my insurance? Time to check on the deductable.[p]Roll Tide![p]B~F

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Gretl,
    Nope -- they won't schedule each other any longer. I'm not quite sure why -- it was one great rivalry![p]I have a print of the 1979 Goal Line Stand at the Sugar Bowl. [p]READY FOR FOOTBALL SEASON!!!

• Bama Fire
    Options
    YB,
    what's up with the turf btw the hedges? Why won't the grass grow?

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Zip,
    Last year was a good year to be a Bama fan in FLA![p]The metal bucket is a good idea.... The wife thinks that cooking on the large at home is a better idea than taking a small to the games, though. :-(

• Zip
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]The old trick of cooking large items like butts, briskets, and ribs and placing in a pre heated cooler would be the easiest. If you need to extend the holding times, you can place bottles of boiling water in the cooler around the meat. I use Gatoraid ( the only gator item I buy) and fill with boiling water and cap. They will keep the meat at 140° for several hours if you don't open the lid.[p]What ever happened to Jay Barker? [p]Zip[p]

• Zip
    Options
    Correction - I was trying to say quart Gatorade bottles, not boiling Gatorade. [p]Z

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Tif bermuda does not like 4 wheel drive trucks,everything is back to normal now,good luck on your season.
    YB