Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's a wittle wittle baby

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I just threw on a 8 lb packer which likely was around 7 pounds after trimming.  I'm pretty sad at myself for buying it because the point was very tiny in comparison to the flat.  Oh well, it was only $20 and it gives me something to do when the family is out of town.  
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Yeah..  I'm going to need pics for the Christmas card, please...  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Well, here it is.  Probably the best brisket i've made to date.  I definitely need a better knife (or a Ken Onion) or something.  I had trouble cutting through the bark, even though it wasn't very hard.  I also missed a couple spots on my trimming as I left a lil too much fat in one spot that didn't render properly. 

Before I pulled it off.

After I split the point
    Nom nom

So here is the funny thing.  I made this massive sammie and I had to do the Triple D mouth open to shove it in.  I was amazed.  I called the wife over and I said, "I know this is humongous, but take a bite".  She said "holy ****, is there sauce on that"?  I tell her no and she asks for another bite, then said "that has to be some of the moistest brisket i've ever had.  Make me one!"  I built the sammie with point on the bottom with flat on the top so we were getting all types of goodness.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice. .. I'm not cooking for you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Looks great @cazzy must be the camera :) Hold me a plate
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nicely done! One question...Do you deliver and what delivery zone would PA be?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Might be time to reconsider the "small" briskets!

I still don't like "too tall" sammiches, though... 
    ~X(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• cazzy
    Botch said:
    Might be time to reconsider the "small" briskets!

I still don't like "too tall" sammiches, though... 
    ~X(
    You would have gladly crushed that one!  Promise!  
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That looks awesome. Haven't had brisket in a month and have been craving it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The brisket looks awesome from here.  Could go for one of those sandwichs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Man I'll eat that.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Yum!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice job on the brisket and a tasty looking sammich!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    That looks awesome. I have a friend in the competition circuit. When he does brisket he has a piece of wood shaped like a half moon a few inches long. He puts it on the grill and the brisket on top and it raises the center a bit and stops the puddling.
  • cazzy
    ericp said:
    That looks awesome. I have a friend in the competition circuit. When he does brisket he has a piece of wood shaped like a half moon a few inches long. He puts it on the grill and the brisket on top and it raises the center a bit and stops the puddling.
    Great tip..thanks!
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Cazzy. Would you share your recipe and technique??
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    ericp said:

Cazzy. Would you share your recipe and technique??

A minimalist would be a perfect way to describe my bbq approach. I don't inject, foil, flip, spray, or baste. I have tried paper once on a brisket and didn't have luck, but i want to experiment with that again in the near future. I have tremendous success with paper on butts. Okay...onward to my approach that is down to very few steps now.

- pull out your packer 1 hour before cook time
    - trim packer to a quarter inch of fat on the fat cap and remove all hard fat (Aaron Franklin has a great YouTube video on carving)
    - stabilize your egg @ 250 with some oak
    - season your meat
    - put it on fat cap up, point towards the back of the egg (I suggest using something to monitor your brisket without opening. Maverick or whatever and prove it into the thickest part of the flat)
    - Check for tenderness on the flat at 190 to see how close you are. Do so every 30 min or at every degree change after 197 or 198 until it feels like you're probing butttttaaahhhhhh.
    - pull and wrap your meat in foil for a mandatory 1 hour minimum rest.
    - unwrap and carve against the grain. I don't even seperate the point anymore. When the grain changes on the flat as you're nearing the point, turn it sideways and split the point.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Did you just say "pull out your packer"?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    henapple said:

Did you just say "pull out your packer"?

Sure freaking did!
  • What do you season with? Just S&P?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    What do you season with? Just S&P?
    I alternate between S&P and Texas BBQ Grand Champion.