Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

It's a wittle wittle baby

cazzycazzy Posts: 7,143
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I just threw on a 8 lb packer which likely was around 7 pounds after trimming.  I'm pretty sad at myself for buying it because the point was very tiny in comparison to the flat.  Oh well, it was only $20 and it gives me something to do when the family is out of town.  
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
·

Comments

• MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,181
    Yeah..  I'm going to need pics for the Christmas card, please...  
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,143
    edited January 2014
    Well, here it is.  Probably the best brisket i've made to date.  I definitely need a better knife (or a Ken Onion) or something.  I had trouble cutting through the bark, even though it wasn't very hard.  I also missed a couple spots on my trimming as I left a lil too much fat in one spot that didn't render properly. 

Before I pulled it off.

After I split the point
    Nom nom

So here is the funny thing.  I made this massive sammie and I had to do the Triple D mouth open to shove it in.  I was amazed.  I called the wife over and I said, "I know this is humongous, but take a bite".  She said "holy ****, is there sauce on that"?  I tell her no and she asks for another bite, then said "that has to be some of the moistest brisket i've ever had.  Make me one!"  I built the sammie with point on the bottom with flat on the top so we were getting all types of goodness.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Nice. .. I'm not cooking for you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,249
    Looks great @cazzy must be the camera :) Hold me a plate
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 5,846
    Nicely done! One question...Do you deliver and what delivery zone would PA be?
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA
    XL BGE - S BGE - Blackstone Pizza Oven - 30" Steel Fire Pit w/Cooking Grid - Hasty Bake Legacy - KJ Jr - Gasser
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,960
    Might be time to reconsider the "small" briskets!

I still don't like "too tall" sammiches, though... 
    ~X(

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    Botch said:
    Might be time to reconsider the "small" briskets!

I still don't like "too tall" sammiches, though... 
    ~X(
    You would have gladly crushed that one!  Promise!  
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That looks awesome. Haven't had brisket in a month and have been craving it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • The brisket looks awesome from here.  Could go for one of those sandwichs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,038
    Man I'll eat that.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,283
    Yum!
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Nice job on the brisket and a tasty looking sammich!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • ericpericp Posts: 152
    That looks awesome. I have a friend in the competition circuit. When he does brisket he has a piece of wood shaped like a half moon a few inches long. He puts it on the grill and the brisket on top and it raises the center a bit and stops the puddling.
    ·
    ericp said:
    That looks awesome. I have a friend in the competition circuit. When he does brisket he has a piece of wood shaped like a half moon a few inches long. He puts it on the grill and the brisket on top and it raises the center a bit and stops the puddling.
    Great tip..thanks!
    ·
  • ericpericp Posts: 152
    Cazzy. Would you share your recipe and technique??
    ·
    edited January 2014
    ericp said:

Cazzy. Would you share your recipe and technique??

A minimalist would be a perfect way to describe my bbq approach. I don't inject, foil, flip, spray, or baste. I have tried paper once on a brisket and didn't have luck, but i want to experiment with that again in the near future. I have tremendous success with paper on butts. Okay...onward to my approach that is down to very few steps now.

- pull out your packer 1 hour before cook time
    - trim packer to a quarter inch of fat on the fat cap and remove all hard fat (Aaron Franklin has a great YouTube video on carving)
    - stabilize your egg @ 250 with some oak
    - season your meat
    - put it on fat cap up, point towards the back of the egg (I suggest using something to monitor your brisket without opening. Maverick or whatever and prove it into the thickest part of the flat)
    - Check for tenderness on the flat at 190 to see how close you are. Do so every 30 min or at every degree change after 197 or 198 until it feels like you're probing butttttaaahhhhhh.
    - pull and wrap your meat in foil for a mandatory 1 hour minimum rest.
    - unwrap and carve against the grain. I don't even seperate the point anymore. When the grain changes on the flat as you're nearing the point, turn it sideways and split the point.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Did you just say "pull out your packer"?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    henapple said:

Did you just say "pull out your packer"?

Sure freaking did!
    ·
  • What do you season with? Just S&P?
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
    What do you season with? Just S&P?
    I alternate between S&P and Texas BBQ Grand Champion.
    ·