Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Bean question?

So I'm thinking its time I tried a pot of beans on the egg and it appears most use canned beans over dried beans any reasons why other than convenience??
For some reason dried seem healthier to me maybe less processed,less salt????

Considering Keri's beans (i think) they have apple filling in them and I love apples so why not start there right!!!

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,592
    Canned is always for convenience. Dry beans are better in every other way.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 13,657
    So I'm thinking its time I tried a pot of beans on the egg and it appears most use canned beans over dried beans any reasons why other than convenience??
    For some reason dried seem healthier to me maybe less processed,less salt????

Considering Keri's beans (i think) they have apple filling in them and I love apples so why not start there right!!!

Jamie.
    Jamie, I always use Bush's beans for the Keri's Beans recipe for one reason...convenience since the only time I make that recipe I am taking them to a pot luck BY request! I'm not sure most people can tell the difference between fresh and canned in that recipe for sure! Are you open to another suggestion with Keri's Bean recipe? Substitute cherry pie filling for apple pie filling and the raves you will get will triple! TRUST ME!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,158
    My favorite bean
    Mr-Bean-s-holiday-mr-bean-28500182-1366-738.jpg
    1366 x 738 - 97K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,662
    Agree with Eggcelsior, except that I don't use canned because of "convenience", but because I forgot to start dried ones soaking the night before.  I do that a lot.   :(

I got a pressure cooker a few months back, have been experimenting with using it on dry beans but they still (so far) haven't matched those soaked from the night before.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • TexansurfTexansurf Posts: 198
    Being from South Texas, I will say make your beans from the dried, It is an art just like a good brisket.  Follow the directions on the bag and you can cook them quicker.  Also add more water than you think. 
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,616
    If I remember to soak them then I would. They're cheaper for sure. Canned beans always get drained and rinsed in a colendar when I do baked beans.
    Dunedin, FL