Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bean question?

Options
So I'm thinking its time I tried a pot of beans on the egg and it appears most use canned beans over dried beans any reasons why other than convenience??
For some reason dried seem healthier to me maybe less processed,less salt????

Considering Keri's beans (i think) they have apple filling in them and I love apples so why not start there right!!!

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Canned is always for convenience. Dry beans are better in every other way.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    So I'm thinking its time I tried a pot of beans on the egg and it appears most use canned beans over dried beans any reasons why other than convenience??
    For some reason dried seem healthier to me maybe less processed,less salt????

Considering Keri's beans (i think) they have apple filling in them and I love apples so why not start there right!!!

Jamie.
    Jamie, I always use Bush's beans for the Keri's Beans recipe for one reason...convenience since the only time I make that recipe I am taking them to a pot luck BY request! I'm not sure most people can tell the difference between fresh and canned in that recipe for sure! Are you open to another suggestion with Keri's Bean recipe? Substitute cherry pie filling for apple pie filling and the raves you will get will triple! TRUST ME!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My favorite bean
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Agree with Eggcelsior, except that I don't use canned because of "convenience", but because I forgot to start dried ones soaking the night before.  I do that a lot.   :(

I got a pressure cooker a few months back, have been experimenting with using it on dry beans but they still (so far) haven't matched those soaked from the night before.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Being from South Texas, I will say make your beans from the dried, It is an art just like a good brisket.  Follow the directions on the bag and you can cook them quicker.  Also add more water than you think. 
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    If I remember to soak them then I would. They're cheaper for sure. Canned beans always get drained and rinsed in a colendar when I do baked beans.
    Dunedin, FL