Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

unwanted can/bottle of beer clarification

brimee
brimee Posts: 127

I need to clarify this from a previous comment I made and forgot all about...

Have you ever had the guest that just tried to fit in? They bring beer to your party that they might drink one of any no one else touches, i.e. Coors Light etc. and they leave it in the beer fridge. Well I have some of those and the last left a bunch of Michelob Ultra, not even worth drinking.

That is the definition of "unwanted can/bottle of beer" The brands of your "unwanted can/bottle of beer" might differ from mine but there is such a thing, some just may not have discovered them yet but they will...

Someday.

Brian
Fairview, Texas

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    No worries. Anything that is "name brand"(budweiser, coors, miller) is unwanted for me. Water has more flavor.
  • Loosemoose
    Loosemoose Posts: 295
    edited January 2014
    Coors is just colored water so no foul in my book. Michelob ultra probably sucks too.
    But it is still a beer ya know…well kinda.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Michelob ultra = Dasani
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Real Budweiswer, the one in the red and white can is very good beer. I am not kidding. Next time order one at the bar and you will be surprised how good it is.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior

Real Budweiswer, the one in the red and white can is very good beer. I am not kidding. Next time order one at the bar and you will be surprised how good it is.

I have. I'm not impressed. The only good "mass produced" beer that I have had is yuengling and Sam Adams. I'm spoiled by craft beer, so I'm pretty biased about it.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Lite beer is like sex in a canoe.
    Tjcoley said:

Lite beer is like sex in a canoe.

This
  • henapple
    I can't decide which beer I like. ..
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Next summer I'd like to try watering my tomatoes with "unwanted" beer, to see what happens; but, I don't have any friends that bring any over.  :(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• henapple
    Pretty good for a Texas beer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I happen to have just the opposite problem. I will drink an occasional beer, but I have Sam Adams, Guinness and some other brands left in my bar frig that I personally can't stand. Guess I should just throw them out, huh?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • brimee
    henapple said:
    Pretty good for a Texas beer.

Shiner has become my fav...

Cheer

Ruby Red Bird

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • brimee
    RRP said:
    I happen to have just the opposite problem. I will drink an occasional beer, but I have Sam Adams, Guinness and some other brands left in my bar frig that I personally can't stand. Guess I should just throw them out, huh?

Use it in your drip pan...

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Botch
    edited January 2014
    Incidentally, my go-to, hot-day-finished-mowing-the-lawn beer is mass-'murican-manufactured Miller High Life, ice-cold.  Yes, it is like making love in a canoe, and church-mandated weak here in utard.  Just like my iced tea, which is weak, sun-brewed without the sun (straight into the frig) and unsweetened.  I like to gulp, weakly-flavored water is just fine for me.  
    Sure, I like the occasional deep, complex beer that you can chew slowly (love the occasional Guinness) but ice-cold, weak beer hits the spot a lot of the time.
    So sue me.     
    ~:>

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    For me, there's an occasion for every beer. I like craft and micro brews better than mass produced, but there are times when a good lite beer just works. And by good I mean Bud Light, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    I've never had a PBR but I've heard it's good.
  • I'm guessing you meant miller lite. :D
    Nowhere Indiana
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Life is too short for light/lite beer!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Black and Tan... Murphys Stout and Harps.
  • Fine domestics are great on a hot summer day after mowing the yard and getting the egg ready. I am happy with any kind of beer though... Except for the worst beer ever made and that would be Cave Creek Chili beer. Never would I have a need for a beer with a jalapeño pepper marinating since it was first bottled. This is the one beer I would have no problem throwing out if it was left at my house.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • Botch
    edited January 2014
    Auburntgr said:
    Fine domestics are great on a hot summer day after mowing the yard and getting the egg ready. I am happy with any kind of beer though... Except for the worst beer ever made and that would be Cave Creek Chili beer. Never would I have a need for a beer with a jalapeño pepper marinating since it was first bottled. This is the one beer I would have no problem throwing out if it was left at my house.

The only beer I couldn't actually finish was "K&B Lager", from Australia.  It tasted like a slice of Wonder Bread soaked in a glass of water, left in the sun all afternoon.  OMFG that was bad!  
    I don't like beers, like you, with ANY "extra" flavorings, be they chiles, fruit, honey, scorpions, etc.  

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I like beer(s).
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

I drink beer as long as there is not fruit in it. I agree with the Coors light and Michelob Ultra as being crap. I've never been able to drink more then one Coors light. I see nothing wrong with Miller light though. I'm drinking one right now.

Other then the Miller light drink I a lot of other beers and stock a lot of different one in the man cave.

Right now I have some 16 Mile, two different types of Long Board, one is a pale ale and I can't remember the other off hand, some home brew,  Smithwicks. and of coarse Miller Lite.

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I call those "unwanted" beers "cooking beer". It's what I use for drip pans and for cooking brats. I much prefer craft beers. Of cheap, mass produced american style lagers, I go with either Yuengling or Coors Original.....both very good Lighter American beers. However, most of the time,I much prefer a good craft beer.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Hey, how would life be if you could not complain about:
    Schlitz
    PBR
    Stroh's
    Falstaff
    Black Label
    Schaefer
    Iron City 
    Knickerbocker Natural
    Wisconsin Club
    Blatz
    Grain Belt
    Hamm's
    Schoenling
    Gennessee
    Schmidt
    Little Kings
    Mickeys Malt Liquor
    Colt 45
    Rolling Rock
    etc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Light beer is for folks who like to pee a lot. Having said that, if you leave beer in my fridge - I'm drinking it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    henapple said:

I've never had a PBR but I've heard it's good.

That's like Clinton not inhaling...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I dont like those beer that say NA those ones I dont mind dumping