Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket How long should I wait till I fire It up

Options
Hey Everybody. Just replaced my Gasket 10min ago for the first time. Not too hard but I have company coming over tomo and I wanna do so ribs! if I fire the egg up at 10 am that would be 15hours it does say 24hours on the packet but has anybody done this before.........Cheers !!!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd do it...be sure to have a large beer in hand. If it catches on fire you'll have a beer to drink. :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Did the kit with the new gasket provide any guidance?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Meathead847
    Options
    Yes It did it said 24hours but Im thinking that a bit too long but I was just wondering if anybody else out there had do this in less time
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I'd do the large beer as suggested. :D
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What did you use for an adhesive? Ultracopper? If so, the manufacturer says 24 hrs. Fairly typical of silicone sealants as I recall. I would wait 24 hours. Definitely more than 15!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm new to this board, but I think these guys are setting you up to steal the rest of your large beers.
    NOLA
  • calracefan
    Options
    What temperature is your egg,  most times are based on the adhesive curing at 70 degrees F. If you are colder than that the curing will take longer.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Meathead847
    Options
    Its the BGE Gasket, There is a sticky back to it basically pull off the strip and apply to the egg. Its Does say 24 hrs to cure. Wish I had looked at that yesterday.

• EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    Next time you change that gasket, put on a Rutland. You won't have to worry about changing it again. :)
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    This is the perfect oppurtunity to go buy a 2nd Egg a be able to completely justify doing it! You don't wanna ruin that new gasket ... right? :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    I just installed rutland with ultra copper permatex. Was kind of a PIA but seems worth it. I waited 24 hours in 50-60 degree weather then did a 3 hr. cook. Seems to be holding up and got a great seal. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I just installed rutland with ultra copper permatex. Was kind of a PIA but seems worth it. I waited 24 hours in 50-60 degree weather then did a 3 hr. cook. Seems to be holding up and got a great seal. 
    I don't know you - do I? Your type of comment always makes me laugh though. Yes it is a PIA to some people to take MAYBE a full hour from start to finish to apply a Rutland PROPERLY that will last for years! The peel and stick people just keep buying and replacing them - time and time again. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.