Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Ancho chili powder

Im planning on making a coffee rub that I seen on this site but can NOT find ancho chili powder. Is there a substitute?
Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,480
    i find it extremely mild, i eat the dried ones like raisins. does your supermarket have a section with just bags of dried peppers, you could maybe food process them or grind them and if no anchos there maybe pasilla peppers done the same way. you could mail order it as well, i believe penzeys carries it
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 1,131
    I found ancho chili powder at a local Mexican market.  They also had the dried whole peppers.  The powder was in a cellophane bag with a yellow label across the top.  1 1/4 oz. package.  Next time I am at a larger market I will try to find a bigger package.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • HicHic Posts: 350

I got it @ Penzey's. Cool little store. There's one just north of Atlanta or you can order from their site.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• bo31210bo31210 Posts: 642
    If you have a Fresh Market near you check there. That is where I get it
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Timbo66Timbo66 Posts: 109
     bo31210 thanks for the info the Macon store has it. Heading up there this evening.
  • That seems odd that you can't find in your area of GA. I can even get it up here in Toronto.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I found them at a local asian market ( in the Mexican isle )  They are dried out in a bag and I grind them myself .
    I have made the coffee rub and would say that Ancho is important to the rub
    Toronto
  • How about just going to your regular grocery store and looking in the spice section?

This is what I buy up here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    do you have any ideas where to get them ?
    Toronto
  • Texan , I am looking for juniper berries and I live in Toronto .
    Sorry, I've never purchased/looked for those. Maybe another GTA'er will wander by here and be able to help you.
    Toronto
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 1,131
    Brewing up a little bathtub gin? LOL
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    haha , I am marinating Duck legs 
    Toronto
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 5,389
    edited January 2014
    in Toronto area...
    I bought one identical to this at the new Ambrosia in Woodbridge two days ago, $5.99 for 3-oz:

@pantsypants, Little Steven is your best bet for sourcing juniper berries.  I've never looked for it myself, yet.
    canuckland
    Texan , I am looking for juniper berries and I live in Toronto .
    any of your neighbors have juniper plants in their lanscaping, i noticed my nieghbors plants are loaded this year, im going to pick a bunch to freeze
    Will ancho chili pepper work rather than the powder?
  • @ Timbo66  check out sfherb.com they have just about every spice you can imagine, very fresh and cheap.  1# ancho chili powder is $4.65 I beleive.

@ i will thanks.Timbo66  check out sfherb.com they have just about every spice you can imagine, very fresh and cheap.  1# ancho chili powder is $4.65 I beleive.

• minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,717
    haha , I am marinating Duck legs 
    Something about that just sounds dirty...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 10,014
    pantsypants, if you have a Wegman's in Toronto (which I doubt), they sell juniper berries. In plastic bags on an end cap in the produce section.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

Woody Allen

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

thanks but no Wegmans

Toronto
    thanks but no Wegmans

in a pinch you can sometimes pick enough out of a package of pickling spice, juniper is strong and most recipes dont call for many
  • Timbo66 said:
    Will ancho chili pepper work rather than the powder?
    If you're asking about the product that I posted a picture of then, yes, I believe it is the same thing.

Oh well. That's what I figured. Penzey's or The Spice House will have them. I know The Spice House ships to the GWN.

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

Woody Allen

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• @pantsypants - I am at Longo's now and they have juniper berries in the spice section.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
    thanks Texan/North  I will go there !!

Toronto
  • I've got a huge bag of juniper berries. Picked up from http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32_135_236&products_id=887
    1 pound will go a long way, fer sure.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • You have an Egg, smoke your own!  Smoked Poblanos = Anchos.  You can find poblanos anywhere.  Unripened green will be more mild than the fully ripened red.  After you smoke them, deseed and grind as needed.  I find it more fun to make all my rubs this way.  Sense of accomplishment, lol.