Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table Lighting

I am building an egg table now and am thinking about bringing electricity to it and adding a light to it to shine on the XL cooking grid.  Only problem is that the egg table will be exposed to rain and snow so I will need the lighting to be weatherproof.  Any ideas what could work in this situation?  Thanks for any advice you may have.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Lowe's and home depot sell a variety of outdoor light fixtures with weather proof housings. You could add a couple of 2x uprights off the back of your table and mount the lights to those.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Weber has LED lights that attach to the BGE lid handle.  Works great, when you close the lid it automatically goes off and when you lift the handle it goes on and shines directly on to the grate. Got if from my BGE dealer.   
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Weber has LED lights that attach to the BGE lid handle.  Works great, when you close the lid it automatically goes off and when you lift the handle it goes on and shines directly on to the grate. Got if from my BGE dealer.   

imageimage

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Cazzy-

How low do those Weber lights hang down from the handle?  Thanks in advance!
  • I'd be afraid of attracting bugs if the area is too lit up. I'd wear a nice headband with LED on it.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • cazzy
    @PurpleUrple I'm not able to go measure right now...but My best guess would be about 5".

@RickyBobby  I have never had that problem at all.  The Weber Grill Light uses a LED too.
  • I really like those lights. Would you happen to know the actual part number?
  • +1 on the headband
    Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners
  • +2 on the headband  Had one already and works great.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • I have a grill light from brookstone and yes it's bulky it runs on D cell batteries, It's LED and it puts out a lot of lumens it fits on the handle of my Large and has a timer button so it will turn it self off after 5 min. Comes on and off easily too. It's not so pretty so I don't leave it attached all the time but it is weather resistant. Keep in mind I live in Florida so I am not dealing with snow.
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited January 2014
    cazzy said:
    Weber has LED lights that attach to the BGE lid handle.  Works great, when you close the lid it automatically goes off and when you lift the handle it goes on and shines directly on to the grate. Got if from my BGE dealer.   

imageimage

For those to work, I think you need the old style handle. Have the light and the handle bolts are to wide to mount.
    Brampton, Ontario

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

You folks are awesome !!!

I am putting my plans together for my table and was not aware of the handle lights. I will have to buy and incorporate the dimensions into my table build.

I like the tilt switch on/off....great idea.

Thanks all,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    @SteveListello  Do you happen to know the model number on the Weber light you installed?  On what size BGE did you install it?

Thanks in advance.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• lombard
    lombard Posts: 23
    Looks like the Weber 6503 Q Handle Light.  $25 at Amazon. 
  • I may have to look in to this. I usually drag my living room lamp out with on of those 50 foot orange extension cords...
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I was watching a BOSTON BUTT BGE youtube video and someone had a Coleman lantern on a pole attached to a propane tank.  In addition there was a tool he used to light his lump (metal pipe on a hose).  The pipe doubled as a ash tool.  Not too attractive but very functional.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    I bought a outdoor flood light fixture kit from Home Depot for like 12 bucks and and then went to the extension cord section and found grounded extension cord sets without the female end. (They were replacement cords for frayed line or cut line for power tools) I then wired it up within a few minutes. I had an arbor type awning and placed the light behind my head which provided the perfect amount of light and even lit the yard up enough to play corn hole after dark.
  • marcfed
    not the picture I was looking for but can not seem to find another, but you can see the amount of light the flood light provided with some low watt bulbs
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My 2 cents..get as much light as you can.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    @marcfed...any pics of your whole set up?
  • marcfed
    @henapple...No I recently moved to TN and had to leave the awning I built at my old house and can not seem to find a picture. My new set up has an umbrella that I can extend over the grill that I can hang a light from.
  • henapple
    @marcfed...where in Tennessee?
  • lombard

lombard said:
    I was wrong about them being the Weber 6503.  Just got the one I ordered from Amazon, and it didn't even span half way across the handle mounting bolts on my large.  The 7580 looks larger, but I'm going to do some research before jumping on one.  I do have one of the similar Weber handle lights on my Weber gasser and absolutely love it.  May have to try to find a way to make one of these lights fit on my BGE...
  • lombard
    Wish there were an edit feature on this forum.  Anyway, a little elementary research turns up the fact that the 6503 did fit the old style handles, but the new handles are a no-go with it.
  • cazzy
    lombard said:

lombard said:
    I was wrong about them being the Weber 6503.  Just got the one I ordered from Amazon, and it didn't even span half way across the handle mounting bolts on my large.  The 7580 looks larger, but I'm going to do some research before jumping on one.  I do have one of the similar Weber handle lights on my Weber gasser and absolutely love it.  May have to try to find a way to make one of these lights fit on my BGE...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158329/ot-solved-weber-grill-light-7516-mod-for-lbge-wide-handle#latest
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    lombard said:
    Wish there were an edit feature on this forum.  Anyway, a little elementary research turns up the fact that the 6503 did fit the old style handles, but the new handles are a no-go with it.

You can use the little gear in the upper right of your post within an hour of posting to edit.
    NOLA
  • dldawes1

I found this light at Lowes....in the WeberWho? section....

Have not been outside to try it on the XL handle yet...maybe this evening when I get home, then I'll report back.

Thanks,

Donnie

• NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    edited January 2014

I got my lights at Menards.  They are Patriot Lighting Pylos lights.  (http://www.menards.com/main/lighting-fans/outdoor-lights/landscape/pylos-1-light-31-silver-finish-with-black-accents-task-lamp/p-2049835-c-7909.htm)

I'll give these lights a mixed review.  I bought them in November of 2012.  They're rated as outdoor lighting, and they've been installed on the table outside since then.  One of them developed a leak in the sealed switch, and I was unable to turn it on several times because the switch was frozen.  It even got to the point that it would blow my GFCI every time I tried to turn that lamp on.  (I'm using LED bulbs in both of the lamps for electrical efficiency.  Very little power is drawn by these lights.)  There is also a rubber gasket that I think is just for cosmetic purposes at the back of the lamp itself that has weathered and brok on both of the lights in only 3 to 4 months of outdoor use.

I exchanged the light that was shorting my GFCI this past Spring.  Menards gave me no issues at all even though I didn't have the receipt.  I wasn't very pleased with the quality of the lights at that point, but they're working fine now.  Design-wise, they are perfect for this use.

My only complaint now, is that the flexible necks aren't long enough to reach around and light the thermometer, so I still need a flashlight to read the dome temp if I'm not using my Cyber-Q.

• dldawes1
    Promised I would follow up with the light I bought at Lowes in the Weberwho section......

It does clamp on to the xlBGE handle and looks like a good LED light to cook by to me.

I am cooking ribs tomorrow night so I will try it out on a live test run then.

For $8.99, if it works, I consider myself a good bargain finder. 

Thanks,

Donnie