Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Amazon Prime - I need convinced

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 on Prime. The money I save by canceling my Netflix account pays for it, we use it to stream movies and tv all the time, and the free 2 day shipping saved me a bunch before Christmas.
  • I wasn't on board with Prime until we had our first child. With two working parents, nothing beats ordering any baby supply imaginable, and having it in two days for free. Beats the heck out of trekking to the nearest Target a couple of times a week, only to discover they are out of stock.

LBGE Atlanta, GA  Ramblin' Wreck

• I have it...likely paid for itself with Xmas shopping just for shipping...the streaming service is a nice add...you can also give the free 2 day shipping to others...up to 4 I think for no added cost...so my sister made out like a bandit
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Funny that this thread should be posted since I was about to post a thread, but in a somewhat different vein.

I have been a Prime addict for a few years. Love the 2 day shipping for everything from garden supplies, pool supplies (chemicals, toys, parts for my Polaris robot, etc), deodorant, car parts, you name it. I had 100+ orders last year which is god only knows how many individual items. However, I have noticed lately that 2 day shipping doesn't mean 2 days for them. It has been on the order of 3-4 days quite often, and I'm not talking about the holiday crush. I ordered a camera accessory today, which they were going to charge another $4 to ship in 1 day (i.e. overnight, but the delivery date was 5 days later. Accounting for 2 days of the weekend, that's still 3 days. I called them and spent an hour on the phone with them the other day to discuss this issue, since similar delays have occurred with other items recently, and they had no clue how to even approach this situation. The guy just said sorry numerous times. 

Having said that, the convenience is hard to beat, so I'm not about to cancel my membership. I go to the mall about twice a year. The only other places I shop regularly are Costco and Home Depot. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Have it, love it, wish I woulda did it sooner. Free shipping or overnight for a few bucks plus the streaming movies makes it a hell of a deal.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I like not signing up, spend less. The year we had it we spent tons...$1k perhaps. Following year I'd say under $300.
    Amazon does not deserve all my business, local drug store and others got a bit of that spend.
    Seattle, WA
  • I've had it several years, besides free two day shipping and videos, no sales tax either.  Some states are charged sales tax some aren't, sales tax savings alone can pay for the fee.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited January 2014
    Egghead_Daron
    The way I convinced myself and the wife was this way.  I have Netflix which is more expensive than Prime.  Therefore I can drop Netflix (and save money in the process) without losing anything any gaining a lot more with Prime.  Even if you don't buy a ton of stuff on Amazon to save on the shipping aspect it's essentially like they are paying you to have their service if you had Netflix 
    :D
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2014
    Egghead_Daron
    The way I convinced myself and the wife was this way.  I have Netflix which is more expensive than Prime.  Therefore I can drop Netflix (and save money in the process) without losing anything any gaining a lot more with Prime.  Even if you don't buy a ton of stuff on Amazon to save on the shipping aspect it's essentially like they are paying you to have their service if you had Netflix 
    :D
    +1 on this.  If you will use the streaming service it is a no brainer.   If you are only getting it for the shipping it just depends on how frequently you order and the size of your order.  Most items that are prime are offered with a "free super saver shipping", but that requires a minimum of $25 order.   If you are not in a hurry for the items you order, and don't mind meeting the $25, then it may not be worth it.  Before I had prime I always managed to get free shipping.  I would just order some essentials like light bulbs and batteries to meet the minimum.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Have it, love it, will renew when it runs out.

We id most of our Christmas shopping with it this year. Beats going to the mall.

I am a very avid reader. Love that you get one book free a month on Kindle, plus all the other free books you can find.

I stream a lot of movies. At home and at work. Don't tell my boss. I usually finish off the last 30 minutes to an hour watching free movies on it. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wait a minute...I get one free kindle book each month??

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    edited January 2014
    Heh…

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Considering I didn't have to go through the mayhem by going to a single store for Christmas shopping this year.....YES DO IT!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Meant to mention, I don't watch much TV so I don't use the video feature much at all, but just for shipping its worth it to me.  In utard a lot of ethnic grocery products just aren't available, like Red Boat fish sauce, bomba rice, sausage casings, pink salt, etc.  
    I'm also still a luddite who buys CDs, and the local selection is getting worse and worse.  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Botch, I don't consider you a luddite. I like owning what I pay for, not renting it. I HATE DOWNLOADED MUSIC, the quality is terrible when compared to CDS and more so to vinyl . Then again, I do use Spotify at work and on my phone when I am out and about. CD's for "serious" listening on my sound system. 

@caliking, I have noticed those issues too with the "handling" part taking a long time, typically with "Amazon Marketplace" items rather than items fulfilled directly by Amazon. I always try to look for that to ensure the fastest shipping.
  • cazzy said:
    Definitely worth it. Free 2 day shipping and Amazon Instant Video. I split it with a friend and we buy all our stuff of the same account.

Amazon allows you to share you Prime memebership:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444180

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    For me and my family, we love it.  We order a lot of stuff from Amazon, but we read as well.  My wife more than me though.  You can rent books for free and they also have movies/show (like Netfilx).  Some say actually better than Netflix. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • I have Prime and love it!
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    It's a great service and really worth it if you buy frequently from amazon. Unfortunately Jeff Bezos chimed in during the Chik-Fil-A big news situation and I decided to never use their service again. I'm glad to say I have stuck to my guns. YMMV and your opinion may differ.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Eggcelsior
    Hibby said:
    It's a great service and really worth it if you buy frequently from amazon. Unfortunately Jeff Bezos chimed in during the Chik-Fil-A big news situation and I decided to never use their service again. I'm glad to say I have stuck to my guns. YMMV and your opinion may differ.
    I didn't know removing HFCS and artificial dyes was so controversial.

• rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    WELL worth it.  I've ordered 100 pound weights, lump charcoal, Eggcessories and much much more with FREE shipping. 
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    You can also sign up 4 other people (friends & family) on your prime and they will get the free shipping as well.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

While we are on the subject of Amazon here is a site I use to check price history. Just copy the ASIN number usually found under product details and paste it into the find products box here:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

Here is an example of an ASIN number:  B009P166SU

I've been using this long before Prime was around. It will give you a good feel for where the current price stands and the history of changes in the price for any given product.

• Eggcelsior
    @browninggold, was that directed at me? I was just making a joke about the comment I quoted. 
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    For me it's a great bargain.  I live in a small town, with very little shopping.  To buy something like a pair of shoes, replacement glass beaker for my french press (damn those break easy), etc, I have to drive 40 miles one way to the closest "city".  

I also work strange hours, 10:30a to 9p Mon-Thurs.  So if I need something from the city during the week, I have to wait till Friday.  Then spend 2 hours of my time driving there and back, and about $14 in gas.  Or, I can order it in 5 minutes on Monday, get it on Wed, two days before without wasting hours of my time.  Just in gas it only takes a handful of trips to town to make Prime the cheaper option.

I also watch Prime Instant video at least weekly (my daughter watches every other day probably) and borrow the one free kindle book they allow per month.  So for me, I use everything they offer.  If I lived in a bigger town, it might not be as obvious a choice for me.
  • @browninggold, was that directed at me? I was just making a joke about the comment I quoted. 
    Yeah..have you watched those I believe we've had a thread about HFCS in the past and if I remember correctly most have seen the DVDs
  • Eggcelsior
    @browninggold, was that directed at me? I was just making a joke about the comment I quoted. 
    Yeah..have you watched those I believe we've had a thread about HFCS in the past and if I remember correctly most have seen the DVDs
    I know all about HFCS. I avoid it like the Dickens. Like I said, I was just referencing the story about Chik fil a because it was obviously not the one that the person was talking about, based on what he said.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    The first step in the 12 step process is admitting it. Hi, I'm Gary, I'm a prime-aholic. I live 2 miles from their new facility that services San Antonio and Austin. Prime is "you better believe it's" worth it. And if they start the drone delivery they showed on 60 minutes, I'll be getting stuff every day. Very worth it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Thank you all for the feedback. I fully expected thoughts from both sides and you all have given me some great info.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN