Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grippo's? Anyone ever heard of this stuff?

Options
I'm currently on a cush "deployment" to the middle east.  The weather is nice, the chow hall food is free and plentiful and my only hardship is the distance from my Egg...and family, of course.  Anyway, one of the guys on the crew is from Cincinnati, and he opened a care package from his folks.  They sent him a huge box of Grippo's famous BBQ potato chips.  I'd never heard of them, but they were awesome.  On the side of the box, it said you could order their seasoning.  I immediately thought about dusting chicken wings with it.

Just curious, anyone ever have this, or try it as a rub?  This stuff is dynamite!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    We've got the chips in KY.  They're the best BBQ chips I've ever had.  Never heard of the seasoning though.  I'll keep my eyes out.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • trup0241
    Options
    My wife is originally from Cincinnati and introduced me to Grippo's.  They are great.  Last time I was in town, I picked up a bottle of the seasoning.  In my opinion it is pretty good, the seasoning has more of a pepper kick than the chips do, but it is just as good.

Thanks for your service!
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Received it as a gift but haven't tried it yet. Thanks as well for your dedication and service!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

+1 on Grippo's !!  My favorite BBQ chips too. I live 45 minutes from Cinci. Halfway between Cinci and Louisville.

I have used the seasoning on various grilled foods. I also appreciate the reminder...I will incorporate it into my BGE arsenol !!!

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I grew up in Dayton, Ohio and Cincinnati is a 30 minute drive away. The chip battle for us was Mike-Sells (dayton chip) VRS Grippos (cincy chip) but I think both are great. 

I will keep an eye out for the seasoning and thank you for your service!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Cincinnati here.  They sell the rub at Jungle Jim's in the chip section.

A favorite recipe involves crushing some bbq chips up into a powder and using them on chicken wings.  I recommend trying it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Thanks for your service!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    As others have said, the spice is good. They also make a sauce, which I haven't tried. I believe both are available on Amazon, but shipping may be expensive. Some Kroger locations carry them. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Options
    They make pork rinds also. My favorite Grippo's product.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    US Ohio Valley folks should chip in and mail this guy a jar of the stuff. 
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.