Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. BBQ's Double Smoked Ham & Smoked Baked Beans

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I made these recipes about 3 weeks ago and the full titles are Double Smoked Ham with Apricot Glaze and Sandi's Sweet 'n' Spicy Baked Beans. It is from Dr. BBQ's Slow Fire cookbook. The air temperature when I fired up the Eggs was 3 degrees F and windy, but once I got the Eggs going it could have been 90 degrees and calm for all it mattered. The air temp just didn't matter. This cook did result in me picking up a Looftlighter a few days ago because none of my butane lighters would light. When I switched to wooden stick matches they kept blowing out and the paraffin starters kept blowing out too. Once I got the 2 Eggs going, I stabilized them at 235 degrees for 30 minutes before adding any food. 

The recipe for the BBQ sauce for the beans used a "few" simple ingredients. Ketchup, garlic, butter, onions, cider vinegar, yellow mustard, pepper, salt, honey, Worcestershire & Tabasco sauce, Liquid Smoke, apple juice & jalapeño pepper.

The first step is to melt some butter

The onions & jalapeño peppers are sautéed

Everything else is added & the sauce is brought to a boil & then simmered for 20 minutes. I made this sauce the night before.

The next day dawned cold  (3 degrees) and windy (20 mph gusts). Once I got the Eggs lit, the weather didn't phase them a bit.

Next morning: Some bacon is fried up & removed with the bacon fat retained for...

...the onions, which were sautéed in the bacon fat.

The ingredients for the beans are assembled: 2 Cans of beans, the BBQ sauce I made the night before, diced bacon, brown sugar & sautéed onions.

The bean's ingredients are mixed together in a large bowl & transferred to a foil pan.

Time to work on the ham. It gets scored on the surface in a diamond pattern.

The ham is on one Egg which is stabilized at 235 degrees & I have just added some hickory chunks.

The beans are in the foil pan & they are on the other Egg also at 235 degrees and also using Hickory wood chunks.

The ham (and beans) are on the smoker for a total of 3 hours each. I put the beans on slightly later to allow for the short rest the ham is given when it is done. The ham goes for 2 hours and then gets glazed twice at 30 minute intervals. Once the ham was on the smoker (Egg) there was plenty of time to make the glaze. It used: Apricot halves (drained), molasses, soy sauce & ketchup.

The glaze ingredients got placed in the bowl of a for processor & pureed. Then I transferred them to a basting bowl with a silicone brush.

After 2 hours on the smoker (Egg) the ham receives its first or two applications of the Apricot glaze.

Three hours & two applications of glaze later there is only one thing left to do-carve it and eat it!

The ham after a brief rest is ready to carve.

The beans have smoked for 3 hours and they are ready to come off too.

Time to eat. Besides the beans, the ham was served with some doctored squash (cinnamon, nutmeg & brown sugar added) & some whole wheat rolls.

This was a relatively simple meal. Strangely enough the "most complex" part was the recipe for the homemade BBQ sauce for us in the beans. But it was worth it. Being from the Boston area I have tried many types of beans and this recipe made some of the best beans I've had. My guests were raving about them too. This day I saw proof that exposure to smoke is hazardous to your tastebuds. It was so windy, it was next to impossible to stand up wind of the Hickory smoke coming out of not one, but two Eggs. When I served the ham everyone was raving about the sweet Apricot glaze and how much it added to the overall taste of the recipe. I couldn't really tell it was there. Several days later, when I had some leftover ham, I could see what everyone had been talking about. The sweet flavor of the apricot glaze was right out front and added a great flavor to the ham. So if I ever doubted that being out in the smoke temporarily dulled my taste buds, it was proven this day.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments