Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Temp Controller?

I want to spend about $150 for a simple temp controller. I cannot decide between the iq120 or the partyq. I have looked into the auber, but I don't like the seeming complexity. They both have positives and negatives. I don't like the battery only with the partyq, or the look of the iq120. I think all things considered they are pretty close for quality. I guess I am looking to be swayed to one or the other.  Has anyone had any bad experiences with either of them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    I know that you said that the auber was complex but it really isn't difficult to use. I've used one on my WSM and it worked great. Reading the instructions it can seem very complicated but it really is in set it and forget mode right out of the box. I just plug it in set the temp and it worked great for me. Should be equal to the task with an egg since the ceramics hold heat much better then my weber smoker does.
  • I was kicking around getting those exact 2 controllers for my XL ... I chose the IQ120. Just received it yesterday from @stlcharcoal. Tomorrow will be my 1st run with it making a batch of Jerky. The IQ120 has lots more features and just seemed bulletproof. I think I made a great choice! Performance & reliability of a product should be considered long before "the looks" of the product. Just my opinion.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2014

Performance & reliability of a product should be considered long before "the looks" of the product. Just my opinion.

Sounds like the marriage proposal I made my wife.....

• Performance & reliability of a product should be considered long before "the looks" of the product. Just my opinion.
    Sounds like the marriage proposal I made my wife.....

=))
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Do either of these allow you to monitor a cook on your smart phone?
  • stlcharcoal
    Keefer said:

Do either of these allow you to monitor a cook on your smart phone?

No, they're just set it and forget it. If the thing works like it should, theres no need to monitor it, right?
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    PartyQ is great, especially if you own a portable EGG ( a small or medium). I am using it some times on the XL and for all night low 'n slow cooking is fantastic.
  • How long will it go on a good set of batteries?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Battery life is better than expected. I love the party q. So ez to use. In conjunction with maverick I sleep like a baby w/o worries. I highly recommend it. If your concerned about batteries just get rechargeables dedicated to the controller. Although I will admit I have been doing more turbo cooks lately so I haven't used it a whole lot
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Camben
    Camben Posts: 24
    I have the party q as well. It works flawlessly and is super easy to use. Get yourself some rechargeable batteries and your good to go
    LG BGE, plate setter, highQ grate, Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier rack, Smokeware SS vent cap, BBQ GURU Party Q, super fast Ravens purple Thermapen and Maverick ET-732
  • I have a party q and would highly recommend it. It's perfect in its simplicity.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I think the Makers of the PartyQ have been in business longer, if that means anything. I was leaning toward that one myself. I like the idea of batteries. Less complicated.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I agree the Auber looks complex if you read the instructions at all. But you can just plug it in and use it without reading. All that reading is if you want to customize the internal parameters in the controller, which is a nice option for some. The Auber works fine, though and spare parts are available and cheap. I've run it down low to make jerky, 175F, and use it up to about 275-300F, don't need it above that. You can get a bigger blower if you want to run real hot. The probes and the power supplies are available on Amazon, etc. I bought a few spare probes for ~ 5 bucks each. And a few power supplies for 18 cents each. I don't think it's water proof, I use mine under roof. The only real problem is when you open the dome the probe temp falls off and the fan motor goes on continuously until probe temp comes back up. This stokes the coals and will overshoot the desired temp. So I have to disconnect the probe for a few minutes until dome settles back out and then let it trim things back in.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Lately I'm looking at a temp controller due to all the talk. Might wait till the eggfest here where I think they have the digiq.
    Seattle, WA
  • Wait and get a digiQ.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    The problem with the Auber is the lack of open dome detection. I would highly recommend a unit that has that feature.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    Griffin said:
    The problem with the Auber is the lack of open dome detection. I would highly recommend a unit that has that feature.

Pitmaster IQ110 and 120 have that on both.

If you go on The Naked Whiz's site, he has a chart that has all the features listed on a comparison.

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I love my IQ120.  Did not test any of the others, chose based on reading here on the forum and the various websites.  Does exactly what I want it to do...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120