Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made rubs

Options
Any one care to share some recipes for some rubs??? I always see dizzy pig rub being used but I can't get them around here and shipping is unbelievable!! Thanks! & happy egging!!!

Comments

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I started to make my own rubs. A while back someone posted a link for a free app. It was the weber grill app. There are a bunch of rub recipes in it. I have made a few and all have liked them. Of course I just don't follow it completely and do tend to add different things to it. I am almost out of what I had made so it will be time to experiment again soon.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2014
    Options

Here's my Espresso Cocoa recipe, I use this alot on beef, pork and poultry.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    What ever you make you need to make sure you have fresh spices. I like to get my main ingredients from Indian stores since they have good selection and cheap prices.
  • aussieprime
    Options
    Google top ten rub recipes, it's on the About food website. That's where I got the Memphis rub and best odds brisket rub, use those two quite a lot , have to as here in Oz there's not much choice to buy.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I get some recipes from here-http://www.barbecuen.com/
    I usually alter them to taste also.
    Watch the salt in some recipes. Sometimes I cut the amount in half.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Check your messages
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I've used this several times and it's pretty good

From Peace, Love, and BBQ

Mike Mills Magic Dust

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup paprika
    • 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 2 tablespoons mustard powder
    • 1/4 cup chili powder
    • 1/4 cup ground cumin
    • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
    • 2 tablespoons cayenne

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container. You'll want to keep some in a shaker next to the grill or stove. Keeps indefinitely but won't last long.

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nicklentini1
    nicklentini1 Posts: 48
    edited January 2014
    Options

My Personal favorite Bobby Flay rib rub:

1 tablespoon cumin

1 tablespoon paprika 

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

1 tablespoon granulated onion 

1 tablespoon chili powder 

1 tablespoon brown sugar 

2 tablespoons kosher salt 

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 

1 teaspoon black pepper 

1 teaspoon white pepper

But I half the salt.

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A couple of years ago I collected about 100 rub recipes from around the web that were described as all purpose, or mainly for pork, or mainly for beef.

I can't find the summary I wrote then, but here are some factoids.

Ingredients most often used, and average percent by volume for that ingredient.

Black pepper 11%
    Sugar 27%
    Paprika 22%
    Salt  (tie w. paprika) 14%
    Garlic Powder 9%
    Onion Powder 8%
    Chili powder 13%
    Cayenne 4%
    Cumin 6%
    Mustard powder 8%
    Thyme 5%

The balance between sugar and salt for pork recipes often leans heavily towards sugar, whereas beef recipes go the other way, w. a few having little or no sugar.

I found 54 different ingredients used, with some being mixes such as "seasoned salt," of "curry powder." Chilli powder was had to categorize, because some times it appeared to refer to blends that contain garlic and oregano w. ground chillis, and other times just a reference to some sort of ground chili.

The average recipe has 8 ingredients. A few have as few as 3, and one had 15.

The oldest recipes I found would just be brown sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne.

I came up w. a recipes that used an average proportion of 10 ingredients. The result was, well, average. Maybe even mediocre. One thing I found was that even though the recipe has lots of paprika and black pepper, the flavor of those faded away during longer cooks, even though I used freshly opened tins of good Hungarian paprika, and ground the pepper fresh.

Along the way, I've read that many prize winning chili recipes use multiple waves of spicing. I've started messing w. that method for rub application. I use 1 batch before cooking, and another later that contains flavors that don't last as long, such as black pepper.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Coffee Rub         (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from  MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup  Instant Expresso Ground coffee  and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. 
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    Thanks to everyone!!!!!! I'm gonna b busy for a while trying and making these great recipes!!! Can't wait !!! :D once again thank you!!!!
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Sorry about the "off topic" tag. Totally hit the wrong part of my iPhone screen. I was trying to bookmark it since there were so many great suggestions!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/612101/5104145.aspx#5104145
    is the method I used for making ribs before I had a BGE.  I still make my own rub based on their recipe...but I've made a bunch of adjustments (omissions, additions, quantity changes) over the years.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You will spend a small fortune on spices.  I have run out of room in my cupboard.

I have a couple of go to commercial rubs that aren't expensive when bought in bulk:

Plowboys Yardbird - my favorite for chicken.
    Simply Marvelous Cherry - for ribs.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.