Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Cover

Options
Hey guys.  So I'm interested in getting a dome cover for my medium BGE just for the visual of seeing my table all the time.  I guess they only make them for Large and XL.  So my question is this: does anyone know if a large dome cover will work for a medium?  Not sure the attachment mechanism (ie. elastic, pull cord, etc.)  If it was a pull cord I would assume I could cinch it pretty tight and just have it be a bit baggier.  Looking for feedback.  I love to admire my woodwork and would hate to cover it with a huge green cover.

Comments

• cjham9985
    Options

No response in a while.  Hopefully some people got a dome cover over Christmas and can clue me in if this will work for a medium.

• Loosemoose
    Options
    Wish I could help you but I have no idea.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I've never heard of a dome cover. My thought is that the wood is what needs covered, not the egg. Mine has been uncovered for 4 years and looks fine. My eggmates are only a couple of years old and they are weathered. You won't enjoy looking at your handiwork after the weather has it's way with the wood.

That said, you might have a look at the cover store. They have a very long list of covers, maybe something like their ottoman cover would work. Or even their BGE-type cover that you don't pull all the way down. They are very thin and flexible so that might work. Here's mine - which I never use :)

I still think you're covering the wrong thing though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Chris,
    I'm with Michael here that I too do not understand your question. Is your medium in a nest? How important that you stick with a BGE cover? I have a friend who uses a Weber cover for her medium. In her case it protects it more from possible theft - at least in her mind that some people who drive through her area wouldn't stop to steal a Weber, but would snatch her egg!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    If that pic is what you're looking for, I'd just go to your local HD and get a $6 webber cover. They are heavy plastic, black, unlogoed, and easy and cheap to replace when the wind storm comes through. I speak from experience.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• PhillyBoy23
    Options
    I got a smoker cover at Lowe's for less than 10 bucks for my LG egg.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I use a 68" Charbroil cover for my
    table with two eggs.

Ever notice how some comments/replies here can easily be taken out of context?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    The large dome will be a little big but it goes down over the handle and hinge and it does have elastic around the bottom.I think it will work.I'll send a pic of a extra large some cover so u can see.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Maybe your dealer would take one out and try it on a medium for you? I would not hesitate to ask.
  • VC_Outlaw
    Options
    I have the large cover.  As stated it has elastic around the bottom.  I went through 3 cheap covers before this one.  Its not cheap but I am very happy with the quality.  However if it does not fit you will probably never be happy with it. I measured the bottom opening to be ~18" when it is not stretched out.  

@tcampbell nice set-up you have there!
    Valley City, Ohio
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I've never heard of a dome cover. My thought is that the wood is what needs covered, not the egg. Mine has been uncovered for 4 years and looks fine. My eggmates are only a couple of years old and they are weathered. You won't enjoy looking at your handiwork after the weather has it's way with the wood.

That said, you might have a look at the cover store. They have a very long list of covers, maybe something like their ottoman cover would work. Or even their BGE-type cover that you don't pull all the way down. They are very thin and flexible so that might work. Here's mine - which I never use :)

I still think you're covering the wrong thing though.
    Nice looking burka there, Michael!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tcampbell
    Options
    Outlaw now that's nice.what kind of gas grill do u have.is that a lg r xl egg.
  • VC_Outlaw
    Options
    It's a large.  The grill is a Char Broil, I bought it because it came with a TEC infrared burner.  Unfortunately the TEC burner never worked well, eventually I replaced it with a standard gas burner.
    Like most people here I use the egg more and more and the gas grill less and less.
    Valley City, Ohio
  • tcampbell
    Options
    Yea I know what you mean. I cook on eggs most of the time but I still enjoy my Weber gas.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I use a large four wheeler cover over my large egg table as there aren't many grill covers deep enough for my table. amazon
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!