Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dome Cover

Hey guys.  So I'm interested in getting a dome cover for my medium BGE just for the visual of seeing my table all the time.  I guess they only make them for Large and XL.  So my question is this: does anyone know if a large dome cover will work for a medium?  Not sure the attachment mechanism (ie. elastic, pull cord, etc.)  If it was a pull cord I would assume I could cinch it pretty tight and just have it be a bit baggier.  Looking for feedback.  I love to admire my woodwork and would hate to cover it with a huge green cover.
·

Comments

• No response in a while.  Hopefully some people got a dome cover over Christmas and can clue me in if this will work for a medium.

·
  • Wish I could help you but I have no idea.
    Nowhere Indiana
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,470
    edited January 2014
    I've never heard of a dome cover. My thought is that the wood is what needs covered, not the egg. Mine has been uncovered for 4 years and looks fine. My eggmates are only a couple of years old and they are weathered. You won't enjoy looking at your handiwork after the weather has it's way with the wood.

That said, you might have a look at the cover store. They have a very long list of covers, maybe something like their ottoman cover would work. Or even their BGE-type cover that you don't pull all the way down. They are very thin and flexible so that might work. Here's mine - which I never use :)

I still think you're covering the wrong thing though.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,834
    Chris,
    I'm with Michael here that I too do not understand your question. Is your medium in a nest? How important that you stick with a BGE cover? I have a friend who uses a Weber cover for her medium. In her case it protects it more from possible theft - at least in her mind that some people who drive through her area wouldn't stop to steal a Weber, but would snatch her egg!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,315
    If that pic is what you're looking for, I'd just go to your local HD and get a $6 webber cover. They are heavy plastic, black, unlogoed, and easy and cheap to replace when the wind storm comes through. I speak from experience.
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • I got a smoker cover at Lowe's for less than 10 bucks for my LG egg.
    ·
  • berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 773
    edited January 2014
    I use a 68" Charbroil cover for my
    table with two eggs.

Ever notice how some comments/replies here can easily be taken out of context?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • tcampbelltcampbell Posts: 638
    The large dome will be a little big but it goes down over the handle and hinge and it does have elastic around the bottom.I think it will work.I'll send a pic of a extra large some cover so u can see.
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,803
    Maybe your dealer would take one out and try it on a medium for you? I would not hesitate to ask.
    ·
  • I have the large cover.  As stated it has elastic around the bottom.  I went through 3 cheap covers before this one.  Its not cheap but I am very happy with the quality.  However if it does not fit you will probably never be happy with it. I measured the bottom opening to be ~18" when it is not stretched out.  

@tcampbell nice set-up you have there!
    Valley City, Ohio
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,834
    I've never heard of a dome cover. My thought is that the wood is what needs covered, not the egg. Mine has been uncovered for 4 years and looks fine. My eggmates are only a couple of years old and they are weathered. You won't enjoy looking at your handiwork after the weather has it's way with the wood.

That said, you might have a look at the cover store. They have a very long list of covers, maybe something like their ottoman cover would work. Or even their BGE-type cover that you don't pull all the way down. They are very thin and flexible so that might work. Here's mine - which I never use :)

I still think you're covering the wrong thing though.
    Nice looking burka there, Michael!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    Outlaw now that's nice.what kind of gas grill do u have.is that a lg r xl egg.
    ·
  • It's a large.  The grill is a Char Broil, I bought it because it came with a TEC infrared burner.  Unfortunately the TEC burner never worked well, eventually I replaced it with a standard gas burner.
    Like most people here I use the egg more and more and the gas grill less and less.
    Valley City, Ohio
    ·
    Yea I know what you mean. I cook on eggs most of the time but I still enjoy my Weber gas.
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,344
    edited January 2014
    I use a large four wheeler cover over my large egg table as there aren't many grill covers deep enough for my table. amazon
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·