Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice from PS Woo owners

Options
Fellow Eggers, I'm looking for advice on which Woo to purchase. I have a LBGE and I was looking to buy the Woo2 and a separate spider from CGS. Well the Woo2 is on back order for about 6-8 weeks. They do have the Woo3 in stock but I didn't want the spider to be attached (wanted to wok this year). For those that have the Woo3, could I benefit from getting the Woo3 or just hold out until the Woo2 is back in stock?
LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Get the Woo2 and the spider separate, it will be more versatile.  I have the Woo3 (I received it as a gift) and don't see any advantage to it.  I do use my spider with the legs down all the time for wok cooking and that can't be done with the Woo3. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I like the PS Woo3 but I don't Wok. Since the rim of the Woo3 sits very near the edge of the ceramic I'm not sure it would bother you. I had trouble discarding my PS totally since I paid for it so the PS Woo3 was a good solution for me. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    So can or can't u wok with woo 3? I own it....looks like a wok can sit on bottom no?
    Seattle, WA
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    As long as your wok fits down and in the Woo3 you can wok.  With that said, using the spider legs down raises the wok up in the egg a little and makes it easier to wok cook. 
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll be waiting until they get the woo2 back in stock.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have a Woo3 and use it with a 16" wok with D handles and it works fine for what I cook. You can't do any flipping of the pan but that is what the chuan & Laddle are for. The only thing I would do different is buy a smaller wok, maybe 12-14" so it is easier to get out when hot. Now I just use the welding gloves to tip and remove it.

Here is a pic how I use mine.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Get the Woo3...

I use the the spider portion to sear steaks etc.using a CI grid on it, and then drop the regular grid on top and move them up raised direct to finish. That said, I also have the spider separately for wok cooks
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Will a Woo 3 work with a CI grid on top? I see lots of picks with the SS grid but not with a CI on top.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • hapster
    Options
    Here are two pictures showing what I mean...

Searing down on the CI on the spider portion...

And then finishing up higher at the felt line on the regular grid on top

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2014
    Options

I have both and like the Woo2 and spider option better then the Woo3. I have thought about cutting the spider part off the Woo3. I have two large eggs and if I needed to use the Woo on both, the spider part might get in the way of really loading up the lump in the egg.

Now if this ever does happened to me I just use the adjustable rig. Don't ask.

Cutting the Woo3 might be an option.

To answer tkleager, no, the CI grate will not work. Just get the SS grids, I have every size for the large rig and woo. Again, don't ask why.

The oval grates Tom sell work nice for making your own raised grids if you do buy the Woo.

• hapster
    Options

I have both and like the Woo2 and spider option better then the Woo3. I have thought about cutting the spider part off the Woo3. I have two large eggs and if I needed to use the Woo on both, the spider part might get in the way of really loading up the lump in the egg.

To answer tkleager, no, the CI grate will not work. Just get the SS grids, I have every size for the large rig and woo. Again, don't ask why.

The oval grates Tom sell work nice for making your own raised grids if you do buy the Woo.

The spider part of the Woo3 has never interfered with the lump, other than maybe sitting on it at the start of a cook...
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2014
    Options
    hapster said:

The spider part of the Woo3 has never interfered with the lump, other than maybe sitting on it at the start of a cook...
    I agree, most times it won't but when I do an overnighter I like to use the Woo but also like loading the charcoal to the top of the fire ring. Really that is the only time it might get in the way. Otherwise there is really no need to load that much charcoal. Also haveing the option of separate pieces or one piece, the two piece option just make more sense.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    I decided on the Woo and separate spider because I was worried the WOO3 might be a bit ungainly to put down outside the EGG on uneven surfaces around my cooker.... I enjoy the set up I have PSWOO2 and separate Spider.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Another vote for PS Woo2 and separate spider. I like the flexibility of going legs down or up on the spider.

The 18" CI grid will not work on either model PS Woo as there is no slot to fit the Woo handles through.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2014
    Options
    On the PSWoo2 availability, hopefully we'll know more next week while the technician is here for our Numalliance 3d wire bender.  He needs to calibrate the tooling that makes the PSWoo ring with three half circles.  It's a simple part to look at but somewhat involved to fabricate.  

On the PSWoo3, we've discussed eliminating it.  Just not 100% sure.

On PSWoo advancement, we are experimenting with a PSWooCI, picture below.  One thing we're not sure on is if BGE has over the years changed their CI grid pattern. I don't think so, but not totally sure.  We have couple out working and no reports of problems.  Anybody know for sure on the consistency of the ci grid.   

thanks for all the comments, we are taking notes.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2014
    Options
    tjv said:

t

I Need another Woo now?  :-O  Do you need a tester in the field? =))

Not being able to use the CI grate is the only thing missing from the Woo, but I have been using your SS grates and like them almost as much. The big plus being that they don't rust , so there is less maintenance.

• EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    Well from reading these posts, I'm glad I brought this subject up. Hope to get a woo2 in my grill when they are back in stock.
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    tjv said:
    On PSWoo advancement, we are experimenting with a PSWooCI, picture below.  One thing we're not sure on is if BGE has over the years changed their CI grid pattern. I don't think so, but not totally sure.  We have couple out working and no reports of problems.  Anybody know for sure on the consistency of the ci grid.   

t
    @tjv,
    My CI looks just like the one in your picture.  I was new as of Christmas 2013 if that helps you any.
    I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens with the PS WooCI before I pull the trigger.  Like Hungry Joe said, if you need a tester, my Egg is always open.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen