Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT weekday booze?

13»

Comments

• shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    edited January 2014
    Alex Jones is a nut job!!!!....I actually think drinking might help him. I hate when they bring him on to talk about gun rights or politics or whatever is the topic at hand. I am a strong believer in my rights and he is the LAST person I want standing up for me or representing me
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    edited January 2014
    Well what happened to that guy has nothing to do with Alex (I'm in agreement with you on him)
    but wholey with what he confided in his doctor. Thats the only reason I used the reference.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    All days are drinking days.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    henapple said:
    A doctor once told me he multiplied by 3 the number of drinks per day a patient admitted to....
    I always say I drink "socially" and they usually just accept that as an answer.  I guess they don't realize that I only socialize with other alcoholics.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    insaneh said:

Well what happened to that guy has nothing to do with Alex (I'm in agreement with you on him)
    but wholey with what he confided in his doctor. Thats the only reason I used the reference.

Knowing the other side of it and being objective about it, it seems that it was less what he told the doctor and more how he was acting. As a medical professional, we have a very low threshold when someone mentions hurting themselves. The alternative is someone dying, so that's an easy decision to make.
  • insaneh
    Of course we only have his side of the story, but I'll take it as I see it.
    I temper anything I tell my doctor.
    Do you wear a seat belt? Nunya
    Do you own guns? Nunya
    ect.
  • Eggcelsior
    insaneh said:
    Of course we only have his side of the story, but I'll take it as I see it.
    I temper anything I tell my doctor.
    Do you wear a seat belt? Nunya
    Do you own guns? Nunya
    ect.
    I'm taking it as I see it too. He sounds crazy, so he was treated like he was.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Do docs really ask if you own guns? I always see army docs who are also commissioned officers so my experience is a little different.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • insaneh
    Not all. It has happened to me and I've read about it elsewhere. I've heard of instances where the kids were asked. That is a big no-no in my book.
    No idea what's done with the info, but it's over the line regardless.
  • Eggcelsior
    Do docs really ask if you own guns? I always see army docs who are also commissioned officers so my experience is a little different.
    I've never known a MD to ask me personally about guns. I heard about Pediatricians(like my daughter's) who will ask due to the fact that unintentional firearm-related deaths among children occur when the child has access to an unsecured gun. It's typically "Do you have a trigger lock or a safe" or something similar. They do it for the safety of the child. I really don't see how any responsible gun owner would have an issue with being asked this. We certainly didn't in regards to my wife's gun. Not everyone has common sense.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I personally don't drink a lot to begin with, but I am 42 years old and if I want to drink sociably or to excess on any given day I will.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM this beer tastes like Im not going into work tomorrow.

• insaneh
    No, sadly they don't all have common sense. It's still over the line. We have enough intrusions in our lives with out our health care professionals asking and recording information not pertinent to the visit.

I could sit there all day answering questions for things that "might" happen.
    "Does daddy sit at the stop sign for the full three seconds?" "How much does daddy and mommy drink?"
    Ect ect. Firearms just happens to be a current hot topic. If that weren't a problem, it would be another type of intrusion.
    There's a line to be drawn and grilling my children for agenda's is one of mine.

• Eggcelsior

insaneh said:
    No, sadly they don't all have common sense. It's still over the line. We have enough intrusions in our lives with out our health care professionals asking and recording information not pertinent to the visit.

"Does daddy sit at the stop sign for the full three seconds?" "How much does daddy and mommy drink?"
    Ect ect. Firearms just happens to be a current hot topic. If that weren't a problem, it would be another type of intrusion.
    There's a line to be drawn and grilling my children for agenda's is one of mine.

How exactly is it not pertinent? At all ages, pediatricians are focused the health of a child and maintaining it. In early stages of life - infancy, toddler, pre-school - the focus is on development, nutrition and safety. Once pre-school starts, the focus starts turning more to safety, since unintentional injury is the number one reason for mortality until adulthood. At this age, kids are curious and  inexperienced. They will get into everything since most things are going to be a new experience. Due to their developmental stage, the potential for injury is much greater. That's why they ask about if your kid wears a seatbelt, "do you have a pool?", etc. It's not any agenda beyond protecting the child. They are only following policies put forward by by their own organizations. The American Academy of Pediatrics  and American Academy of Family Physicians both have set guidelines for physicians to follow. This is why they ask these questions. It is not political. It's no different than your family doctor asking you about having your prostate and colon checked once you get near 50. It's all about safety, since cancer/disease is more likely to kill someone at that age rather than unintentional injury. 

I say all this as a Registered Nurse and with a mother who is a Family Physician. I'm not trying to argue. You have every right to refuse to answer those questions if you see fit, that is no trouble. I would only have trouble if the MD's aren't asking those questions, because they're not doing their job.

We are getting WAY off-base with this thread, so I digress. Thank you for the level-headed conversation.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    insaneh said:

i dont know, heavey drinking should be addressed in a drs office, my doc is ok with it AND he knows to check things like my liver. ive been arond asbestos, should he not know, why would he look for it if i didnt tell him, i want those xrays. dr sees black and blues on your kid, i hope he asks some questions, your kid is at the drs, its his visit, its between him and your kid, he is there for his patient, not for his patients dad.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I don't have a drinking problem.

I drink

I get drunk

I fall down

NO PROBLEM

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• insaneh
    edited January 2014
    I agree, we are getting way off base and back at you on the civil conversation. It's a nice change from some of the cess pools I've accidentally put my toe in.
    I will leave it off at this. It's not pertinent because there is no reason to ask. If there was signs of something like abuse, yes by all means ask the questions. If my childs Dr. asked an inappropriate
    question of my child for no reason, they wouldn't sit right for a week for the reaming they'd get from me.
    We can't just start asking random questions because there might be a problem. That's an intrusion. Probable cause or stay out of my business.
    Perceptions are what part of the problem is. (getting back to the OP) Somebodies idea of an alcoholic might be someone that drinks every night while someone else's is someone that has to
    drink a 5th every night.
  • fishlessman
    insaneh said:
    I agree, we are getting way off base and back at you on the civil conversation. It's a nice change from some of the cess pools I've accidentally put my toe in.
    I will leave it off at this. It's not pertinent because there is no reason to ask. If there was signs of something like abuse, yes by all means ask the questions. If my childs Dr. asked an inappropriate
    question of my child for no reason, they wouldn't sit right for a week for the reaming they'd get from me.
    We can't just start asking random questions because there might be a problem. That's an intrusion. Probable cause or stay out of my business.
    Perceptions are what part of the problem is. (getting back to the OP) Somebodies idea of an alcoholic might be someone that drinks every night while someone else's is someone that has to
    drink a 5th every night.
    was getting nervous, i only drink a half a fifth a night and some beers weekdays, not going to talk about weekends :D
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    heyyyyy, they're sinking the booze while egging thread :))
    fukahwee maine

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    4 to 5 beer a night if we don't have visitors, 10-15 if we do.  I make all my own so I manage the alcohol level accordingly.  I've got a 3.5 % pale ale on tap for big nights, an 8.5% saison on tap for other times and some 11% imperial milk stout for sipping by the fire and a whole bunch of things in between.  I base this on a regular 12 oz bottle.  My glasses are 20 oz so I have 3 or 4 of those most nights.

You only need about 2% alcohol to give the taste and perception of "beer" so I try to have some 3-3.5% brews on tap so I can drink all night without too many issues.  I love the taste of beer more than the alcohol (but I wouldn't suggest most folks trying to drink 1 for 1 with me all night, that always ends badly as I seem to have a fairly high natural tolerance or I'm just excessively "seasoned" so my advice may not be applicable to all :)  )
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52

If the Egg is hot, the beer is open! Isn't that in the owners manual somewhere?

But for chillaxing I prefer Single Barrel Jack straight up, to sip at.

Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • insaneh
    edited August 2014
    GOOD!

http:// www.alloutdoor. com/2014/08/05/florida-docs-guns/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2014-08-12&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter