Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Backstraps

Options
For eggers with a freezer full of venison, this is a great way to enjoy backstraps.  Butterflied, marinated, and stuff with spinach and cheese.  Then covered with a thin blanket of bacon. Can be cooked both raised direct and indirect.

imageimage
Valley City, Ohio

Comments

• shadowcaster
    Options
    Those look really good! I do a similar thing with my backstraps at times. I cut them into smaller steaks and butterfly them. Stuff them with goat cheese and wrap in bacon. It is out of this world. Thanks for sharing!

One question, is it just the picture or do those backstraps look white?
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    I cooked them just like this. In twenty some years in trying to find the perfect way to cook them,,this way was the best. I will continue to cook them this way in the future
    Also made a brandy mushroom cream sauce.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • VC_Outlaw
    Options
    @shadowcaster Sorry, I was away from my computer for a week. I think I grabbed the wrong picture.  As you know the venison is a rich dark red color.  Also these pictures are missing the bacon which I always use to wrap the backstraps.  This must have been a pork loin I did following the same method.  I will have to try the goat cheese.  Do you have any trouble with it melting out ?

Valley City, Ohio
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Haha no problem I was just confused. Some of the goat cheese melts out but with the bacon wrapped around it holds most of it in. I usually do them indirect then direct the last minute or so, that allows the bacon to crisp up
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Two_Down
    Options
    Any idea on IT for deer? 

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Venison is best cooked no more than med rare. 130 degrees.
    Duncan, SC
  • Rebelst8
    Options
    I've cooked venison twice this week. Backstraps marinated 2 different ways. The best way was the backstrap sliced thin, marinated for 24 hours in publix amazing steak seasoning, then just grilled. Juicy, tender, great flavor (a little peppery). The other way, I used Myron Mixon's BBQ rub, but it made the backstraps a little too sweet. Both ways tasted good, super teder...but i like a little kick in mine, more so than sweet. 
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast