Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

suggestions on rub for ribs using oakridge rubs

Options
Have a problem . I got the sample pack of rubs from them and I like all of them. Problem is the wife does not like anything hot or spicy :(  This makes it near impossible to cook ribs as far as I'm concerned . She tasted the secret weapon rub and said " ohhhh that's hot"  I really like the taste of it and wanted to order some but now I don't know what to do. If I get some and rub the ribs down she won't eat them. So how in the hell am I suppose to make BBQ if she won't eat anything hot. What I think is not hot or spicy she thinks it is and way to much :(.
Am I doomed to only make ribs/BBQ for myself ????
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    More ribs for you! I dont see the downside lol. My wife thinks bbq is "okay." I just invite people over to eat.
    NW IOWA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The competition rub isn't too bad over any other rub.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    She tasted all the rubs
     Only one she did like was the chicken rub that I but on a chicken .last weekend . Thing is when I had her do a taste  test out of the bags tonight she even said the chicken rub was to hot.
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oy vey. New wife?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    After cooking the spice level typically drops (much stronger and concentrated out of the package) hence the chicken rub difference in opinion.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I great rib rub is the Simply Marvelous cherry rub.  Great flavor without being really spicy.. It is my go to rub now for ribs.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    My wife is the same way when it comes to smoke. Everything is "too smokey". Leaves more for the kids and me.
    XL BGE
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    My wife doesn't like spicy either.  I have made ribs several times with Oakridge BBQ Sceret Weapon and Compititation
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    You can apply the rub a little lighter on hers and follow it with a light coat of a sweeter rub or dust or mix in a little sugar (brown or raw). The sweet will offset the heat.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I make a 'Kid Rub' for the wife and kids. Just sugar, salt, garlic powder, and oregano. They love it. I use all the 'good stuff'. So I make a rack for them and a rack for me. Gee, I love that word rack!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Honestly I think you would be fine with the secret weapon.  After rubbing it on the ribs and cooking it I don't think there will be a hint of spicy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Think I will get more of the secret weapon. Split the rack in half and load her side up with brown sugar and then have her do a taste test between the two. Did not even think about the spice dropping down after the the cook.
    Jefferson .GA.