Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee rub

Options

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's really not. Mine doesn't like anything spicy from the kitchen.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    When you use the coffee rub on a steak how do you cook it?  Does it matter?  I usually reverse sear for a thick steak, that works ok with the coffee rub I assume?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Swmbo dosent like anything spicy so I am always cautious of recipes with chili powders and a lot of pepper...how spicy us Mickeys coffee rub?
    Its not very spicy. I had to double or triple the heat (used cayenne) in my first batch to give it some kick. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks gang!
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Swmbo dosent like anything spicy so I am always cautious of recipes with chili powders and a lot of pepper...how spicy us Mickeys coffee rub?

Not spicy at all. Wife and Grandkids will not eat steak without it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I do not put the chili powder in it and it tastes great.  Have used it a bunch.  My wife is the same as yours.  Mickey says it isn't spicy even with the chili powder.
    Milton, GA.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I was also curious as to how spicy the ancho pepper powder was so looked up its Scoville rating.  It is 1500 -2000 which puts it between green Tabasco sauce (600 -800) and red Tabasco sauce (2500 - 5000). It should be OK for my family's tastes.  We're going to give it a try.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mickey
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I was also curious as to how spicy the ancho pepper powder was so looked up its Scoville rating.  It is 1500 -2000 which puts it between green Tabasco sauce (600 -800) and red Tabasco sauce (2500 - 5000). It should be OK for my family's tastes.  We're going to give it a try.
    In the rub i do it is not hot. The girl granddaughters from 8 years old would eat it and now want it with steak. Not hot
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bettysnephew
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Mickey With the dilution rate of the ancho to other ingredients, it did not appear to me it would be too hot.  I was just curious as to where the pepper stood in relation to others before purchasing some at my local Mexican grocery store.  Will be giving it a try a bit later this week.  Thanks for the recipe and the comment.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • wmcguire93
    Options
    Looking forward to trying this! From all of the comments it sounds great. I have to admit the Mrs. raised an eyebrow at the recipe because she does not like coffee, but is willing to give it a try.

Could not find ancho chili powder already prepared so I had to settle for whole dried peppers I'll have to grind myself.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• henapple
    Options
    Are there any mexican markets near you?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Looking forward to trying this! From all of the comments it sounds great. I have to admit the Mrs. raised an eyebrow at the recipe because she does not like coffee, but is willing to give it a try.

Could not find ancho chili powder already prepared so I had to settle for whole dried peppers I'll have to grind myself.

You can also order online. I get it in bulk from Penzeys. Shipping is free over 30 something bucks, I believe. It's great in anything Tex/Mex or Southwestern.
  • wmcguire93
    Options
    @henapple, No mexican markets in the area.  I found a large bag of the dried peppers for just a couple of dollars at Walmart and we have a good food processor, which should make short work of the peppers.

On another note, what brand coffee does everyone use, or does it really matter?  Judging from the comments, it seems to me how fine the coffee is ground has some bearing.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    I've got my batch made up.  Will try it on chicken tomorrow or Friday.  Sure smells good in the zip lock bag.  I suspect it will be great on the pollo.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • henapple
    Options
    Damn I can't remember but I think it's a ground instant expresso.
  • wmcguire93
    Options
    The picture Micky posted was instant espresso.  I found the same brand of ground espresso, but it was not instant.  I was not sure if that made a difference.

• bettysnephew
    edited January 2014
    Options
    All I can say is WOW!  Thanks @Mickey!  This is the best poultry rub I have ever tasted and the wife agrees.  Had to use the indoor oven as the cover is frozen solid on the Egg and I didn't want to go through the same song and dance as happened at Thanksgiving with the turkey.  Can't wait to try this on the Egg.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mickey
    Options
    My wife and granddaughters want it on steak

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Mickey, I was able to get a pack of ancho chili powder finally. Dumb question: is the recipe measurement by volume or by weight? 
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey, I was able to get a pack of ancho chili powder finally. Dumb question: is the recipe measurement by volume or by weight? 
    I use volume. I start out with a half cup coffee and go from there.

• henapple
    Options
    I start off with half a cup of coffee....Then Jack Daniels, Amaretto and whipped cream. Great night cap. Called a Tennessee Mud.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @wmcguire93 - this is what @mickey uses.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    Options
    Yes...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    sorry bout you having to turn your head sideways

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    @Mickey this rub was a huge hit on the Beef Ribs yesterday.. Can't wait to use it on my next Brisket cook... Thanks again for sharing...
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • wmcguire93
    Options
    Just finished getting all of the ingredients yesterday.  I plan on mixing it up today and giving it a try.

• insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Options
    Tried this twice now. Maybe just me, but it really doesn't do anything for me.
    It's not bad, just not a sock knocker.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • Mickey
    Options
    Alton said:

@Mickey this rub was a huge hit on the Beef Ribs yesterday.. Can't wait to use it on my next Brisket cook... Thanks again for sharing...

I will try on beef ribs

• Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Did a few racks of St. Louis cut with this and they were a-freakin-mazing. 

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I've been wanting to try this out, but am unsure if I will be able to find this specific coffee. Is there a substitute?