Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Table

bgephile
bgephile Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in EGG Table Forum

Howdy all! I'm new here to eggheadforum.com. I bought my Large BGE from my boss back in March of 2013 (he bought an XL). After 9 months of using my Egg in its nest, I decided I wanted to build a table to make prepping and cooking easier. I guess I could have just added some “mates” and called it a day, but that wouldn’t be a challenge now, would it?

In order to fit the table where I wanted it, I had to extend our patio a bit, so I picked up some crushed granite, some pavers and rented a soil compactor and set to work:

excavation1965002_10101148259101605_1839165099_o1458487_10101148259116575_601709244_n

I originally wanted a fancy table with drawers and and a closed cabinet to store items. Weeks of planning, browsing photos and conferring with others brought me back to a fairly basic table design. I used the plans from the Naked Whiz site as a base to start from (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.htm) and then modified it to fit my needs. After visiting about 5 local lumberyards in search of the “perfect” wood, I chose incense cedar (Calocedrus decurrens) for the project, mostly due to its affordable cost compared to other alternatives but also due to its color, durability, rot resistance and weathering characteristics.

The legs are 2×6, the rest is 1×2.5 (ripped down from 1×6). I wanted the table to be as sturdy as possible, so I cut notches in the legs for the shelf and tabletop frames to sit in, this way the legs carry most of the weight, instead of a glued/screwed joint. I also stained each joint with Ready Seal as I went along.

IF

IF

One of my goals with this project was no visible screws, so I chose to use a Kreg Jig for pocket holes and their 2″ Blue-Kote screws, and used Titebond II at every joint as well:

IF

IF

All of the surface slats had their edges rounded out using a 1/4″ radius round over bit on my palm router, then sanded smooth. The Rockler Bench Cookies certainly came in handy when routing, sanding and staining!

IF

Most tables that I’ve seen have the egg sitting up higher off of the table top due to the hinge in the back of the Egg. I wanted my Egg to be as flush as possible with the table top, and therefore I would need to make my table top deeper than most (dimensions are 66″ long x 33.5″ deep x 38.5″ high).

IF

For the prep area, I originally had planned for a 24″ x 24″ slab of granite. After giving it some thought, I decided to go “cheap” and ordered 4 – 12″ x 12″ Cambria Charston Quartz samples to fit in the prep area. One thing I did not take into account, since they’re samples, they’re not exactly 12″ squares, and each sample differs in size by a slight margin. Oh well, they’ll do for now. Sometime down the road I’ll fit a 24″ x 24″ slab of the same quartz in instead. You can see the signature blue flecks of the Charston in this shot:

Charston

Overall, I’m extremely happy with how it turned out. It’s definitely the closest I’ve come to building a professional quality piece of furniture. Without a doubt, it has made grilling much more pleasurable, even on top of owning the Big Green Egg!

FullShot

bge_table_finished

- Chris w/ a Large Egg in San Antonio, TX

Comments