Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning a used DO

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208

Well I got me a big ole cast iron chili pot. Couldn;

't find the DO's I want....yet.

Does anyone have any input on seasoning /reseasoning a cast iron DO ?

Here is what I have found through searching the web:

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-seasoning.shtml

I intend to start out doing the initial seasoning on this used DO and see what happens !!!

Looking forward to your suggestions and comments,

I'm ready for chili !!!!

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    Options
    Slap some Crisco solid all over it and stick in an over or your BGE at ~500 for an hour or so.

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you do it in the oven, be ready to disconnect smoke detectors. Don't ask me how I know... I always use my egg now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2014
    Options
    http://www.panman.com/cleaning.html

Probably more than you wanted to know. :) I usually do what CP92 said, though at 300° or so.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dldawes1
    Options

Thanks folks.

I can see a seasoning happening after I cook my stuffed pork TL, ABTs, and spatchcock chicken tomorrow night !!

Definately not doing in the house !!

Thanks again, 

Donnie

• dldawes1
    Options
    Found me a used/looks like new Lodge #12 CI DO at the flea market today for $20.  Good deal ????

Then I noticed where someone had repaired a 3" long crack at the top of the wall by braising it. Should this be a problem ????

It looks like a very good braising job. I went ahead and bought it so I guess we'll see what happens. I'll season it tomorrow evening.....planning on trying a peach cobbler on first time use.

All comments and suggestions are highly appreciated,

Donnie

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I'm sure it'll do fine. I wouldn't recommend doing a high heat strip of old seasoning though. If you are wanting to strip it down I would suggest that you douse it in easy off oven cleaning and putting it in a trash bag. Tie it up and let it sit for a few days and go and spray more on and tie it up and let it sit another few days. But chances are all you need to do is keep the existing seasoning and add a few layers. I use cisco vegetable shorting and never had problems with it. I highly recommend doing it in the egg unless you really want to stink up your house.

Egg at 350 with indirect setup
    Put DO in egg for 15 minutes to heat up
    Get a good set of heat resistant gloves
    Take out DO and rub shortning all over inside, then take a paper towel and wipe every bit of it off, then use the paper towel to wipe the outside. Key is very thin layer. Let it bake for 30 to 45 minutes and take it out and give it another layer. Do 4 or so layers.
    Dunedin, FL
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @YZZI...Wow, thanks, I really didn't expect such good directions !!!! Although the forum always provides great feedback, sometimes I'm a little slow at decifering and understanding what to do. You have made it simple for me....just what I needed !!!

I will follow your instructions and see what happens. The DO looks brand new....just repaired....Don't know what could have happened to it. 

Thanks, I can taste the peach cobbler and the chili that I have big plans for....already !!!!

Donnie

• dldawes1
    Options
    All seasoned and ready for peach cobbler and chili !!!!!

Thanks again,
    Donnie