Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

cheese preferences for pizza

RRPRRP Posts: 14,721
what cheeses do most of you find to be the best for your pizzas? I know it's a personal taste, but surely there are some time tested - success proven winners and especially combinations of cheeses! 

BTW I make my own mozzarella and while that makes a big difference I'm afraid I am using too much and too many other cheeses as well. My standard pizza besides meat and veggies also include: 

Mozzarella
Munster 
Harvarti 
Romano 
Asiago

BTW I grate my hard cheeses and use none of the shredded products on the market.
Thanks!
Ron
Dunlap, IL
·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 7,170
    I usually just use fresh sliced mozzarella.  That would be a ton of cheese to use all that.  I find less is more with pizza.  Simple ingredients so you can taste them all.  I can see all of that being muddled together.  

I'd love to make my own though...is it hard?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • I use mozz and definitely a bit of asiago.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    edited January 2014
    I use Mozzarella and a bit of Parm or Asiago SWMBO likes a little Feta on hers
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • We use mozz, but there is usually some parm in the sauce we'll make.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,679
    My mother in-law owns a pizza restaurant and they use a mix of mozzarella and provolone for their pies.  They are very good I must say!
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,146
    1) Fresh Mozz (sliced and dried in paper towel for few hours before the cook) 
    2) 100% whole milk Mozz

* recently tried Buffalo Mozz (mozzarella di bufala) and it was good but too $ for normal use
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,964
    Velveeta FTW!!!   :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,655
    gotta go with the stinky cheese ron

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,428
    Fresh mozzarella, goat cheese or Boursin. Never all three together. Maybe @rrp can give us a "how to" for making mozzarella? ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,721
    GrannyX4 said:
    Fresh mozzarella, goat cheese or Boursin. Never all three together. Maybe @rrp can give us a "how to" for making mozzarella? ;;)
    I started a thread on this recipe within 5 minutes of starting this preference thread. Look at Recent Discussions if you can't seem to find it, but it should be staring right at you! LOL
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,609
    @NDG - do you have a Costco near you? They sell a bufala mozz that is quite good. $12 or so for 4 (maybe 5) almost tennis ball sized balls. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,146
    Costco has bufala mozz?  Good to know!
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,609
    Looks like this:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • My mother in-law owns a pizza restaurant and they use a mix of mozzarella and provolone for their pies.  They are very good I must say!
    This is what a lot of Pizza places use!
    ·
    OK - going with mozzarella and provolone ONLY - what ratios? 50-50 or 75-25?
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Mozza and Provolone here as well.  About 60% Mozza, 40% Provolone.  Sprinkling of fresh Parm on top
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,791
    edited January 2014
    Ron, I have a blend that I sometimes use. I don't recall the percentages of each, but quantities in this order... mozz, cheddar, romano, asiago. It's quite good. Looks like this...

Also, you might take a look at some of these. 

Each week, they have a slideshow of member's pizzas. Many describe dough method, type of flour, cheeses, toppings, etc. Some look great, others, not so much. But lots of ideas.  

If I were going with mozz and provolone (though I never have), I would do 75-25.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
    Thank you - got it bookmarked - some pretty strange toppings tried there I see - cabbage, cashews, eggplant...sounds like clean out the refrig pizza! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
    Try Roberta's Baby Sinclair. Kale, cheddar calabrian chilis (or bomba works), garlic, mushrooms, vinegar, parm, I forget what all is on it. I submitted it to My Pie Monday a while back. Was delicious.

Mine...
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
    Oh, and cashews aren't so strange. How about pistachios? Excellent!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,679
    @RRP - I am not sure the ratio.  I am thinking 50/50.  They are coming to visit tomorrow from Ohio and I will ask her. 

They have one pizza I LOVE.  Call the "Man Eater Mike".  Its all meat pizza (peperoni, bacon, ham, sausage) with same blend of cheese, but the top is covered with fresh parm! 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,655
    im surprised no one uses fontina mixed with mozz and asiago, or gorganzola. heres a pissaladiere with gorganzola, this is an extremely rich in flavor pizza, two slices and call it good

·