Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Cast Iron Deal

A friend of mine just told me about this deal on Amazon -- 5 pieces of Lodge for just $65 & free shipping.   
Just thought I'd pass it along... Here is the link:  
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QM8SLG
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Aren't you supposed to be off in Africa attending a BGE cooking demo/fest? ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    Aren't you supposed to be off in Africa attending a BGE cooking demo/fest? ;)
    haha!  :D  We start our journey tomorrow and the BGE demo is a week from today.  
    And:  I'm so stinking excited about it!  <:-P
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Thats a good deal for someone starting out! Enjoy your trip Kristi, can't wait to see the pictures
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I would be to if I were you. Have fun and safe travels.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Thanks for the heads up about Amazon. I got the 5 qt. Dutch oven without legs for $30. Awesome. Travel safe.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That is a killer deal! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Thanks for posting Kristi! I missed this deal last time. Just placed my order.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I am tempted to buy the set but I'm not sure what I would use them for with the Egg.  Can you folks give me examples of how you use them?  Thanks.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @QDude - the DO can be used for making chili, stews, curries... all kinds of things. I use a small Lodge skillet to cook breakfast on the mini occasionally. Some folks cut the handle off of a larger skillet for dedicated use in the egg. I have probably used my DO in the egg more than the skillets. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Order placed.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Be safe kid.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    I'm thinking cobbler, stew, corn bread...  Time to pull the trigger!
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited January 2014
    @QDude -- the skillets are wonderful for deep dish pizzas and casseroles.  Like @caliking said, the dutch oven is perfect for chilis, stews, etc.  
    I don't own the comal (griddle), but VI said he loves that more than any of his cast iron toys.  Now I need one of those, too. ;)

I also use my cast iron skillets inside on the "big clock".  
  • SmokeyPitt
    Breakfast for dinner!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• porta
    porta Posts: 88
    ^^^^ BRINNER!
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    I enjoy my Lodge skillets sounds like a bargain! Have a great trip Kristi and We look forward to finally learning how to properly braise an elephant trunk or slow cook a Zebra brisket so post often with lots of pictures! Stay safe!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm glad all you guys like Lodge. It keeps the price of the good stuff down.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

I'm glad all you guys like Lodge. It keeps the price of the good stuff down.  :D

You snob! :P

Lodge outside and the good stuff inside. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    cazzy said:
    You snob! :D
    Guilty.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I ordered a set.  Thank you.
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    Question to all of you with Dutch ovens. Is the 5 qt big enough most of the time for chilis and stews? My buddy says I need to get the 7 qt as he didnt think the five was big enough. What do you all think?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    When I make chili, I like a big pot as there is not much better than chili leftovers in my opinion. I have an 8 qt porcelain coated one that I've used several times. I would think a 5 qt would be a little on the small side but you could make it work for a smaller batch. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • shannonlcorum
    shannonlcorum Posts: 200
    edited January 2014

This looks like a good deal. I could use them in my outdoor pizza oven (wood-fired oven) too. I cooked my Thanksgiving turkey in the pizza oven last year. Turned out really good. Think I'll try it in the egg this year. One thing is for certain, it's much easier to light the egg than my wood-fired oven. That things takes 1 1/2-2 hours to get up to temp (900+). Then if you don't want to cook things at 900 degress, you have to wait for it to cool down. Pizzas do great at this temp. I use the peel to throw them in directly on the firebrick floor, then watch them bubble up almost immediately. It only takes about 90 seconds to cook a pizza.  

It was still too hot when I put the turkey in (650-ish, I was running out of time!), but it was pretty cool to watch the skin draw up instantly under the heat. 13 lb turkey was done in about 1 1/2 hours. Had a nice smokey flavor. I may have to do some trial runs in the egg. I suddenly have a taste for turkey.

ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    EazyE said:
    Question to all of you with Dutch ovens. Is the 5 qt big enough most of the time for chilis and stews? My buddy says I need to get the 7 qt as he didnt think the five was big enough. What do you all think?
    Not trying to sound like a smart ass, it depends of course on how much you make. Usually just cooking for two of us, and because I have a MBGE, the 5 qt is perfect both in capacity and fit for the egg. This is a great buy identified by Kristi. 
    The griddle is great as a baking steel (poor man's version of course)...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    The 5 quart is just slightly on the smallish side, but I can make a full batch of Cowlick chili in it.  It is filled to the very top but reduces while cooking.  

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I am tempted to buy the set but I'm not sure what I would use them for with the Egg.  Can you folks give me examples of how you use them?  Thanks.
    Some uses I found for skillets are searing steaks, cooking meatballs, shrimp scampi, Blackened fish / chicken, peppers /onions for fajitas, corn bread, and I use it for a drip pan a lot too now that I think about it, lol.

Dutch oven, chili, baked beans, bread, anything you'd use a slow cooker for if you wanted to do it on the egg. They are great for frying inside too.

We use cast iron almost exclusively at our house these days. The nice allclad pans don't get much action anymore.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Last batch of chili I made was in my 16 quart Camp Chef.  Still recovering from my hernia I got picking it up off the Egg.  I like to freeze my chili for those cold winter days when I'm hibernating inside from the cold.
  • When my son was in boy scouts they made dump cake in a Dutch oven while camping one time. Wish I could remember how they did it.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I got mine yesterday...Thank you Amazon Prime! Cool set...will definitely put it to good use!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    When my son was in boy scouts they made dump cake in a Dutch oven while camping one time. Wish I could remember how they did it.
    It's something like a can of peaches and a box of cake mix.