Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can an xl egg go

Hi all, new to the forum, I don't have an egg yet but have been doing research. I plan on upgrading my smoker and have been thinking about an xl egg. I was wondering about how long can an xl maintain temps of about 225-250 on a full load of lump. Any  estimates from current xl eggers would be a big help.

Comments

• I've gone about 18 hrs and still hand some left but intend to fill mine almost to the top of the fire ring. I once did a pizza party for the oldest kids bday and held it about 550 for 4.5 hrs
  • Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Thanks, just what I really wanted to hear. I like to do long low and slow cooks usually pork buts and briskets. I was a little nervous about the egg because it doesn't seem like there is an easy way to reload an egg with lump during a cook, especially if the plate setter is in use.
  • Cloom
    wow that is very impressive, I was worried about the xl, lots of people on the forum and even the dealers I talked to were very pro large. They said that the xl would use a lot more lump and would have to be refilled over a long cook, glad to see proof otherwise. Thanks for the very helpful and fast responses
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have an XL and have done 17 hours without running out of lump.  I have read of folks who go as much as 24 hours, I personally don't want a cook to take that long!  For a long cook, I do lay the fire carefully.  It seems to me that those with large BGE's can cook just as long.  With less space and ceramic to heat, you don't burn quite as much lump. With that said, lately I have been doing my pork butts "turbo" at about 350.  5 hours and done for a 7 pounder ( or several).  I also have done brisket with the turbo method, again total success.

As for large vs XL, knowing what I do now, what the XL gives you is capacity.  The only cook I have done that could not be done on a large is Paella using my 18" pan.  Because I do not usuallycook for large crowds, the large would do.   On the other hand, when I want to cook meat, veggies, and a DO of beans all at once, I don't need an engineer to figure out where to put everything. 

You will go through lots of lump,  the XL can hold 10 lbs+ of lump when full. I have the lump reducer and use it for 3-4 hour cooks, it is a good accessory.  I plan to add a small egg this year, to me it is overkill to fire up the XL for a couple of pork chops!
    Here are 4 butts on my home made 2-level grid, I could have fit 6.  This was a 17 hour cook:  10 PM to 3 PM
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • ALL NIGHT LOOOONNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!:)
  • Cloom
    Thanks for the info, great pic Bob. I plan on using my egg mostly for long low and slow cooks and when I light that up I usually do 4 butts or 2 butts and a packer. Also love to do chickens and ribs. Like the option of a raised grid, I was thinking of eventually getting a woo or AR setup but I think that will come later.

The lump reducing ring looks like a great idea for smaller cooks, currently I have a great Weber gasser that I use for burgers, dogs, steaks and chops but it looks like something I should look into. Would you recommend using it for a pizza cook?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I've gone close to 26 hrs in mild weather in the xl. The large and medium have gone past 30 hrs. That's a temp of 250F.
  • 20-22 hours easy for me...got 24 hours one time...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I've held 200+ for over 30 hours on my xL. I cooked a few pork butts that took 17 hours and finished at 4pm then forgot to shut down. By the next morning the xl was still holding strong over 200.

I guess I can fit more lump in with the adjustable rig instead of using a plate setter.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Can't speak for the XL, but have gone 29 hours on the large at 225 with lump left over. Figure the XL will go longer.
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    I have gone 22 hours with lump left in my XL.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Tjcoley said:

Can't speak for the XL, but have gone 29 hours on the large at 225 with lump left over. Figure the XL will go longer.

Not necessarily......the xl may hold a bunch more charcoal, but it also has a lot more space inside to heat, and a lot more surface area to radiate heat from. It has that much charcoal inside because it needs to. Any thermodynamic engineers here?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    32 hours here.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    The reasons to go Large vs. XL is probably not related to the lump consumption. Those are more related to price, options,  convenience and need for space.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    I have used the XL to cook butts for a friend wedding.One load and I went for 30 hours ( i was serving BBQ from 11:30 a.m unlit late at night) with multiple butts coming and going. I used a PartyQ since I wanted to join the other party.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    It will vary depending on the lump you use. I went 22 hours a couple weeks ago with royal oak which burns quickly and that wasn't even as full as I could have gotten it. I I was using a more dense lump like wicked good or fogo you could go well over 30 hours.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    No offense, you may plan on getting an XL for primarily low temp cooks, but I would bet money that after a few months the gasser is on the curb or craigslist and the XL is used for all cooks.

That's just the pattern seen on this forum.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    edited January 2014
    BYS1981 said:
    No offense, you may plan on getting an XL for primarily low temp cooks, but I would bet money that after a few months the gasser is on the curb or craigslist and the XL is used for all cooks.

That's just the pattern seen on this forum.
    +1, especially if the gasser burner and what not start rusting, or worse, you find a colony of Mickey's cousins in it after the winter .... don't ask how I know!
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I think a lot depends on the lump...I did a 220 with Rockwood and had to reload after 3 hours...

=)) =)) =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    with a full load low/slow < 275 had it go for 22hrs and then did a new cook - steaks at > 650 with the leftovers. 
  • henapple said:
    I think a lot depends on the lump...I did a 220 with Rockwood and had to reload after 3 hours... =)) =)) =))

That's still waaaaay better than when I did a cook @ 210 for only 2hrs with Ozark Oak and had to refill my Lump 4 different times! I guess that kinda explains why Rockwood is clearly the winner. :D
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

henapple said:

I think a lot depends on the lump...I did a 220 with Rockwood and had to reload after 3 hours...

=)) =)) =))

That's still waaaaay better than when I did a cook @ 210 for only 2hrs with Ozark Oak and had to refill my Lump 4 different times! I guess that kinda explains why Rockwood is clearly the winner. :D

@RickyBobby absolutely golden right there!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    I would take 10 pounds of Ozark oak over 20 pounds of Rockwood. I was down to about a quarter of a bag of Rockwood and poured it into my small the other day for a pizza and it was like half penny size or smaller with lots of dust mixed in. This wasn't the end of the bag I filled the small.and still have a couple pounds left and what's left in the bag is even worse. I closed the small.and filled the large with natures own and fired it up I didn't feel like struggling with dust trying to get the small to pizza temps. Sounds like others aren't having this issue but I got a bag for a buddy also and he said he threw the last eight of the bag away. Kinda disappointed.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @Lit - do you think the bigger bags contribute to this? I have gone thru about 9 bags of RW and seen this on 1 bag, almost choked the small up. On the other hand I have run 7 bags of OO and not seen this. Not complaining, just more of a thought.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    From my experience the bigger bags have bigger pieces and less waste. I have bought small cowboy and royal oak bags and big bags of each also and the bigger bags have always had bigger pieces. My prefered lump for low and slows is fogo off amazon and it comes in 35 pound bags and half the bag is always fist size or bigger and fully carbonized and burns really slow due to how dense it us. Ozark oak is just a much better lump from my experience than Rockwood even if it comes in only small bags. A plus to Rockwood is the smoke is really neutral but so is Ozark oak. I have burnt through 500 pounds of Ozark oak and never been disappointed and 2 bags of Rockwood and neither were impressive. I took pictures of what was in my small and what was left in the bag I will post when I'm not on my phone.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I normally fill to the top of the fire ring for low and slow on my XL and after 24 hours at 225 degreesI still have about half left.  I've done it with Rockwood, Ozark Oak, Dragon Breath and BGE lump.  I have to believe it will go 40 hours with no problem.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7 said:

I normally fill to the top of the fire ring for low and slow on my XL and after 24 hours at 225 degreesI still have about half left.  I've done it with Rockwood, Ozark Oak, Dragon Breath and BGE lump.  I have to believe it will go 40 hours with no problem.

I agree!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Cookinbob said:
    I have an XL and have done 17 hours without running out of lump.  I have read of folks who go as much as 24 hours, I personally don't want a cook to take that long!
    It's not always about a cook taking that long. I did pork butts one Friday night for a party the next day and pulled it at 2pm the next. Then just threw on some chicken and after that sausage, Never had to reload. Started partying and never shut the egg down and got up Sunday morning and the egg was still 300. 32 hours after lighting it. There wasn't enough charcoal to do much but this was on lowly Royal Oak.