Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First truly successful pizza

Greetings-

Thanks to everyone at this forum sharing their knowledge, I think I did a pizza worth presenting. The crust was from Trader Joe's, allowed to warm up for an hour before rolling out, topped with roasted red pepper strips, sliced tomatoes, basil, and a mix of mozzarella & provolone slices. Used the PS legs up, 1 inch tall separators, then pizza stone. Kept the egg between 550 and 575 degrees, cooked for 6 min, then turn 180° and cook for another 5 min. Crust was crisp and light, cheese was perfectly melted but not burned. Taste was just amazing, I nearly gave myself a standing ovation :-) Thanks again to everyone who posted their recipes/ideas, they are a great help!

Cheers,

Chris
Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    I want one. Nice cook!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • roblewroblew Posts: 78
    Nice looking pizza
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • marcfedmarcfed Posts: 47
    Looks good! I find the dough that Publix makes in their deli section to be perfect for my pizza cooks and it only around $2.50 for the dough
  • Very nice! Pizzas are the best on the Egg
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,492
    Awesome looking pie! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Looks great, but I won't be happy till I can use homemade dough every time.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,684
    Nice pie!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Awesome looking pizza! Next time, let me know. I'll be over.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • tcampbelltcampbell Posts: 646
    I was not a fan of pizza until cooking them on the egg.looks great
  • I have a book called Artisan Breads in 5 minutes a day by Jeff Hertzberg, MD and Zoe Fancoil. I use an olive oil dough recipe out of there to make my pizza dough thats really good. They also have a book called Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in 5 Minutes a day. Both can be found on Amazon. I don't have the second book, but they have a lot of different recipes depending on the type of crust you want. My kids like the fluffier, bubbly crust, which the olive oil bread does wonderfully. I haven't tried a pizza in the BGE yet, but I have a wood-fired oven that I cook my pizzas in. My temps are usually at least 750 and I have pizza in 90 seconds. When I do use the egg, I will probably shoot for a high temp. More than likely, big pizza nights will be done in the WFO (wood fired oven). Last summer I did 15 pizzas one evening. There's no way I could do that on an egg at up to 10 minutes each.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • Thanks for the comments, I have not tackled a home made crust but it is on the list!

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn