Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker with Mobile Wifi Hotspot

I am considering getting the Stoker but I am reluctant to mess around with the settings on our home wifi router given the number of devices that link to it and not impacting the the wifi speed some of these devices need for streaming video. I was wondering anyone knew if using a mobile wifi hotspot with the Stoker was an option.

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Going to bump because I'm interested as well. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I'm considering the Stoker as well. I was under the impression that the only router setup changes needed were 1) assign a static IP to the Stoker and 2) make a port forwarding entry to send web page requests to the Stoker's static IP.

Neither of those should impact the functionality or speed of other devices on the wifi network. That is, unless I'm missing some other configuration needs?
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137

I am not a tech guy so I could be wrong on this but my understanding is the Stoker operates at a slower transmission rate, 802.11b, which causes the router to step down to this speed impacting all other devices. 

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

NJ_BBQ said:

I am not a tech guy so I could be wrong on this but my understanding is the Stoker operates at a slower transmission rate, 802.11b, which causes the router to step down to this speed impacting all other devices. 

Not sure about the Stoker, but that shouldn't be the case from a general networking perspective. 

And I as I understand it, I can't imagine the Stoker would generate enough traffic to impact other devices on the network - just serving basic web pages.
    NOLA
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Stoker has no noticeable impact on my network. I have 28 devices on my network and still get fast downloads speeds. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    A Wireless B device can affect your overall throughput, but won't bring your entire network down to B speeds. It potentially could degrade G/N device speeds by 30-40%, but that's a general estimate. You would need to test your wireless network speed on your G and N devices while it's active to see what type of speed degradation you're experiencing.

I don't worry about it for a few reasons. 1. My Stoker is only active when I'm doing a long cook and it's usually overnight or when I'm at work. 2. I have a dual band router and most of my high use mobile devices are connected to my 5ghz channel. 3. All of my really really important devices are hard wired.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....