Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meant to post this pic earlier...

No egging for me until we thaw a bit!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    But that's the best egging weather! 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    That is a lot of snow. I like winter egging, don't worry about the smoke as much as summer when neighbors have their windows open.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Yep, it's a lot of snow, but I'd shovel a trail and fire her up. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    The smoke smells that much better when the weather is like it is. Fire that thing UP!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Man that Egg just looks so lonely out there all by itself.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Man up, get out a shovel and clear a path.
    MJG Posts: 598
    Shovel a path and fire it up!
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I see what the problem is...

Take off the GD cover!!!

That's extra time and another step that's preventing you from lifting the lid. You know as soon as you see the lump and smell the remains of your last cook, you'll be compelled to fire it up!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2014
    I cannot find it at the moment, but I have a pic of me grilling steaks on my XL during snowmageddon of 2010 (Washington DC area).  I am 5-11-1/2 and the snow as up to my chest. It was ~4ft deep. I had to clear a path on the deck and down the steps for the dog (also had to dig down to grass as he would not do anything on that much snow) - anyway I just had to shovel another "Y" off of that ~8-10ft to the egg. 

We had power. We had heat.  The problem... we were having steaks for dinner.  My response was "I'll be back in a few minutes - now where did I put that shovel"  :) 
  • onedbguru said:
    I cannot find it at the moment, but I have a pic of me grilling steaks on my XL during snowmageddon of 2010 (Washington DC area).  I am 5-11-1/2 and the snow as up to my chest. It was ~4ft deep. I had to clear a path on the deck and down the steps for the dog (also had to dig down to grass as he would not do anything on that much snow) - anyway I just had to shovel another "Y" off of that ~8-10ft to the egg. 

We had power. We had heat.  The problem... we were having steaks for dinner.  My response was "I'll be back in a few minutes - now where did I put that shovel"  :) 

I'd love to see those pics!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • onedbguru said:

Reminds me of this:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    @johnInCarolina, that looks like a Lake Ontario lake effect snow drift - 4 feet overnight is not uncommon.  Obviously not your door if you are actually in the Carolinas, but kudos to the creative resident - making the best of a bad situation.

@biggus22, it is easy to say from my thawed out snow melted patio, but you ought to drag that egg closer to the house, fire it up, and cook something, just to prove that a real man can do it.  Bonus is you'll have something really good to eat.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    It looks so lonely and cold out there!  The Dept of Egg Services (DES) may come by, remove it and take it to a foster home until you get your act together!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • hahaha...I knew this photo would stoke the emotions of the egg community.  For what it's worth, I'm a new egg owner and my first three cooks took place in sub zero conditions.  This has been one of the most brutal winters we've ever had (Chicago) in terms of snow and negative temps, but that didn't keep me from egging.  I did one pork butt at Christmas in negative double digit windchill and another in freezing rain/snow.  My principal problem is not the snow, it's keeping the egg at temperature with the extreme cold outside.  I've run out of fuel and had to add lump on two out of three cooks!  I'll get her going again soon, I promise!