Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Savannah Restaurants

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Heading to Savannah later this year. Any suggestions on restaurants? Keep in mind I'll be lugging a 4 and a 2 year old at the time.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Lady and sons.......Paula Deen. You have to go early in the morning to reserve a spot for later in the day. Long wait, but it's worth it!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    The olde pink house- not the best in town but a classic
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    edited January 2014
    forget the deen places they are more about PR then quality food.  

I have one recommendation only. the crab shak. not joes crab shack, the crab shack. its on the way out to tybee and is one of the best local restaurants you will ever visit. for the kiddies they have an alligator pond out front that you use fishing pools to feed them. it is an awesome place. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Vic's on the River!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Bhens
    Bhens Posts: 45
    Sunday cafe in tybee is really good. But mrs Wilkes is the best in savannah. It was better than lady and sons by a great deal.
  • I didn't like Lady and Sons at all, like Mkline said it's all about PR.  The crab shack is great on Tybee.  I'd just walk the river and see what you like.
    Fort Mill, SC
  • Ill second Mrs Wilkes house, Vic's on the River, and the Old Pink House. Ruan Thai is also awesome! I'd personally stay away from the Lady and Sons as there are much better choices. I've also had good meals at Noble Fare, Sapphire Grill, Elizabeth on 37th. Crystal Parlor is cool. Jazzd Tapas bar. Man there are too many choices!!
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • yzzi
    Wow, lots of options here. I'll have to look them up and make final decisions when I get there I guess. Thanks for the input. I'm sure the crab shack will go great with the kids as they love feeding gators.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Shoot, I disregarded what u said about having small children in tow. Of those I said prob crystal parlor best with kids. Others are closer to "dining," minus mrs Wilkes house..
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Pearls. Excellent seafood and right on the marsh. Avoid Paula's. Overpriced bad food.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Want something a little different and won't kill your budget? Try "Sisters of the Old South". I think it was on Skidawy road or drive. Damn good home cooking!!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    My wife's mother is a Savannah native and I have been going there for the family reunion for 20 years.  Her uncle was the Grand Marshall of the parade a few years back.  I am never one to miss a meal so here goes imho .... 

Johnny Harris - Out of town on Victory Drive - Best BBQ.
    In Town - I like Vinny's for a quick pizza - Cash only - In City market
    Alligator Soul off Broughton Street - Great place but I haven't been there since they changed ownership but I hear it is still good - It is pricey so it may not be the best option unless you can have a nice date night.
    Broughton Street - Leopolds Ice Cream - You must take the kids there - Stratton is a family friend and a movie producer - Did MIB and some others you will have fun and the ice cream is great.
    Pink House - Ate there last year -The service was as bad as the over priced food - Avoid
    Paula's by City Market - Nope
    Pirates House on President Street - Kids would like if they were older but you pay for the atmosphere and the pirates - Wait until they are older, mate.

River -

Cobblestone cafe - I like this for breakfast
    Olympia Cafe - Great Greek food at a reasonable price and the owner is a wonderful guy. Look for the blue striped awning.
    Shrimp Factory - I rate this as OK
    Peanut Shoppe - Go there to buy some really good peanut, etc items - You can sample what you want.
    River Street Sweets - For you candy fix

Tybee

On the way - Uncle Bubbas isn't bad - Paula's brother
    AJ's Dockside - Best in my book for seafood - Like the fried scored flounder
    Marlin Monroes - OK for a quick dinner or lunch
    Stingrays - Ok as well

I am sure that there are many more and others can weigh in but we have been meandering around there for a while.  Good luck

Milton, GA.
  • Mrs Wilkes. Crab shack boils their crabs instead of steaming. Ok. But not great.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Tybee is great. Who.cares about food when on the beach. I love Savannah. Shrimp is super fresh. And you can walk the streets with a drink in your hand.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• flynnbob
    Ooops - How could I forget - On Tybee - The Breakfast Club.  Don't know what it is about this place but it is the best breakfast period!  Small little place so get there early on the weekends if you don't want to wait in line.
    Milton, GA.
  • yzzi
    Thanks @flynnbob, some good advice there it seems.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Drive out to Tybee for AJ's Dockside, best shrimp ever!
    Downtown Savannah try Zunzi's for lunch, great sandwiches, Leopolds Ice Cream for an afternoon snack
    Stay away from The Lady & Son's, over priced and not worth standing in the line.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • The Cotton Exchange on the river was great 12 years ago.  Back when gas was cheap and none of us had real jobs yet, buddies and I would drive from Atlanta to Savannah just to eat there, then drive back.  Not sure if it's still as good.
    Pentwater, MI
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Mrs. Wilkes . Hands down !! One of the greatest lunches I have ever had

Toronto
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    flynnbob said:
    My wife's mother is a Savannah native and I have been going there for the family reunion for 20 years.  Her uncle was the Grand Marshall of the parade a few years back.  I am never one to miss a meal so here goes imho .... 

Alligator Soul off Broughton Street - Great place but I haven't been there since they changed ownership but I hear it is still good - It is pricey so it may not be the best option unless you can have a nice date night.
    Broughton Street - Leopolds Ice Cream - You must take the kids there - Stratton is a family friend and a movie producer - Did MIB and some others you will have fun and the ice cream is great.
    Pink House - Ate there last year -The service was as bad as the over priced food - Avoid
    Pirates House on President Street - Kids would like if they were older but you pay for the atmosphere and the pirates - Wait until they are older, mate.

River -

Olympia Cafe - Great Greek food at a reasonable price and the owner is a wonderful guy. Look for the blue striped awning.
    Peanut Shoppe - Go there to buy some really good peanut, etc items - You can sample what you want.

Tybee

Stingrays - Ok as well

I am sure that there are many more and others can weigh in but we have been meandering around there for a while.  Good luck

Interesting - my step daughter was an assistant manager there for a couple of years about 3-4 yrs ago.  She would hire / train the waitstaff.  After her first full year they had tripled their sales and had several wait staff making over $50 K/yr.  Here boss' worked her to death and after tripling their sales they gave her a $5K increase in pay.  I told her to start looking elsewhere and about 2 years ago she ended up opening a new place in the Cosmpolitan in LV.  I'm glad to hear the Pink House has gone down hill.
  • flynnbob
    brycos said:
    flynnbob said:

River -

Tybee

Stingrays - Ok as well

Interesting - my step daughter was an assistant manager there for a couple of years about 3-4 yrs ago.  She would hire / train the waitstaff.  After her first full year they had tripled their sales and had several wait staff making over $50 K/yr.  Here boss' worked her to death and after tripling their sales they gave her a $5K increase in pay.  I told her to start looking elsewhere and about 2 years ago she ended up opening a new place in the Cosmpolitan in LV.  I'm glad to hear the Pink House has gone down hill.
    I travel North America and eat out a lot.  What a disappointment.  I hate to get ripped off. Your step daughter made a good move - Wish her the best .... I will be in Vegas next week and the Cosmo  is a great place - have stayed there and enjoyed it.
    Milton, GA.
  • Lots of great recommendations here. I'm a native Tybeenian (see forum name) and I think that Sundae Cafe is the best place on the island. With kids, it's probably better for lunch than at dinner. Their fish and grits on Friday for lunch is to die for. AJs is also great - shrimp and grits appetizer is awesome. Crab Shack is fun, probably most entertaining for kids. North Beach Grill has great food also.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    2nd North Beach Grill. Love the Jerk Pork
  • flynnbob
    Lots of great recommendations here. I'm a native Tybeenian (see forum name) and I think that Sundae Cafe is the best place on the island. With kids, it's probably better for lunch than at dinner. Their fish and grits on Friday for lunch is to die for. AJs is also great - shrimp and grits appetizer is awesome. Crab Shack is fun, probably most entertaining for kids. North Beach Grill has great food also.
    @tybeelucy2, Had a little time to look at my posts and I got a disagree on something on the post here.  But ... Good recommendations -  The Sundae Cafe and North Beach Grill - I am not familiar with them (Is the Sundae on Butler by Chu's? may have eaten there) but will look them up this summer. If you are a Tybee native, you must know the Dan Sheehan family on 8th Street? 
    Milton, GA.
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Lady and Sons... if you like southern cooking. It's what they do and they do it well.
  • Babes has the best BBQ IMO about 5 minutes from downtown. Jazzed tapas is great but I don't think the allow anyone in under 18
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I loved Mrs . Wilkes when I was in Savannah . It was one of the most memorable dinning experiences .

Toronto
  • yzzi
    So thanks for all the suggestions you guys made on Savannah restaurants. We had a great time there and enjoyed our place right off Bay Street. We were a bit disappointed that many of the places we wanted to go to were closed, but we had great eats nonetheless. Like I said in my post we did have two young kids with us so that also cut out some options. Some of the places we went to:

Leopolds for ice cream
    The coffee fox for coffee
    Vinnie Van Go Go twice for some freakishly large pieces of pizza
    Vics on the river for a really good Reuben
    The peanut shop
    Zunzi's for some great food. Had the borewore
    We picked up a Pecan pie at the lady and son's to go. It was good but I like mine better.
    The crab shack was on the todo list but it poured and we all got soaked so we skipped and went back to change.
    Mrs Wilkes was also closed while we were there which was a bummer.
    We had reservations for the old pink house but decided to cancel with the kids.

All in all we had a great 4th weekend and enjoyed the fireworks there as well as time with the kids. Wish we could have made a couple more places but we tried some new places.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    edited July 2014

Never has one piece of pizza filled me and went unfinished.

This was interesting as I never had South African sausage before. I liked it, but I was really eyeing up my wife's Godfather sandwich.
    Dunedin, FL