Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

odessa and el paso

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Any restaurant suggestions?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Hmmm......I imagine hole in the wall mexican restuarants would be ideal in them parts.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    El Paso.  Los Bandidos de Carlos & Mickey's.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When henapple is in El Paso, this question WILL get asked:

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    In El Paso we either eat at Rudy's or State Line BBQ.  The Beef ribs at State Line are always excellent.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    If you fancy a change and like Chinese, nip over to Ciudad Juarez to La Shangri-La. Tops.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Troglodyte
    Options
    If you fancy a change and like Chinese, nip over to Ciudad Juarez to La Shangri-La. Tops.
    Yeah, right.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

Yeah, too bad all the trouble in Juarez (along with just about every mexican border town now).

There was a section of Juarez called Pronauf section, that had some really great restaurants BITD! (Back in the day!) When I was stationed at Ft.Bliss, we used to make a great evening of heading for a bar, a restaurant, and the dog track, not necessarily in that order. Cheap, fun entertainment.

Sort of like Nuevo Laredo BITD! Had a great restaurant called The Cadillac Bar (the original one!)

Great mexican food; great drinks; didn't have to worry about getting shot. The only thing you had to worry about, unless you ended up in "boystown", was getting rid of the pesky little kids selling chicle gum. Gone now, forever, I fear!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Troglodyte
    Options
    warwoman said:

unless you ended up in "boystown"

I spent quite a few evenings at Papagayo's.  One night, I was so drunk, I was going to smuggle Marcella de Guadalajara across the border and marry her (and she would have gone), but my buddies persuaded me to go to the "burro exibitione" instead.
    Albuquerque, NM
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    From El Paso, you're only 2-3 short hours from Terlingua.  Go there and get some Chili religion in ya in the ghost town.  Odd place, good chili.  It's quite haul to get there, and it's almost worth it.  What it lacks in comfort, it makes up for in inconvenience.  

The best view of Odessa is in your rear view mirror :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Letz4wheel
    Options
    You will find absolutly nothing you want in Odessa other than to leave :)
    Southern Indiana
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    warwoman said:

Yeah, too bad all the trouble in Juarez (along with just about every mexican border town now).

There was a section of Juarez called Pronauf section, that had some really great restaurants BITD! (Back in the day!) When I was stationed at Ft.Bliss, we used to make a great evening of heading for a bar, a restaurant, and the dog track, not necessarily in that order. Cheap, fun entertainment.

Sort of like Nuevo Laredo BITD! Had a great restaurant called The Cadillac Bar (the original one!)

Great mexican food; great drinks; didn't have to worry about getting shot. The only thing you had to worry about, unless you ended up in "boystown", was getting rid of the pesky little kids selling chicle gum. Gone now, forever, I fear!

The only thing that's safe traveling through Juarez at night these days is a bullet.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I felt safer in Sierra Leone than I would in Juarez.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:
    I felt safer in Sierra Leone than I would in Juarez.
    That's because you just lose fingers and toes. Sometimes hands. Make sure they take the non-dominant one, unless you are ambidextrous. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

I've never been there, but my parents used to visit an aunt in El Paso every year and the highlight of their trip was dinner at the Cattleman's Steakhouse in nearby Fabens, TX. 

My impression is that the food is very good but it is as much about the experience as the food - because it is hard to imagine why so many people drive so far out of town.  The site does seem to be of some historical interest.  

http://www.cattlemansranch.com/index.htm

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• warwoman
    Options
    warwoman said:

unless you ended up in "boystown"

I spent quite a few evenings at Papagayo's.  One night, I was so drunk, I was going to smuggle Marcella de Guadalajara across the border and marry her (and she would have gone), but my buddies persuaded me to go to the "burro exibitione" instead.

Damn....You knew Marcella, too? She told me about this crazy gringo that wanted to marry her and smuggle her across the border, but once she got him alone in the back room, decided she would hold out for a "Muy Grande", if you get my drift!

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    You all are basically rewriting this song.

http://youtu.be/tM-QsTqPpNE
  • warwoman
    Options
    You all are basically rewriting this song. http://youtu.be/tM-QsTqPpNE

Ahhhh......memories...memories!

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Henapple, the engineer that covers the midland-Odessa area said his favorite place is Acapulcos located in downtown Odessa...also serves steaks too. Will see you in Salado
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx