Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks

Options
Hi Folks,
I just wanted to say thanks. I've only been here a short time and I can already see that you're a friendly bunch.
I've seen multiple repeat questions from "noobs" and the responses are always friendly.
I signed on to another BGE forum and asked the same guru question I asked here and was ignored completely.
I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

That's all. Thanks.
Dead smack in the middle of NH

Comments

• EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    (In my singing voice) That's what friends are for! :)
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    insaneh said:
    Hi Folks,
    I just wanted to say thanks. I've only been here a short time and I can already see that you're a friendly bunch.
    I've seen multiple repeat questions from "noobs" and the responses are always friendly.
    I signed on to another BGE forum and asked the same guru question I asked here and was ignored completely.
    I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

That's all. Thanks.

Very patient, mellow "family".....well, for the most part, anyway!!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that about the other forum.

Your name fits the mood here. You'll do well.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Occasionally, the natives here get restless, but overall a solid bunch of folks. I've learned a lot here and continue to do so. Keep cookin! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Use the search function; they're are plenty if thank you and I'm new here threads to post on.

Haha I had to.

Don't get me wrong I think the search function is great, and probably underused, but I don't think being rude about it helps anything. I haven't seen people rude about it here, but other forums that response happens a lot.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Welcome! In what corner of the world are you?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Welcome! In what corner of the world are you?
    Way up here in NH.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Use the search function; they're are plenty if thank you and I'm new here threads to post on. Haha I had to. Don't get me wrong I think the search function is great, and probably underused, but I don't think being rude about it helps anything. I haven't seen people rude about it here, but other forums that response happens a lot.
    One possible reason that folks don't respond with "use the search function" as much on here is that it can be quite DYSfunctional! :) You can often get better results by searching through Google with keywords like "eggheadforum" and whatever search terms you are looking for. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  WRT posting questions, you will often get several differing responses/approaches any one of which will work.  So eggsperiment and have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    w.r.t. your comment re not getting any help on the other forum ... 
    I frequent, and 'have friends', on both forums.  I thought, in case you're not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the other forum's technical platform, I would make the effort to help you understand why, call it 'excuses' if you like. 

The other forum has three views: flat, threaded and classic.  I'm going to touch on flat and classic only.

In flat, all comments are linear and visible without further clicking, kind of similar to this forum but looks cluttered with grids, like this:

In classic view, the comments are in a tree structure and you can see whose post or comment one is responding to. Hence there's no need to use @someone to get his attention as in this forum. Unfortunately, you can only read the contents of each post one at a time.  It looks like this:

I believe most people view the other forum in 'classic' mode ... when life gets busy it's cumbersome to click and view each comment, unless it's posted by someone they know/like (I will get flamed for this!).

As you can see from the above classic view screen shot, the original poster "Excited Bravesfan in Mpls" got several helpful responses and was thanking everyone.... your questions/comments then appeared buried further down in the hierarchy. Had you asked your question in a new post, as you did in this forum, instead of as a comment on someone else' thank-you note, your questions may have been answered.

Another thing ... the other forum is not as active as this.  I would speculate that this forum has more posts in one peak hour than the other forum in a day.

Another example ... I would probably get little attention by replying to you about the other forum 'discreetly' here, as opposed to posting it as a new discussion.

canuckland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    w.r.t. your comment re not getting any help on the other forum ... 
    I frequent, and 'have friends', on both forums.  I thought, in case you're not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the other forum's technical platform, I would make the effort to help you understand why, call it 'excuses' if you like. 

The other forum has three views: flat, threaded and classic.  I'm going to touch on flat and classic only.

In flat, all comments are linear and visible without further clicking, kind of similar to this forum but looks cluttered with grids, like this:

In classic view, the comments are in a tree structure and you can see whose post or comment one is responding to. Hence there's no need to use @someone to get his attention as in this forum. Unfortunately, you can only read the contents of each post one at a time.  It looks like this:

I believe most people view the other forum in 'classic' mode ... when life gets busy it's cumbersome to click and view each comment, unless it's posted by someone they know/like (I will get flamed for this!).

As you can see from the above classic view screen shot, the original poster "Excited Bravesfan in Mpls" got several helpful responses and was thanking everyone.... your questions/comments then appeared buried further down in the hierarchy. Had you asked your question in a new post, as you did in this forum, instead of as a comment on someone else' thank-you note, your questions may have been answered.

Another thing ... the other forum is not as active as this.  I would speculate that this forum has more posts in one peak hour than the other forum in a day.

Another example ... I would probably get little attention by replying to you about the other forum 'discreetly' here, as opposed to posting it as a new discussion.

"cumbersome" and "cluttered" are the 2 key words I pull from your comment. This precisely explains why I spend time on this forum and not that one.
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Canugghead
    Well, that might explain it. Thanks for the explanation.
    These are the first forums I've been on with that format.
    Very cool avatar btw.

• Canugghead
    Options
    "cumbersome" and "cluttered" are the 2 key words I pull from your comment. This precisely explains why I spend time on this forum and not that one.
    to each his own...

"cluttered" ... folks avoid the so-called clutter by not using the 'flat' view there.  the clutter is in the grid layout, not the fact that all contents are visible linearly (same as in this forum)

"cumbersome to click each comment" ... one may contend it's a bonus not having to filter through all post contents to find useful/relevant comments ... think Mangrates!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @insaneh ... I'll do a 3 for 1 trade with you if we trade the land as well  :D
    canuckland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @canugghead, It is neither cumbersome or cluttered to look at that page threaded or flat. It is neither cumbersome or cluttered to have to click on each comment. I have no issue with those.

My issue is with the layout and coloring of that site. In flat or threaded view, margins on or off, it's ugly. Plus the red on gray strains my eyes.

• Canugghead
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, fair comments about the layout and coloUring, guess I got used to it when it was the only forum.

btw, always enjoy your entertaining photos and videos!
    canuckland
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    edited January 2014
    Options
    videos?! There's videos too?!!!! I'm not sure my waist can take that. The pics in here are bad enough