Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top cap broken :(

This morning my top cap fell on the floor after taking of my cover, it came along with it ... Can i also shut down my egg while burning with the daisy wheel? Or should i buy a new top cap? Anyone know where to order? Thanks !
New to the Eggworld from Antwerpen - Belgium

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Maybe you can epoxy it back together with JB Weld? You can use the daisy wheel but it may start to rust. You could also order one from your local dealer or buy a stainless chimney cap from ceramic grill works or on eBay.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Contact @stlcharcoal here at the forum, he'll hook you up with the stainless cap. I got mine for Christmas and really like it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Azzardi
    Azzardi Posts: 56
    edited January 2014
    Does it also fit a small egg ?

edit; i looked it up and it starts from medium eggs and larger ...
  • Yes you can shut it done with the daisy wheel. That's all I have used for 14 years on this egg. Could not even tell you what happened to the top that came with it. When I bought this egg new I bought the daisy wheel at the same time and tossed out the ceramic cap. The daisy wheel has never left the top of the egg
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Glue it back together. You are now officially in the club.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And that's what happens when you use a cover. I do believe I read a warning from somebody about that just yesterday or the day before. Sucks that it happened to you. I've broken one before and for about 6 months what I would do is cover the top hole with a sheet of extra thick aluminum foil and then put the daisy wheel on it. I tried just using the daisy wheel, but for me, the coals wouldn't go out. It would still be around 100-150 the next day and would either slowly go out by itself or burn up all the lump. Guess my daisy wheel wasn't airtight. The foil trick worked until I finally bought a new ceramic cap. Funny thing is I still have the pieces from my broken one sitting right next to a bottle of JB weld in the shed. Just sitting there till I get a "roundtuit". Do they sell "roundtuits" on Amazon? Free shipping with Prime?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I've never used my cap to shut any of my eggs down. The daisy wheel works fine. The daisy wheel will not come off the the cover either.
  • Gravity - a love/hate relationship.
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited January 2014
    Same exact thing happened to me about a month ago.  Big rain, then freeze.  The cover froze to the cap until the cover was half off, then it releases and broke on the deck.  It's now glued together with a piece of duct tape for insurance.  Not pretty, but still functional.  Snuffs the fire out like normal.  I still believe in using a cover though.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Do you have a gasket around the top vent hole?  I never had the vent gasket on my large but when I bought my XL it came with it so I figured I give it a shot.  The ceramic cap fits so tight with that gasket in there that I can't imagine you'd be able to pull it off with a cover.  It takes quite an effort to take the ceramic cover off even when you're trying.  If you buy another ceramic cap, I'd suggest putting a strip of the gasket material around the upper vent to tighten the fit.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Griffin said:
    And that's what happens when you use a cover. I do believe I read a warning from somebody about that just yesterday or the day before. ...
    I warned people about this at least once in each forum.
    canuckland
  • Azzardi
    Well i learned the hard way :) I ll glue it together tomorrow as it are only 4 big pieces and a few smaller ones. Can always order a new one afterwards (36 euros).
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do not have daisy wheels and only use the caps.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    I picked up a tip from someone here in the forum.  When you get your cap replaced/fixed, use it to snuff out the fire.  When you know its completely out, take off the cap, store it in the egg and then put the cover on.  That way it won't get stuck in the cover when you lift it off.  That's what I do.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • until you get some sort of replacement you can use tin foil under the DFMT the foil will seal it for shutting down the fire 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Azzardi
    Ok guys glad to know i wasnt the first one to have this problem :D
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited January 2014
    Of course the other solution which prevents future breakage is to but a Smokeware  cap which replaced both the ceramic cap and the rusting old daisy wheel! I can't ever get a link to post here @#$%^&* - anyway go to smokeware.net

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mines been glued twice. Looks like crap but works like a charm
  • here is the link http://smokeware.net

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    JB Weld to fix the busted one, use the daisy wheel in the meantime. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    RRP said:
    Of course the other solution which prevents future breakage is to but a Smokeware  cap which replaced both the ceramic cap and the rusting old daisy wheel! I can't ever get a link to post here @#$%^&* - anyway go to smokeware.net

That's right; then you're buying from the party who manufactures it.  Neat guy.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    +1 on the SmokeWare stainess steel cap.  I just got one and really like it.  The cap fitts perfectly on my large BGE.  I also like that the daisy wheel doesn't slide around and mess up my adjustments.  So, I just keep the Smokeware cap on permanently.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• +1 on the smokeWare stainless cap I got 2 one for each Egg for Christmas  and I love them 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Azzardi
    I have a small egg, ... no smokeware stainless cap for me as it starts from medium eggs and larger ..
  • I've used the daisywheel for years to shut the egg down with no issues but recently upgraded to the smokeware stainless cap. Never going back to anything else. It's awesome.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Changed my gasket, looked like rain so I put on the cover while the glue set (probably didn't need to, but I figured "might as well")  

Took the cover off this morning and the rain cap with it…. Crash.
    Broke in 3 pieces, so should be easy to glue back together with JB Weld.
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Azzardi said:
    I have a small egg, ... no smokeware stainless cap for me as it starts from medium eggs and larger ..
    They have an adapter for the small
    http://smokeware.com/blogs/smokeware-journal/59846531-chimney-cap-now-fits-on-small-mini-max-big-green-eggs
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I think a new one is around $25
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Gorilla Glue for mine.......
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Which Gorilla glue did you use?  I was thinking of using the GORILLA SUPER GLUE GEL