Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib-eye Burgers

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum

As you may recall, my wife brought home these the other day:
@skiddymarker suggested I make rib-eye burgers and everything about that just sounded right.  After all, I just bought myself a grinder for a stocking stuffer.   :D  
Seasoned the meat with onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.  1/2 teaspoon each
Yielded two 8oz patties and five 4oz patties
I tossed the formed patties into the freezer while I got both my eggs up to temp.  450 on the large with the baking steel and 225 on the small.  Both elevated.  Hickory wood on the small
The five 4oz patties are being cooked on the flat top while the two 8oz are starting off on the small.
I removed the big boys from the small when they hit 110 internal
I made a small mistake and overshot my temp cause I thought it would be a cool shot with the cheese fully melted on the flat top.  Next time (there most definitely be a next time), I will put my cheese on immediately after I flip and pull when it's melted.  This burger was still juicy and was the best tasting burger i've made...so no harm, no foul.
Sliders for the kids   ;)
imageThe big boy...with some loaded fries the wifey madeimage
As mentioned...juicy as hell!    B-)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Very nice. Great result with the steaks.
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    What. A. Beautiful story
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Well played sir!
  • What is the little black box hanging on your egg?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• cazzy
    What is the little black box hanging on your egg?
    That's a dome light...it's by Weber.

• Great cook!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Daymn.  Love the pic with the spots on both Eggs.  My cook zone is functional, but totally lacks cool.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Not bad...I guess
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Do those lights require any modification to work on the Egg or is that just attached standard issue?
    Nice looking cook by the way. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cazzy
    I had to flex the metal to get them to attach. Other than that...pretty straight forward.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great looking burgers Cazzy, excellent cook. Told you rib makes a juicy full of flavour burger. 
    Here on the west coast of Canuckistan, our rib roasts come "with the cap removed" I asked the butcher where does the cap go? He advised customers don't like all that fat, so they remove and make ground beef. The mix is about 80/20 so it is perfect, we have become spoiled!
    Last summer picked up some select rib eyes for <$3 a pound, no idea how they would be as steaks but they were excellent as burgers. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy

Daymn.  Love the pic with the spots on both Eggs.  My cook zone is functional, but totally lacks cool.

Yeah. Mine is pretty cool when it's organized...I did a lil reorganizing before my cook today. The lights help...makes it much easier when checking color at night.
  • cazzy

Great looking burgers Cazzy, excellent cook. Told you rib makes a juicy full of flavour burger. 

Here on the west coast of Canuckistan, our rib roasts come "with the cap removed" I asked the butcher where does the cap go? He advised customers don't like all that fat, so they remove and make ground beef. The mix is about 80/20 so it is perfect, we have become spoiled!
    Last summer picked up some select rib eyes for <$3 a pound, no idea how they would be as steaks but they were excellent as burgers. 
    Thanks again skiddy! Perfect suggestion and I'll be on the look out for a rib roast.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I can't say I'd think of grinding ribeye but considering the story behind yours it looks like a fine use and some tasty looking burgers!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • drummerben
    drummerben Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    Really nice photos. Is that a fried egg dripping down on the first photo? Looks delicious!

LBGE Atlanta, GA  Ramblin' Wreck

• cazzy

Really nice photos. Is that a fried egg dripping down on the first photo? Looks delicious!

Thanks! Sure is! :D
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sweet bokeh! Especially the handheld bite shot.
  • I just licked the screen.  The first picture says it all.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy

I just licked the screen.  The first picture says it all.

Lol thanks! I decided for no suspense and just went straight to the money shot! :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Home run!!! Beautiful burgers. 

What lens did you shoot that first burger pic with? The last pic with the eggs lit up in the dark may end up as my monitor's wallpaper :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:

What lens did you shoot that first burger pic with? The last pic with the eggs lit up in the dark may end up as my monitor's wallpaper :)
    I hope is was a prime lens and not the 14-24mm. If the latter, imma be real jelly and might have to break down on that plus an adapter for my Canon, instead of the 16-35mm.
  • cazzy
    caliking said:

Thanks cali

All pics were taken with a Nikon 50mm 1.8g

Lol...have at it. Haha
  • Eggcelsior
    Whew! I've got that one covered.
  • cazzy

caliking said:

I hope is was a prime lens and not the 14-24mm. If the latter, imma be real jelly and might have to break down on that plus an adapter for my Canon, instead of the 16-35mm.
    Lol...no it wasn't my 14-24. I love my 14-24 but it's definitely a special purpose lens.

I think I'm going to buy a 60 or 105 micro lens this week. Decisions, decisions...

• cazzy

Whew! I've got that one covered.

Yep...that is definitely my go to lens and one of the best bang for your buck lenses out there. I wasn't feeling the cost to benefit of the 1.4 so opted for the 1.8.
  • Dude, those look like money burgers. I love the baking sgeel as a flat top on the egg. May have to just make burgers for tge game this next weekend.

I reaaaaally want to try and do loaded hash browns on the steel.
  • Eggcelsior
    What are you shooting with it? Better lighting position with the longer lens. Won't scare the subject as easily, good portrait focal length.
  • cazzy

What are you shooting with it? Better lighting position with the longer lens. Won't scare the subject as easily, good portrait focal length.

I'm 99% certain I'm going with the 105mm. I do like the shorter focal length with the 60mm...especially if I take food photos at a fancy restaurant. The problem with the 60mm though is that you can definitely get in your light when you're trying to get really close shots.

Either lens will be primarily for food photography.
  • Eggcelsior
    Food photography?! What a Loser! You must frequently one of those dumb forums my wife complains about. ;)