Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings and Pizza - Double success - Pics

Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
My son visited today, decided we would spend the afternoon egging something good to eat.  Started with wings.  I prepped them this morning, dusted with a 50/50 mix of corn starch and Dizzy Pig Raging River.  Put the on the egg at about 350 indirect for an hour and 10 minutes, turning them halfway through.  Sauced them with Anchor Bar medium wing sauce, then back on for another 15 minutes to crisp up.  They were juicy and tasty.  Really nice that the rub came through as well as the wing sauce.  

My temps were a concern though. my grate temp measured with newly calibrated Maverick probe was 350.  Dome temp (also freshly calibrated) was 450! and this was when the cover had been closed for 30 minutes.  Never saw a 100 degree difference like this.

Anyways, on to the Pizza.  When I pulled the wings, I opened the vents, and put the pizza stone raised up with my 3 flower pots.  I used a rectangular Williams Sonoma stone rather than the std BGE stone in that it has a little less mass, and might get to temp faster.  Dome settled about 650, when the stone got to 480 we threw the first pizza on.  A note here, I shot the stone with my IR thermometer, and measured 482, but once I opened the file, I found I had maxed the camera, it may have been a little bit higher.  I will use a different camera next time (I have a couple of demo units).  

Speaking of the pizza, the crust was made with the Artisan Bread in 5 pizza crust recipe, and was the best crust I have ever made. Note the nice round shape of the pizza, my son handled that task, has been making pizzas weekly on his baking steel, and really has the touch!   Mixed the dough last night, and it rested in the fridge until cooking time today.  Crust was nice and tender, appropriately crisped and brown on the bottom - really close to true NY style crust.  I do the pizza assembly and the entire cook on parchment paper, don't remove it until ready to serve.  My best Pizza yet on the egg.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Very nice cook.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• marcfed
    marcfed Posts: 47
    @cookinbob...what is the added benefit of the flower pots? I am starting to see more people do this. Thanks
  • I would say the flower pots raise the pizza closer to the dome so the top of pizza cooks better and the same as the bottom
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Looks really great!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Nice looking pizza

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I'm doing my first pizza tonight, just gonna do a simple pepperoni and mushroom. I have a pizza stone but no peel. Would it be ok to just make the pizza on the stone and then put it in the egg, or does the stone have to preheat first?
  • Cookinbob
    I'm late to the thread, but raise the stone, preheat it, and parchment paper all the way. Good luck!
    Rochester, NY
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Very nice looking food!

Are all flower pots created equal? What size flower pot for a LBGE cooking pizza?
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Nice combo Cookinbob, I always use parchment paper, always pre heat the za stone. A little cornmeal on the parchment. After about 4-5 minutes of being on the stone, I pull the parchment and continue cooking, rotating the za every once in a while. 
    Bet you won't be ordering in any more za huh! The egg does a fantastic job.
    Good Luck

Large, small, and a mini
  • Cookinbob
    chashans said:
    Very nice looking food!

Are all flower pots created equal? What size flower pot for a LBGE cooking pizza?

These are about 4" high, I use with the stone but also for a raised grate. I would look for 3-4" high. I have used these many times over 8 months, never a problem, none have broken. Be sure they are terra cotta
    Rochester, NY
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2014
    You did a...ight kid ....you did aight.

No parchment camp, corn meal only camp here.
    Seattle, WA
  • Cookinbob said:
    My temps were a concern though. my grate temp measured with newly calibrated Maverick probe was 350.  Dome temp (also freshly calibrated) was 450! and this was when the cover had been closed for 30 minutes.  Never saw a 100 degree difference like this.
    That might actually be normal. I haven't had my egg long, but I built a firebrick oven and they kinda work that way where the dome will actually be hotter. If you had the plate setter in place, it probably shielded the grate from the direct heat below (obviously), and offset the rising heat to the openings on the side, which allowed it to rise up to the dome, making it hotter than the grate. 

In a firebrick oven, once the stones on the roof of the dome come up to temp (about 900), they throw heat back down to the oven floor and help keep everything hot, even after the first dies down to embers. I would imagine the dome of the egg works similar, though not nearly as hot. Firebrick ovens get well over 900 degrees. When I cook my pizzas in my firebrick oven, I cook them at about 750, directly on the firebrick floor, and they're done in about 90 seconds. Now that's some good pizza. 

ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • awm
    I did 2 and left the parchment on the whole time I thought they turned out really good for my first try at it.
  • Cookinbob
    Those pies look great!  You have to be pleased!  What is between the plate setter and the stone?

I agree, there is no down side to leaving the parchment in place.  Next time, try skipping the trim.  The paper may burn at the corners, but it does not affect the cook.  It also gives you something to safely grab if you decide to rotate the pie, or when sliding the peel under.
    Rochester, NY
  • awm
    Those are bge feet between the PS and stone. I just got a small egg and they came with it.
  • Cookinbob
    Nice. A small is in my future. XL only now
    Rochester, NY