Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Have 2 butts on the Egg but temp is falling fast

Options
NJ_BBQ
NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 8# butts on but the dome temp has been falling from 350 down to 275 and dropping. The butt IT is now 175. When I filled the lump it was mostly small bits. Should I light new lump in a chimney or look to finish on the gasser or oven?
Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Are you out of fuel?  Did you just put them on, have they been on a while.  More info bud.  Can't help if we don't know the situation. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What temp? Did the fire go out?
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    take a coat hanger or something similar and poke some holes through the fire grate from bottom vent to allow better airflow.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What size Egg?  What are your vent settings?  How much lump?  What temp was the Egg when you put them on?  What's the temp now? How long have they been on?  What's the internal meat temp?
    Options
    Here's what I like about this forum.  Within 2 minutes of the original post, there are 4 responses all at 2:12 PM.
    Options
    Using Royal Oak. Butts have been on 5 hours I just used the ash tool from underneath to clear any clogged vent holes. The bottom vent is now wide open and I have the dw almost closed to retain the heat I have.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Do you have a way of safely checking the lump?  Keep an eye on it.  If you still have lump and burning embers, 275* can become 450* pretty quick with the bottom vent wide open. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    On a brisket cook, my temp started to drop and it was because the charcoal all burned up - nothing left but ash.  You may need to pull the meat off and reload with new lump.  Keep us updated.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Closing the DW also shuts off air flow.  I'd close the bottom vent to about 1/2 inch, open the DW so about half the holes are open, and keep a close watch.  As @Scottborasjr said, once you get going you can overshoot pretty quickly. 
    Options
    Dome Temp down to 250. I'm warming the gasser to keep the meat warm while I unwind the drill, pan, PS, and add hot lump from a chimney. Thanks for the quick replies!
  • NJ_BBQ
    Options
    The lump was completely used, nothing but ash. Everything is back on the egg. Thought about letting it finish on the gasser but realized there's no wow factor when guests see that - egg is much cooler. Thanks again.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Glad your back up and running.  Don't be afraid to bump the temp up to 350* or so if you need to make up for lost time.  Good luck and enjoy dinner. 
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    I'm not surprised. My last brisket I filled to the brim with RO but it was all tiny pieces. 6 hours later it was all gone.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the way. FWIW I have used the RO and, to me, it tends to burn fast. I have many long cooks of 12-16 hours each and leaned to fill my large to almost the top of the fire ring when using RO. Others may have a different experience. I now look for a dense and heavy lump. More weight, more energy.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    I really like RO.  It lights fast, cooks very hot, and decent flavor.  If I fill her way up, no issue with it going out.

However, some of the denser (and harder to light) lumps will last longer and have a more neutral flavor.