Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mesquite Lump

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
Anyone ever use Lazzari Mesquite Lump Charcoal?
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• Givengold3
    Options
    Burns hot and fast.  Check out the Naked Whiz Charcoal database.  I used Lazzari for a couple of years on my Weber.  Finally gave up and went back to briquets.  That was pre-egg.
    Concord, CA
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Never used the lump...but I know Mesquite is a pretty strong flavor when I use chips or chunks. I love the flavor but SWMBO doesn't care for it that much.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For steaks and burgers we like a touch of mesquite. I've only used one bag of Lazzari (difficult to find for me) and it was very good. I use Nature's Mesquite pretty regularly, local Wally World stocks it. I mix about 1/3 mesquite to 2/3 regular lump, no smoke wood and the natural mesquite flavour from the lump is just fine. Sometimes less is more. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hotch
    Options

I saw it at Restaurant Depot, while exploring the store, for a great price. I figure if it is what a restaurant cooks with I have already had food cooked with it.

I think @RRP said he has used it before.

I may just try a bag.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I have only tried one bag of Lazzari and while it burned well and didn't have a heavy mesquite flavor, it sparked too much for me when lighting it. If I had my egg on concrete or stone I wouldn't care, but I egg on a deck so it made me a bit uncomfortable. The price I got was good, about $19 for 40#.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Hotch
    Options
    I have about 15-20 bags of WW left from a pallet buy. It to sparks a lot when I use the MAPP gas to light. So not a big deal for me.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Hotch said:

I saw it at Restaurant Depot, while exploring the store, for a great price. I figure if it is what a restaurant cooks with I have already had food cooked with it.

I may just try a bag.

No. It wasn't me as I can't stand mesquite for some reason and the smell makes me gag! Seriously!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hotch
    Options
    RRP said:
    Hotch said:

I may just try a bag.

No. It wasn't me as I can't stand mesquite for some reason and the smell makes me gag! Seriously!

My mistake. I apologize. I did a search and It was @thailandjohn that posted he had used it.

I just wondering if it really adds that much mesquite to the cook since is lump charcoal and not smoking wood.

For $15.00 for 40lb's I will try it.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I keep it around, just tossing a couple of chunks in with beef cooks.  I like it real well that way.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Steve619
    Options
    First post.... While visiting my son in N.Cal. we went to the Lazzarri distribution center. The folks there were super nice. I bought both Lazzarri hardwood and mesquite. I like both quite a lot, HUGE chunks included in both bags. The mesquite is quite a bit more "sparky" with mapp gas, but lights quickly and easily with rutland squares or paper towel drizzled with oil. I do not find the mesquite charcoal anything like mesquite smoking wood. I find the mesquite almost indistinguishable from the hardwood as to taste in meats. The Lazzarri prices are AWESOME.  No affiliation whatsowever, just a fan. Hope this helps.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I used mesquite lump, best of the west, sparks alot, but lights much faster than dense lump too.

No mesquite taste.
  • bakoque
    bakoque Posts: 50
    Options
    Use it all the time. Good price, heat, and burn time. Agree it doesn't add mesquite flavor.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks, all. I will try a 40# bag and check it out.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX