Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try at Ribs!

I am an Egghead hatchling - just got my large BGE before Thanksgiving.  I've been wanting to smoke some ribs since day 1, but am just getting there.  We've cooked burgers, steaks, fajitas, brisket and chili (dutch oven on the BGE).  I picked two racks of Pork Loin Back Ribs from Kroger today on sale.  I plan to sprinkle them down with mustard and Gordon's Grub Rub and let them sit until tomorrow morning.  Then, I'll try the 3-2-1 method.  I am going to use some apple wood chips for smoke.  I'll use apple juice in the middle stage and Bone Suckin Sauce at the end.  I'll post pictures along the way.  If I am headed off track, fee free to jump in and give me a quick course correction!
Victor Chelf
Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

Comments

• You will be fully satisfied! I find that each of those is too long. I usually do more like a little over 2, 1-1/2 and 45 minutes.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited January 2014
    I'm sure your plan will work, but I swear the next time I try ribs I'm going to give cazzy's method a shot:

I challenge anyone to look at those photos and not try and keep it simple with ribs.  Food for thought.  

Just note that cazzy's are STL style, so YMMV.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Jump in and give them a go! I'm in the simple(ton) camp, so I just rub and throw the spares on without bothering to foil or mop etc. But I found my way after trying many variations of the 3-2-1 method. 

Good luck! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    OK. The ribs were rinsed off and the I pulled the skin off the backs. Pulling the skin off with a paper towel was a nice tip because they were slippery. I slathered the backs of the ribs (boney side) with yellow mustard and then applied a thick coat of Gordon's Grub Rub. I flipped them over and repeated the process. I placed a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and sat the ribs on the foil and warpped them tightly. The ribs are resting in the fridge until tomorrow morning. Just in time to start watching the game! As a Gator, I am torn for who to root for!
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE

• TEH68
    TEH68 Posts: 62
    Pull for the conference. It's killing me too. But, the ribs will turn out wonderfully. My experience has been they will vook quicker than you think.
    Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    May be too late for the cook but there are two good ways to tell when ribs are finished-if a full rack, the bend test-pick up one end of the rack  and if the rack bends around 90* or so you are there.  Others use the toothpick test-insert into the thickest meat on the rack and no resistance in or out and finished.  You will likely also see good meat pull-back from the bones.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • it looks to me you'v got this under control ,I like to do the 3 2 1 method as well but the 3 2 1 can vary depending on the rack of ribs I have had some racks that were fall off the bone doing the 3 2 1 method and others that could have used more time what I like to do is give the racks the bend test and the tooth pick test if the tooth pick inserts easily your good that being said the 3 2 1 method is just a guid line 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I don't foil mine either, did in the past but they come out great in the Egg without it.

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • vchelf said:
    OK. The ribs were rinsed off and the I pulled the skin off the backs. Pulling the skin off with a paper towel was a nice tip because they were slippery. I slathered the backs of the ribs (boney side) with yellow mustard and then applied a thick coat of Gordon's Grub Rub. I flipped them over and repeated the process. I placed a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and sat the ribs on the foil and warpped them tightly. The ribs are resting in the fridge until tomorrow morning. Just in time to start watching the game! As a Gator, I am torn for who to root for!

I used to use the paper towel method, now I just grab a butter knife to get under the membrane a half inch, and dig my finger in the rest of the way (center of rack) then pull. Takes literally 10 seconds per rack. Try it.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Nice cook !!

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana

• vchelf
    The first rib cook was a success.  I learned a lot.  The ribs fell off the bone - maybe too much.  Very moist.  Very tender.  Very tasty. However, the comment from my son was that it was the best thing he hes eaten off the BGE.  I think a rib rack would be a good idea.  The parts of the ribs that hung over the plate setter were burned on the bottom.  The Bone Suckin' Sauce was delicious.  I melded several different methods and came up with my own.  I'll pull it together and add it to this post in a bit.  For now, I need to get back to watching the Baylor basketball game with my son and wife.  Photos are attached to make the rib cook official.  This Big Green Egg is fun!

Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE

• Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    It is fun. Nice cook.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • Welcome. Great looking first rib cook. I too have trouble with the 3 2 1 method resulting in too tender ribs. Ribs are inconsistent for me but my biggest success came from following Aaron Franklins method that you can find in utube. Barbecue with Franklin. More often than not I think mine are good not great. The last ones I did I used Cazzy's method and if I would not have had to pull them earlier than I should have to make it to my destination by kickoff they would have been pretty fantastic. Going to give that a try again when I don't have time constraints
  • vchelf
    Here was my rib recipe:

Victor Chelf's Ribs on the Big Green Egg

INGREDIENTS

2 slabs of Pork Loin Back Ribs
    1 Bottle Yellow Mustard
    1 cup of Gordon's Grub Rub
    1 cup honey
    Brown sugar
    2 cups apple juice
    2 cups Bone Suckin Sauce

THE DAY BEFORE

Remove the membrane by carefully sliding the tip of a butter knife between the membrane and a bone near the end of the rack of ribs. Rock the implement back and forth gently to loosen the membrane until you have enough space to slide your finger under it. Using a paper towel, pull up the membrane and slowly peel the membrane off.

Rinse the ribs in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.

Place the ribs on a large cookie sheet.  Cover the ribs with mustard and then the Gordon's Grub Rub - pressing the rub into the mustard.  Completely cover the ribs with rub on both sides. Cover the ribs and cookie sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.  

GETTING READY TO COOK

Soak a big handful of hickory wood chips for at least 1 hour.  Allow the ribs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.

Set up the BGE up for indirect cooking with a plate setter (legs up) at 225°F. I cover the plate setter surface with foil to keep it a bit cleaner.

TIME TO COOK

Cook the ribs for around three hours. If the ribs hang over the plate setter, cut the rack of ribs in half.  Otherwise, then ends may burn.  

For each rack of ribs - pull some heavy duty aluminum foil - enough to create a double lined packet for the ribs.  Be careful not to poke a hole in the foil with the rib bones. Put the ribs in the aluminum foil packet with about one cup of apple juice in the bottom. Brush the meaty side of the ribs with honey.  Sprinkle brown sugar on the honey and press it into the ribs with a basting brush.  Fold up the ends of the foil and seal the foil to make a snug envelope.  Continue cooking for about one hour.  Test the ribs by inserting a toothpick to determine whether they are tender.

Set up the grill for direct cooking (remove the plate setter.)  Get the temp up to 400 and transfer the ribs back to the grill. Brush the ribs with BBQ Sauce. Heat for 10 minutes.  Flip the ribs over and brush with more sauce. Heat another 10 minutes. 

TIME TO EAT

Cut in to pieces and serve.  Makes enough for 4 (3 if you eat a lot).
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Step 4 - show all the eggheads pics of the cook!!! :D:D Or you know it didn't happen!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Place some hdaf under the exposed ends...If u your kids are happy what else matters. Get use to hearing ...that the best thing you've cooked on the egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • vchelf
    Step 4 - show all the eggheads pics of the cook!!! :D:D Or you know it didn't happen!!!
    @Mattman3939 - Pics were posted earlier in this thread.  I didn't see a way to post the photos as larger images.  Only the thumbnails via the Attach a File link.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    My bad. I just breezed right past them. Everything looks most excellent.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • vchelf
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE