Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Romaine

Options
Someone posted about grilled romaine, any advice lookin for a different side

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I slice in half and sprinkle with olive oil, s/p and Grill direct 400 or so about 60-90 secs per side. Then add Parmesan cheese and dressing once off the grill. I really like it with champagne vinaigrette.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Grilled romaine can be very simple or ultra complex - depends on your required result and skill. 
    Simplest is to simply split the heads in half lengthwise, drizzle or spritz with EVOO and your favorite seasoning (could be just salt and pepper) High heat to get some grill marks. I suggest doing cut side down first, this lets you add some Romano or Parma cheese to the already grilled side as you grill the non-cut side. 

@Paqman is the expert.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Thanks sounds simple enough, gonna try it tomorrow.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    now I don't like wilted lettuce. If I toast a sandwich with lettuce, the lettuce always goes on after the sandwich comes out of the oven.  I'd like to try this but Im not sure what to expect.  does it taste like warm, wilted lettuce?

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    shucker, as one Pirate to another, I'm with you! One of those things I've never even been tempted to try.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @shucker and @Carolina Q I was just like you until I finally decided to try grilled romaine after seeing it on a few TV shows and seeing someone here posting about it. The grilling process brings out the sweetness of the romaine. It is so much better that way...

I cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise and sprinkle a little olive oil and coarse salt. It is important to go lightly with the olive oil to avoid flare ups. I then grill the romaines @ 400-450F (direct) until they have nice grill marks (about 1 minute per side). After grilling them, I use each half as a "boat" and top them with whatever I have on hand: cherry tomatoes, cucumber, shallots, red onion; avocado, bacon, salami, chicken, raspberries, strawberries, oranges, apples, almonds, pine nuts, parmesan, etc... As a dressing I usually use a simple mixture of balsamic vinegar and EVOO but creamy dressings are good as well.

Here's one of my posts about it: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152509/foie-gras-avocado-salami-parmesan-tomatoes-french-shallots

Options
    I dusted with DP Pineapple Head and it turned out great. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    For .99 cents it's worth a shot, I had it one time in a restaurant and it was excellent.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Best place to buy has to be Costco - six romaine hearts for under $4. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!