Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are some good sauces for pulled pork?

I am doing two 8# butts for some friends coming over and wanted to offer two or three options for sauce folks can choose. Any suggestions or recipes are welcomed. 

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• Stubbs spicy is pretty good but it has a kick. I actually prefer my butt without sauce (I think the meat should speak for itself) but I usually offer Stubbs and Sweet Baby Rays for guests.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • I use this one Pulled Pork Vinegar sauce 1 C white vinegar 1 C cider vinegar 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can) 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best) 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. cracked black pepper Makes 2 Cups Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time. And this one Caroline Red Sauce I add a finishing sauce to add to pulled pork leftovers for moisture. You might try that. Carolina Red is a go-to for me. 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup ketchup 1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper Stir all ingredients in small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Jack Daniels is the family favorite for sauce. I'm more of a let the smoke and meat stand on its own - no sauce.
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Carolina mop sauce or SC mustard sauce.

For me and mine, BBQ sauce doesn't contain ketchup.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited January 2014
    Our favorite store bought is actually Bullseye Carolina style... If you can get your hands on a bottle of orginal Williamson Bros sauce, it's always a crowd pleaser.

Dr. BBQ has a ribs app that has four or five recipes for some great sauces if you want to impress and do all homemade.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Gate;s, Sweet Baby Ray's or Blues Hog Tennessee Red are all good on pulled pork.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Oh yeah forgot about the mustard sauce..have it in the fridge in a squeeze bottle.. Mustard Vinegar Sauce 1 cup apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup Yellow mustard 1/4 cup onion finely minced 2 cloves garlic pureed 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes. Add a touch of honey if used for a mopping sauce/glaze
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I fill up a drip pan with water to catch the drippings so they don't burn then when I FTC the shoulders I seperate out most of the fat from the drippings then add some sweet BBQ sauce like blues hog or sweet baby rays for a little sweetness then add apple juice and apple cider vinegar and some franks or sriracha for a little spice. I leave it runny so the flavor isn't over powering but it still gives some flavor and keeps the pork from drying out after its pulled. I sauce it all with this but its so thin a sauce that people ask all the time if I have sauce until they try it.