Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newb here- looking to do 1st slow cook

Hi all.  The wife got me a BGE for Christmas and I've used it 6-7 times so far and have loved it!  

So far I've cooked pork (tenderloins and chops) and chicken (breast and halves) only... using direct heat.  I decided to get the wireless thermometer, which arrived earlier this week.

Here's my setup:
  • Large BGE
  • Electric starter
  • Fogo premium hardwood lump charcoal
  • Maverick ET732 wireless thermometer
  • GBE Plate Setter
I'd like to try my first slow cook.  Any advice?  I assume I should get a Boston Butt.  Here are the rubs that I have:
  • Dizzy Pig- Dizzy Dust
  • Chef Troy's Spice Mix- oregano, garlic, black peppr
  • 3 Beer BBQ Rub
I'd like to have this ready for lunch tomorrow (before my Panthers take on the 49ers).  

I know there's a plethora of recipes on the board, but being that it's my first time, any advice to a newbie would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Here is the step by step instructions I used on my first butt. Hope you find it useful and welcome to the BGE fun. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155049/rookie-first-boston-butt-with-forum-help#latest
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Indirect with your PS with a nice coating of Dizzy Dust. You didn't mention wood for smoke...my favorite is peach.
    Get your charcoal up to temp (240ish if your going low and slow, 350 if going fast)
    Add your wood (no soaking)
    Wait for the thick, white billowy smoke to turn to a clear blue translucent smoke, then add your meat.
    Go by internal meat temp, not by time. I take mine off at 195* internal temp

Have fun and enjoy!

Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    A Spatchcock chicken is also easy to do and always comes out great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • ColAngus
    ColAngus Posts: 123
    @captjo, when you say wait for the thick, white billowy smoke to turn to a clear blue translucent smoke, are you referring to letting the coals burn long enough before putting the meat on?

That's one thing that confuses me.  How long should I wait for the coals to burn before placing the meat?
  • Butts are easy and always come out great on the Egg. Have fun and remember to post pics!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The best handle I've seen...

What size butt?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • here is a YouTube video that i followed when i did my first BB. I know there are many ways to do them but being that i was new to the Egg I followed it and was a great experience. after your first you can do things your own way as you go along. Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfgg7w0pARs

Brandon, MS
  • If ordering from Dizzy Pig, I highly suggest using Pineapple Head on butts. SOOOOO tasty.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @ColAngus-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Regarding lighting the BGE and visual smoke-when you initially fire it up (with a fresh load of lump)  you need to let the VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds) burn off (the initial white smoke) before loading up the food you want to cook.  How long til the VOC's are gone-depends on the fire temp as a low&slow cook (< around 300*F) will take longer than a hot&fast fire.  The key is "when the smoke smells good" you are good to go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    I was going to offer some advice but I can't since my 1st team (Eagles) are out and my #2 team the 49ers are playing your panthers. :-)  Boston butts are pretty easy if you have the patience for them and I have not had one come out bad.  Post pictures when it's done! Go 49ers!
  • ColAngus
    I had some things come up and didn't have time to cook last night.  I hope to do this next weekend.

I ending up cooking my first filets last night.  Overcooked them X(  I relied solely on the thermometer... I wanted medium rare and they were medium well.  I think the problem was that I placed the thermometer horizontally in the larger steak (one was 6.75oz, other was 8.75). 

I pulled the steaks off when the internal temp hit 130.  But for some reason they cooked another 20 degrees once off.

I'm a little intimidated with the thought of a slow cook w/ pork if I can't even do a simple filet cook direct and high.

But I guess I gotta cut my teeth someday.  Will report back next weekend on my first try.

Thanks to everyone for their tips!

• Try not to be intimidated. (however, I was.). The egg is your friend, be "one with the egg'":. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Cover your plate setter to catch the drippings and enjoy! Pork butts are easy and forgiving Welcome
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I find a low n slow pork butt to be MUCH easier to nail than fillets.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Keep relying on your thermometer it's one of your best pieces of equipment.  Low and Slow is easy keep the faith. 
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited January 2014
    Listen here man,
    A good filet is SO much harder than a pork butt. With a Filet, you have a 3 minute window at the most to get it the way you want.

With a low and slow, you have a much larger window to get it right...An hour if you are really low and slow.

And remember, you can always cook it a little more if it's too rare, but it's impossible to fix an overcooked steak. For medium rare, I pull a steak out 125. Resting it will make it like butter.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• I am also a newbie, but my first attempt at a pork shoulder (aka Boston Butt) came out really good. I decided to try my first low and slow on a smaller piece of meat (~4 lb), specifically so that I could monitor the cook during the daylight hours. I rubbed the pork with a BBQ rub and a little olive oil the night before and wrapped it in plastic wrap. I got up reasonably early and started the BGE. I knew I would be tweaking the temp all day from a planned 250 degrees as I did not have much experience controlling the temperature. The whole cook lasted 10 hours and the whole family was raving about the result.

The BGE forum is really helpful, but also can be intimidating to anybody just starting out. My advice is to give it a go. The main thing to remember is that the BGE temperature does not need to be exactly a certain temperature during the cook (search for Turbo Butt for example), but the meat needs to be ~195-200 to complete the cook. Trust your temperature probe and enjoy the ride. Good luck!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Why? I don't cook anything overnight, no reason. I turbo butts, pork & beef ribs. Chickens in an hour and turkeys in 90 min.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

The best handle I've seen...

What size butt?

I'm with henapple. I'm still LOLing
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I am with @mickey on turbo. I haven't done an overnighter in over a year. I guess since I started reading here.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Welcome @Mkadilla and @ColAngus!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I just love Col angus but I could try enal angus. Blahahaha
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Low and slow takes about two hours per pound to help plan your meal. Foil, Towel in a cooler from the time it reaches 195-205 internal temp until time to serve. Cook to IT, not time, but a ball park idea always helps me plan meals.
    Personally, I rub put on at 250 dome, ps legs up and put butt on grill until done. Use wood chunks to taste and the rub is up to you. Never had a bad BGE butt.
    Bob sharing his limited experience.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    You really can't screw up a butt on the egg.  There also is no good reason to cook it at a really low temp like 225.  It takes takes longer to cook without any better results.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• ColAngus
    OK- this time I'm gonna do it!  

I just bought an 8 lb butt today... plan to eat it Saturday.

I think I'm going to brine it tomorrow morning.

One question- if I do low/slow, will I have to replenish the charcoal during the cook?

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Don't brine.. no need to reload. Fill it halfway up the ring.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ColAngus
    Put an 8 lb butt on the BGE 4 hours ago.

Trying to keep the temp at 230, but it's crept up to 245, with an IT of 133.

Is 245 too high???
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    You'll be fine even if it creeps to 300. Internal temp is all that matters.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • ColAngus
    I woke up at 6am to find that the BGE was down to 160 degrees, with an IT of 145.

I tried to get the cook temp back up by opening the damper, but I ended up having to take the meat off and adding some more charcoal.

Now the cook temp is 285 degrees, w/ an IT of 142.