Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Bourbon by Value

Options

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    If you want a good primer on whiskeys, check out Jason Pyle's blog sourmashmanifesto.com. Great reading and he's an Egghead. He's near Nashville.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    @CQuiz...good call on sourmashmanifesto.com. I just got sucked in for the last hour reading his reviews. Plus it turns out that he lives maybe 5 minutes from me. I probably walk right past him every time I go to the grocery store.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    Single Barrel Jack Daniels, smoothest bourbon I've had.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • GQuiz
    Options
    @canman If you're talking Tennessee Whiskey, you should give George Dickel Barrel Select a try. Delicious!

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    If you want a good primer on whiskeys, check out Jason Pyle's blog sourmashmanifesto.com. Great reading and he's an Egghead. He's near Nashville.
    I tried to go to his website, but Avast said threat (trojan) detected
  • GQuiz
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    I tried to go to his website, but Avast said threat (trojan) detected

Just went on the site and had no issues.  My Norton has no problem with it.  

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    Very Old Barton is a nice bourbon and is so cheap that most people dismiss it. It is a great value and here in Indianapolis I can buy the 86 proof for $20 for a 1.75L. I always have it at my house and it can stand up to most $30 per fifth bottles.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    WL Weller 12 yr $30 is the closed taste to Pappy. Another great choice us 4 Roses single barrel, both with a few drops of water, that's all!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Griffin. ..home brew at Salado?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    @henapple it's a possibility. It'll be bottled by then, but can't guarantee it will be bottle conditioned enough. If not, I still have a mixed case of cervezas and a Blue Moon type brew. Next on the list is going to be a bourbon barrel porter, but I don't think I'll even sample one till Thanksgiving.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Ended up grabbing Wild Turkey 101 because it was $16.  For some reason, alot of the "value" ones mentioned weren't as affordable the place I went.  Makes a good manhattan IMO.
    Also tasted some Angel's Envy, that stuff is amazing!!!
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    +1 on the Bulleit for a great value.  I just picked up a bottle of Breckenridge Bourbon and have been enjoying it.  Above the $50 cap in the initial post but, since everyone is sharing their dreams of a bottle of Pappy, I thought I'd recommend it.  Recently tried the Pappy 12 year at a bar in Chicago (the Gage) and thought it was great.  Another place (Gilt Bar) has the 23 year, but it was more than I felt like paying for one drink.  
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have tried a lot of the ones mentioned above and I would say that any of the Eagle Rare are the best value.  For those of you who like Buffalo Trace, I would recommend it.  The best way to describe it is that it's the Audi to Volkswagen.

On a side note, my brother got me a bottle of Willett.  Very smooth plus has a great looking bottle to sit on the bar.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• matthethamm
    Options
    Well with the news today about Jim Beam and Makers Mark being sold to the Japanese, I am going to have to find a new brand, and have to clean out the booze cabinet.
    It is a shame another American original is being sold to foreign interests.
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

On a side note, my brother got me a bottle of Willett.  Very smooth plus has a great looking bottle to sit on the bar.
    I have tried this and really like it as well.  It is under $30 in my area if I recall correctly.  Definitely a cool bottle, and it is bottom heavy so not easily knocked over.  A definite bonus for bourbon sampling: anti-spill bottles. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2014
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    http://youtu.be/_saLrADKqNM
    Well with the news today about Jim Beam and Makers Mark being sold to the Japanese, I am going to have to find a new brand, and have to clean out the booze cabinet.

• matthethamm
    Options
    Not you too Bill!!
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • GQuiz
    Options
    Seeing Buffalo Trace mentioned a lot. If you like it, try the bourbon cream... crack in a bottle. It's the same concept as Baileys but uses bourbon instead of Irish whiskey. Goes great in coffee.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Not you too Bill!!
    That's from Lost in Translation. I just thought it funny that I had heard the Suntory name before.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options

I agree although my 25% bump in the stock I own took some of the sting off
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Also can't believe no one has mentioned Fireball- if it's good enough for FGL it's good enough for me
    Greensboro, NC
  • Rebellab
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

I agree although my 25% bump in the stock I own took some of the sting off

Very nice!

LBGE South Dakota
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Also can't believe no one has mentioned Fireball- if it's good enough for FGL it's good enough for me
    I enjoy a good shot of fireball.  My local bartender made me a new one this weekend.  Fireball and Rumchata shots.  Very tastey.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Who is FGL?
  • matthethamm
    Options
    Florida Georgia Line
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Just a joke- it's in one of their songs. On another note, went to Carnevino last night. The steaks were decent but they had all the Pappy's available through 23 year- how the hell do they get enough bottles to put it on their menus? I'm jealous but took advantage of the situation and had a couple.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Ah, got it.

Picked up larceny.  $14 for a fifth after rebate out here.
    I like the flavors alot but very sharp and higher wheat content than I prefer I think.  I have more than enough whiskey now but loving it.
  • GQuiz
    Options
    Ah, got it.

Picked up larceny.  $14 for a fifth after rebate out here.
    I like the flavors alot but very sharp and higher wheat content than I prefer I think.  I have more than enough whiskey now but loving it.

What do you think about the finish? It seems like it disappears. Great taste. But it doesn't linger.

• DrMitchell
    Options
    Knob Creek is my favorite but best value is Costco's 1L for $20 (Kirkland's Signature brand); 103 proof and similar to Knob Creek just not aged as long (7 yrs old vs. 9).  Made by the same folks, same shape bottle, etc....
    Atlanta, GA
    Large BGE w/BBQ Guru & Compact Wood Table