Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

68 Inches of Back Ribs on

AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 1,124

Marinated 3 racks in a cherry cola, soya, garlic, apple cider vin, etc. The last rack was just rubbed with Dizzy Dust. Egg is at 225F, question is.

How long do you usually leave the first stage on for?

(Lovin the swing rack already by the way)

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

• AE...first off, props to you for egging with snow all around. I have some ribs on now. I usually roll smoke for 2 hours, foil for 1.5 hours, then sauce and go another .5 hours. This is at 275* though. So you may want to do a total of 5 hours to my 4. No more than 2 hours in the foil though. They will be falling apart.
  • AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 1,124

Im going to go 2-2ish-1 i think today. As long as they are done. On a bit of a time crucnh so i might bump up the temp a bit. And as for the snow, have a good 4' so far this year to date. So not much choice. Is a nice weekend though.

I'll be posting how they turned out.

All racks was a bit much to cook, but the kids love taking them for lunch, and we have a young nephew living with us who eats like a horse. He is the same hight as the ribs together are long, probably 150 lbs, and will probably eat half of these in one sitting. lol.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Good deal. Yes, picks of the final product.
    Small correction on the last rack - the first 3 were dusted with dizzy dust before going on. The last rakc (top) was rubbed with Swamp Venom...

Almost done, home made sauce (Cherry cola, ketchup, soya, cumin, cider, etc...) on the marinated ribs, and Tony Romas on the Swamp Venom.

2.5 - 1.5 - 1...(ish)

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,821
    Look good....nice color.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 10,558
    edited January 2014
    @Albertaegger- my hats off to anyone who carries the BGE torch in the weather you have had to date.  The -40*C/F is waaay below my threshold of pain.  That said, sounds like you are challenged by time to finish the ribs-if so, then the foil is the trick to punching them home unless you of turbo out of the gate.

And regarding the swing rack, I find that I can significantly increase the second level cook area by using a 17" weber grid directly on top of the CGW 15 " rack (LBGE) as long as I don't get too high up in the dome.  FWIW-
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,577
    Looks unbelievable. @Cazzy is right (unusual)..great color.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,473
    What size bge is that? M?
    BYS1981 said:

What size bge is that? M?

• Nice work AE! Hope they tasted as good as they look.
  • Where did you get that swinging grate at?
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,687
    DaBudDawg said:
    Where did you get that swinging grate at?
    It's a Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System
  • I Like the idea but for 125.00 kinda steep.  I picked up a complete used BGE large on craigslist for 250.00  with a plate setter and rib rack.  I got super lucky

2 LBGE's, Mathews Z7 Extreme putting meat in my EGG, Lovin life in South FL

• SocalcajudoSocalcajudo Posts: 132
    Looks really good. Nice job