Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Baby Back Ribs *advice*

Options
cothrift
cothrift Posts: 8
Hello all!

I got a XL BGE for Christmas, and let's just say "Best Christmas Ever"! Anyway, I wanted to slow cook 4 racks of ribs tomorrow for the football games. I have perfected my technique on my old gas grill ( pan of water with a grate over the top and racks on the grate at 275 degrees, 2 foiled cherry wood smoke stacks). I don't want to use this technique for a few reasons, one being I don't want water in my BGE and two my wife got me the BGE rib rack. I am open to suggestions on how I should make these, my initial thought is to settle the BGE at around 250-260, slow cook in the rack and then when ready take them to the grate for a searing.

I would love any advice or suggestions you guys can give me.

Thanks,
Cody

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    No need for a water pan.  If you really want to do them slow, this method has worked for me:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

But, turbo has worked just as well and is a lot faster and less work.
  • lrkay19
    lrkay19 Posts: 15
    Options

My best Ribs are the 5 hour method

21/2 hours at 225 250 indirect with your choice of rubs and smoke, I use shiggs rub and Hickory for smoke.

Pull after 21/2 hours and do a apple juice, honey ,brown  sugar, and more seasoning. mixture and give them a good basting wrap in foil and go back on for 21/2 hours.

I have them like this and do sauce on side

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

If you low and slow cook them indirect for X amount of time at @250, you will not need to sear them - they'll be incredible.  X is dependent on what kind of ribs you are preparing.  4 hours more or less for baby backs, 5 hours for St. Louis style.  Use the bend test for doneness.  Lift one end with tongs, and if you get a 90 degree bend, good to go. 

Foiling is a subject open to debate - there are as many ways to cook ribs as Carter has pills. Its not my preferred method.  If you foil, don't use too much liquid as you will loose the "bark".   

No need to wrap the smoking wood chips in foil.  If you can, use chunks mixed in with your lump.

Experiment - that's half the fun.  Each time I do ribs I try several rubs and sauces.  Still haven't found the perfect combination.  But no one has ever complained - the ribs come out soooo good.

Have fun!!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Some people brine them the night before. I have brined and not brined. Use any rub you wish but don't be timid. 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 is what I use. If the ribs are not very plyable then I use the 3-2-1 ortherwise I use the 2-2-1. The first step is in the rack at 225 and I use hickory chunks or you can use apple or cherry all do a good job. The next step is in the foil with some apple juce. Seal them real good and put the on the grate. After the fist step you are done with the rib rack. The last step is on the grate and the last 30 minutes you apply the sauce. 
  • cothrift
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys, great advice from everyone! I'll post some pictures when finished!

- Go Panthers!
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I've tried foiling, IMHO it adds nothing but an extra step.  Put 'em in at 250, go relax for 5 hours and then pull them off, always works for me.
    Pentwater, MI
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I use to foil as well but now. I just do what @ShadowNick does
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• cothrift
    Options
    I've never been a foil fan, but i like to hear other peoples thoughts on this. I bought a spray bottle and some apple cider vinegar today. I can't wait to cook tomorrow for my friends ( I might not get a good nights sleep)! I'm known as "The grill guy" but this will be my 2nd BGE cook, more excitement than nerves!

Again, thank you to the BGE community for your help!

-Cody
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    I learned the hard way that a lot of the stuff you see or read about people doing on other smokers is not needed on the BGE because it maintains moisture so well.  No need to lift the egg, spray every 30 minutes like some folks do.  I have also found it unnecessary to use a drip pan for anything other than to catch drippings.  The very best brisket and ribs I made on the egg I made without wrapping and with no liquid drip pan.  Just a word of advice based on my personal experience.  I hope it all works out well for you.  Go 49ers!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have never foiled or spritzed.  I rub and cook indirect at 300 dome, about 4 hours for St. Louis style which is all I have done. I use a rib rack and drip pan, If I ever put water in the pan it is for easier cleanup only.  I sauce them for the last 15-20 minutes.  Always good.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Looks great. How'd you end up doin them? Rub?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• cothrift
    Options
    I started out with a rub of mustard. Then I added a 1/3 cup of brown sugar per rack, rubbed it in. Last I layered them with sea salt, pepper, lemon pepper, cayenne and my own seasoning from central texas.