Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Who has a brick oven, Any recommendations?

13»

Comments

• right on NDG!  Hey, check out this page to four different dough calculators:

The top one will probably be the most useful unless you're using a starter like me, then you'll want the preferement.

I make mine usually around 65% hydration, sometimes 68% and do a 20% preferment that is at 100% hydration.  Hydration refers to the amount of flour vs water.  1000grams of flour and 600 grams of water = 60% hydration.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    one more question - what brand/kind of digital scale do you recommend? 

@ringkingpin  do you have a link for the $20 amazon scale you mentioned?

In closing - here is a cool video my sister shared with me - she lives in Brookyn and this guy is a pizza legend - going to try it over the holiday break . . . http://vimeo.com/16077855
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG, I goofed, it was 25 bucks.  I bought this for a friend.  I liked the fact it had 11lb capacity and he's been using it with no problem. 

Love the video!  Thanks for posting!

Brillat-Savarin
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    edited November 2013
    rtt121 said:
    Please tell me HOW there is ANY moisture which will affect a cook coming from a natural gas 60,000 BTU hurricaine burner? 
    C3H8(g) + 5 O2(g) → 3 CO2(g) + 4 H2O(g)

:P
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • yeah, yeah, I know there is a miniscule amount of moisture but I can guranatee you that nobody on this forum would be able to discern the difference if I baked one on one of my many friends WFO or on my 2stone.  
     Brillat-Savarin
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    QUICK UPDATE: over the holiday break I got a chance to eat at Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn, NY.  We arrived before they opened and waited in the rain for about an Hour.  We ordered 3 pizzas and overall wait time was around 2 hours (including the wait outside before they opened).  IT WAS PIZZA BLISS - best ever - crossed off my bucket list!

Here is the amazing video about this special pizza shop and below is a shot of the master cutting my pizza . .  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

I understand now why the Egg is not a brick oven. But a close second w/o having a brick oven. Works for me on pizza and bread.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    @NDG Cool video thanks for the post!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.