Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seem to be having issues

So I want you guys' opinion if I am actually having problems getting my Egg going or if this is typical and I'm just new to the Egg life:  So the past 2 cooks I've had trouble getting a good solid fire going.  The previous cook I couldn't really get the fire going and the temps didn't climb above 250 even with both vents wide open..I chalked this up to using smaller pieces of lump from the bottom of the bag and I figured it clogged up the vent holes in the bottom to prevent a good air flow.  Yesterday I cleaned the entire fire box and ash area out completely, Shop Vac'd the entire thing and opened a fresh bag of lump...I hand placed the lump in the fire box almost to the top and I used a lighter stick in the middle....Note*** I did take a few handfuls of remaining lump pieces( not dust just smaller pieces) from the bottom of my container and sprinkle them on top of the larger lump that was in the egg to not waste any and I figured they would burn quickly anyway.  After 10mins or so, the flames were burning pretty descent so I closed the top and attempted to regulate the temps.  After 20mins, the temps were not rising above 250 again....I opened the top and it seemed like the fire was trying to go out...so I placed another lighter stick in and kind of covered it up with larger pieces of lump to get a strong fire going.  This is where it got interesting....The fire quickly regained strength, however, the white smoke billowing out of the egg was quite powerful...I'm sure my neighbors thought my house was on fire with the amount of smoke coming from the egg...I then opened the top again and just let it burn for 10mins or so until the heavy smoke somewhat cleared...closed the top again and did get the temps to 350-400 which is where I wanted it, but this was after 45mins or more.  I have to think this is uncommon as the first 4-5 smokes I've done I did not experience this at all and have been successful getting the correct temp even after a short 30-45mins after starting.  What am I doing wrong??  I keep thinking the smaller pieces are having an effect, but if I discard the smaller pieces, I'll lose a 1/6th of the bag each time.  Sorry for the ramble, but thoughts and advise are truly appreciated...

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2014

I just dump in lump from the bag and go period (no stacking / no worry about little lump in the bottom). My first thought is be sure you ceramics is lined up with the bottom vent.  I do not use any top vent ever at all ( all control is with the bottom slide vent). To light I use a weed burner but you can use anything. Be sure the bottom vent is wide open, light, shut the top (w/o top daisy wheel). Never had a problem. I do shut the dome as soon as I light the lump ( 30 sec max).... the draw will light it

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

A few things to consider-thermo calibrated; fire box opening aligned with lower vent door; outside ambient temperature; dry lump used.  Beyond that as you note, the BGE is an air-flow driven machine.  If you have adequate fuel (and it sounds like you do) then the volume of air-flow determines the quantity of lump burning and thus the temperature of the BGE.  Putting larger pieces on the bottom and then stacking should give you decent air movement.  Wish I had more to offer.

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey as it can be a challenge at times.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I think I remember reading on here the other day someone was having an issue getting temps up and it was the screen on the lower vent was clogged. Couldn't see it from the out side but when removed it could ne seen on the inside, not letting air through. Might be worth a look !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Agree with @lousubcap on the airflow. The other thing I do different when using the starter cubes is I will cut the cube into 4 pieces and place at 12-3-6-9, light and cover with lump then about 10mins later I will close the dome with top & bottom vents wide open until I get to within 100* of my target temp and then start adjusting the vents.
    Your method of 1 starter is exactly how I start if I am goin low n slow.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    It must be airflow. If you have a burning lump (assuming it is good) and close the lid, you basically have a first generation blast furnace. With all vents open, the problem is preventing a runaway, not getting it up to heat.  
    Make sure fire box hole is lined up with lower vent and dome thermo calibrated. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I know a lot of people use weed burners, torches and starter sticks very successfully, but I have always just dumped lump in as Mickey stated and used a chimney with a few newspapers...I wanted to find a way to have less consumables...the lump in the chimney gets going pretty good after about 5-7 min and I dump it in close the lid...achieve temp in usually 10-15 min.  I have an XL so my holes in the bottom grate a pretty big...maybe smaller on the smaller eggs...I also clean my egg completely about every 40 lbs of lump used or before any very long cook.

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Thanks for the input...to clarify..I have the LBGE and I just opened and use BGE Lump as well...now, when you guys are talking about the fire box hole lining up with the lower vent...I'm not sure I understand...the store I bought it from delivered and set up,  and just yesterday came out to make adjustments to the top aligning properly...there aren't any leaks from the top, just needed a 1/4 in adjustment to get the top and bottom lined up properly.   When looking inside, the "crack" in the fire box is on the same side of the vent so I'm assuming this is what you're talking about...will try smaller pieces of starter placed in circle next time...
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I use the same kind of lump everytime and every so often I have a fire that don't do right.I think its damp lump r maybe the wood in that certain bag is a little different.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's a cut out on the bottom of the firebox. It needs to be aligned with the vent.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Mickey said:

I just dump in lump from the bag and go period (no stacking / no worry about little lump in the bottom). My first thought is be sure you ceramics is lined up with the bottom vent.  I do not use any top vent ever at all ( all control is with the bottom slide vent). To light I use a weed burner but you can use anything. Be sure the bottom vent is wide open, light, shut the top (w/o top daisy wheel). Never had a problem. I do shut the dome as soon as I light the lump ( 30 sec max).... the draw will light it

I do the same with my XL - dump the bag and light the fire using one Weber wax cube.  It usually takes about 20 minutes to get the fire ready.  It sounds to me like you are shutting the vents too early.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited January 2014
    If you get the High-Que charcoal grate, it eliminates any issue with the holes getting clogged. Highly recommend. As for lighting, all I do is pour from the bag, use a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil and it works pretty much every time. I do keep the lid up for about 5 minutes or so. And I don't use the daisy wheel on the top unless I am doing low and slow. Anything over 300-350 or so and I keep the top uncovered.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • The bottom cut-out in the red box needs to align directly with the bottom vent.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

You keep mentioning you are opening and closing the top. What do you mean by this?

After using the advice above about alignment of your firebox take a bag of charcoal and dump it into your clean egg. Fill it to half way up the fire ring, that is the piece that sits on top the firebox.

Open the bottom vent all the way.

Take a fire starter, I prefer a map torch, and light it in at least two places and shut the lid leaving the top off.

Now you essentially have a large chimney charcoal starter.

You should be getting up to temperature in 10-15 minutes. It might take a little longer for the bad smoke to disappear.

Remember, it is easier to control the temp on the way up then to try and bring it down so as you approach your target temp start shutting the lower vent put the daisy wheel on.

If this doesn't work it also sounds like your fuel, even though is BGE, might be a problem.

• I have had this problem on my Medium from time to time and I have never been able to figure out why. It has to be an airflow issue. My wife bought a spray bottle with a fan on it that I confiscated and now use to blow air in the bottom vent whenever I have this problem. After 10-15 mins the fire is usually rippin. I would double check your set up and make sure it is aligned properly. Maybe someone on here has a pic of their egg that the can share to give you an example if the pic that Nick posted didn't help
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • I'm going with damp lump
    Gittin' there...
  • I'd agree with fearless and anyone else that said to recalibrate your thermo. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Fire comes from FUEL, AIR and SPARK.  You got it lit so its not SPARK.  You had the bottom and top vents wide open so AIR should not be an issue (as long as you have the firebox cut out aligned to the lower vent; per shadownick).  You could have wet or bad lump.  That would explain the white smoke.  Cracks and air gaps should only negatively effect the ability to keep the temperature low.    
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • I'll check the alignment but I'm fairly certain it is aligned properly based on the picture ShadowNick posted.  The lump was/has been in the garage and not damp at all and the therm was just calibrated 2 cooks ago...Maybe it was because I covered up the starter stick with lump that caused such excessive white smoke...I'm talking it was A LOT of smoke!!  But as mentioned it eventually burned off after 30-45mins or so...Next cook I'll try the "clock" positioning with the starter sticks and let it burn with the lid open a little longer...Maybe its just the starters taking a bit longer to get the lump fully lit.  I need to get one of those torches you guys are talking about..sounds fun.  Thanks for all the suggestions/comments....