Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HEB Grocery Store Question.

We'll be in Texas later this month for our annual "waltz across Texas", where we spend about a month travelling around to see family, friends, and warm up a little bit. I grew up, for the most part, in San Antonio, so am very familiar with HEB stores. (My first job was at the HEB on Broadway in Alamo Heights, well before they modernized the store a number of years back). Someone told me that they now have special cuts of pork, etc, that are already brined. Has anybody seen this, and more importantly, are they any good??

While we're in Texas, we also plan on stocking up on Tellez tamales in SA, and Tallent sausage in Riverside, outside of Huntsville. We usually get enough to stretch out through the next year. May even try to get to Franklin's in Austin, besides the annual trip to Lockhart.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Get some of this. It's like crack.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    caliking said:

Make nachos with them. It will blow your mind.

Use those jollys and blues hog honey mustard. Fry your own flour tortillas.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Go to Lupe Tortilla and buy flour tortillas...seriously good
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • I have not seen any pre brined pork at HEB. I could have missed it but I've never been impressed with their pork selection. They have some marinated pork tenderloins that are pretty good but I wouldn't go out of my way for them.
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    The central market HEB in Alamo Heights may have them.  I have seen some prepped items in the butchers cases, but usually do my own.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    caliking said:

That's hilarious. ..I was going to say to stock up on those. I'm out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    If any of you Texas boys ever venture near Athens, GA, I want to set up an exchange. I want some of those peppers and some Blues Hog sauce!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Mayberry said:
    If any of you Texas boys ever venture near Athens, GA, I want to set up an exchange. I want some of those peppers and some Blues Hog sauce!

PM me your address. If I can't fit 'em in to bring 'em home, I'll see about shipping you some.
    If I can bring them with me, I'm not that far from Athens, just up the road in Clayton,Ga.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    @mayberry Blues Hog is available on Amazon.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    @mayberry Sorry, the shipping is outrageous.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You need both of these from HEB. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited January 2014
    This ain't bad. Found at HEB. I drink the Vinegar. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    henapple said:
    That's hilarious. ..I was going to say to stock up on those. I'm out.
    I give to henapple for massive amounts of OO..... Same markup as crack

• Mickey
    HEB has it all. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• travisstrick
    The blues hog is only $3.00 a bottle now.
  • warwoman said:

While we're in Texas, we also plan on stocking up on Tellez tamales in SA, and Tallent sausage in Riverside, outside of Huntsville. We usually get enough to stretch out through the next year. May even try to get to Franklin's in Austin, besides the annual trip to Lockhart.

You should start making your own tamales and sausages. That's what I do to satisfy my urges.

Hope you have a good trip!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    The blues hog is only $3.00 a bottle now.
    They mark things up when they see Mickey coming...

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    How much do the candied jalapenos cost in Tay-haas? I found them online for 7 bucks.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The word is out...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Eggcelsior -  Once @Mickey posted a pic of the jar of those candied jalas late last summer I too found them on-line for that price. I believe you have to clear $50 for free shipping so I ordered 8 jars.  About time to reload the jalas as they are much more "next day friendly" than the straight-up version. FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Mayberry said:

Get your Blues Hog here, shipping in the past has been reasonable.

http://shop.straubs.com/search.aspx?keyword=blues hog

• travisstrick
    How much do the candied jalapenos cost in Tay-haas? I found them online for 7 bucks.
    About $4 like cali said but they have $.75 off every other month or so. I buy a few jars at a time. Get some. Tacos and nachos will never be the same. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Mickey said:
    You need both of these from HEB. image

Are these jalapenos in a sugar brine? Me and my buddy tried a mixture of vinegar, sugar, lots of chopped garlic and jalapenos and put them up in jars. He may add salt also. They were fantastic and we thought we invented something.

I nicknamed them jalapeno candy never knowing these existed.

He still makes them every year.