Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Recommended Stuff

I don't want a whole room full of egg accessories, but what do you all consider the must haves? Thanks.

Homewood, AL
Lg BGE, Green Weber Performer, Green Weber Genesis

Comments

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,563
    Thermapen and AR with slide guides and extender.Love my propane torch too!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,458
    What @canman1976 said.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    +1 on thermapen.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Thermapen

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• RACRAC Posts: 1,526
    Thermapen and AR with slide guides and extender.Love my propane torch too!!!
    +2

Ricky

Spring, TX

• MayberryMayberry Posts: 466
    Thermapen is a must have. Also a good remote thermometer like the Maverick ET-732. Besides that, I love my Mapp torch to light the Egg and small, compact Craftsman Shop Vac to clean it out.
    Athens, GA
  • Plate setter ,cast iron grid , thermopen ,Vrack and if you want to get a little out of control a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,563
    Hugh que fire grate,smokehouse stainless cap the list goes on and on and on.......lol
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,124
    As you can see, its not about WANTING a room full of eggcessories. You WILL end up with that roomful of stuff :)

The number one thing IMO is a reliable instant thermometer, like the Thermapen or some other offerings from Thermoworks. Cooking to (internal) temp, not time will up your game exponentially. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tcampbelltcampbell Posts: 646
    Plate setter and a good pair of gloves
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,124
    #1 with a bullet is a thermapen or a similar quality instant read thermometer. This has improved my cooking in the kitchen and outside.  Nothing helps a cook better then knowing exactly where he/she stands when it comes to food temps. 

Other then that it depends on how you are going to use your egg and what kinds of cooks you are going to do.  I like what at @mickey said in another thread that I believe was your welcome post.  You will get 5 different answers and 4 of them would be right. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • warwomanwarwoman Posts: 228
    tcampbell said:
    Plate setter and a good pair of gloves

Besides Thermapen, +1 on gloves, preferably welders gloves that go up the arm a ways! Nice to have for the inevitable time you forget about the possibility of flashback!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,664
    Beer...use the thermapen to check for maximum coolness.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2014
    Gloves, cast iron skillet, AR, thermapen, Maverick, Betty Crocker cookbook, and a nice apron.
    Dunedin, FL
  • pabpab Posts: 99
    For me, the adjustable rig, stone and grid extended first and thermapen second. Just my opinion though.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    A huge cabinet to store all your stuff in, cause you're going to get a bunch of Eggcessories!

I'd start with the Thermopen
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 806
    I'm with Charlesmaneri but I would swap out the BBQ Guru for a Pizza Stone.  I believe you need to learn how to do it manually first without the fancy automation.  Nothing breeds success like failure.  Good luck.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE 
  • 500500 Posts: 1,781
    Thermopen changed how I cook.  Then, plate setter, pizza stone, some type of way to raise the cooking grid up into the dome for raised direct, then a Maverick ET wireless therm with the smoke and meat probes was very helpful on low and slow cooks, a weed burner and propane tank for quick and easy lighing of the Egg, and so on and so on.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • I have a good all clad instant read thermo now (another gift), but I will look into the Thermapen.  Have the gloves and plate setter.  Right now I just want to get it together and get cooking.  Work and the weather are not helping.

Thanks

Homewood, AL
    Lg BGE, Green Weber Performer, Green Weber Genesis